Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mont Ventoux - 'Bike on Bike' action

This is a photo of the rack up close, which is very solid and doesn't cause any damage to the bicycle. With a carbon bicycle, it's probably lighter than a topbox and I didn't really notice any issues with cross winds. I'm sure there are a few different ways of carrying a bicycle on a motorbike but I've used this solution quite a few times now and it works. Normal towing rules apply so you need a flag if it overhangs and can't obscure your tail light / number plate...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    My hero ... I did it with 1200cc and struggled ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jallani View Post
    This is a photo of the rack up close, which is very solid and doesn't cause any damage to the bicycle. With a carbon bicycle, it's probably lighter than a topbox and I didn't really notice any issues with cross winds. I'm sure there are a few different ways of carrying a bicycle on a motorbike but I've used this solution quite a few times now and it works. Normal towing rules apply so you need a flag if it overhangs and can't obscure your tail light / number plate...
    Fair enough
    But I guess I'm just old school "if it looks dangerous it is dangerous"

I've seen the cycle fame stripped of forks, wheels, saddle and handlebars with the frame over a pannier and with fixing to top box, wheels other side and I guessed that the other bits were bagged over the top box.
    A GS A carried the stripped down bike laid flat on mountings behind the rider and over panniers.

Watch out for the b'stards they're out to get you

I know the LC has a bit of a reliability reputation but carrying a push bike is that not a bit ott

As a biker and cyclist I salute you. That is a serious climb on a pedal bike, to carry it there on your BMW great. Not many people in that club. Certainly not me. :

If you are going to come up with a daft idea .. make it a big one!

brilliant achievement. Well done

Well done, as a Biker and cyclist I also salute you sir

You're never alone with schizophrenia

A proper post/thread

Thanks for sharing that
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    What an awesome trip Jallani! Glad to hear everything went well and you got some great riding in on both sets of wheels! In case anyone is interested we are 2x2 Cycles, the manufacturers behind the bicycle carrier seen in the photos. We're not really into giving the whole sales pitch thing so if you're interested in this or a similar setup, feel free to check out our website or give us a call! We fit many motorcycles and have been manufacturing racks for a number of years.

Linky not working

Quote Originally Posted by dr nosh View Post
    Linky not working
    this may work https://2x2cycles.com/ it does indeed work.

small world

Well done Jallani

Had a similar idea to these racks and came across the same one as well as another American one a while ago - cant remember the make.
    Queried legality with DVLA etc and no problem with them.
    Was only planning on getting the rack to get to & from UK sportives etc.
    Quite coincidentally missed out on my local cycling groups french tour earlier this year that included Ventoux
    So, inspired by your efforts I feel next year I might be retracing your trip, albeit taking a few more days for the whole thing.
    Dont fancy 700' in a day really and not into motorways on the bike if there are other options.
    Not heard of the 3 ascents in a day option, so best get training. If you are going to do Ventoux, might as well do it properly.........
    Might live to regret that statement ....

Well Done Sir!

Respect.

I remember when this was a fledgling idea on Advrider and gave it serious consideration. However, I wanted it mainly for daily mountainbike rides and didn't fancy the idea of going for a ride, getting back to the bike covered in sweat and muck and then having to put my biking gear on to ride home, so didn't take it any further. When camping though, so you have a handy shower, it's an effective way of transporting your bicycle if you only have a bike as your main form of motorised transport and you get the double pleasure of riding twice.
    However, now that I have a camper and the luxury of time, I don't need to rush a trip, so I can camp in comfort and take both bike and mountainbike with me at the same time.

If quitters never win and winners never quit... What idiot came up with 'Quit while you're ahead'??????

Well impressed with that. Having cycled up the Ventoux more than once back in the late 70's, early 80's... Motorbike on a few other occasions to watch the TDF and this year in the Camper.
    I must say this has given me food for thought as I intend to watch TDF next year and cycle it once again.Maybe I can go on the R100R after all
    The purpose of man is to live, not exist !!
    I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them..........
    I will use my time !!
    BMW 1100GSA (on steroids)
    BMW R100R Mystik
    BMW Z3
    Prospector Kevlar Canoe.
    Racelight road bike
    Stihl chainsaw

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast