2nd hand GS v New V Strom 1000

KTM 1050...Cracking bike, and some cracking deals on the few that are left.

Guzzi Stelvio....Another great bike, and again some great VFM bikes out there

Here's another curve ball

Honda Crosstourer

They're largely overlooked but apart from a bit of weight when pushing it around they are an excellent bike

Stonking engine, very comfy 1 or 2 up, reliable, good handling once the standard suspension is set up and if you try the DCT it's bloody brilliant :thumb2

I have one and it's brilliant , as you say, but I'm not sure i'll still be riding something as big and as heavy as a CT when I am 70 ;)

The 2015 Honda VFR800 Crossrunner is a massively impoved bike over the original and won a group test in one the mags last year :thumb

Those are incredibly helpful responses - thank you so much to all of you. Re a heavy bike at 70 - I can see where you're coming from but I've come to the conclusion that I do prefer 'heavy' for the stability you get on the move. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam (my wife reckons I'm deformed as when we go to the cinema I'm the same height as she is sitting down). So hence the move from the Bandit. That gives me a bit of an advantage in that I can "paddle" a big bike around without too much trouble.

Super Ten? VFR Crosstourer (yes, it does seem to be overlooked)? Kwacker 1000? MT-09? Blimey, great stuff. Hours of happy research ahead of me. I'll let you know what I get and why. But really grateful to all of you. thanks a lot.

...........Just in passing, Packer, you seem to have a Super Tenere - what do you think of it? ...

Superb and very underated bike. Very stable, far better in cross winds than my 1150GS was, easy 230 miles on the 23 litre tank with 3-4 litres still in the tank. Suspension not the best but good enough.

The biggest downside and probably the reason for so many negative comments from the media is the power restrictions in the first three gears which are probably intended to make it easire to control on dirt roads. It means it doesn't feel anything like as sprightly as it should. The torque figure is right up there at around 85 ft/lbs. Reliability and finish seems exemplary. Mine runs better, has smoother pickup and feels much livelier after Hilltop worked their magic.

Get down to your friendly BMW dealer and take a 800GS out for a few hours, great bikes and superb economy high 60's, makes your pension go further..... And there will be plenty of bikes in your price range.... Very underrated bike, at least you can try one, and then tick it off your list of possible:thumb2

Superb and very underated bike. Very stable, far better in cross winds than my 1150GS was, easy 230 miles on the 23 litre tank with 3-4 litres still in the tank. Suspension not the best but good enough.

The biggest downside and probably the reason for so many negative comments from the media is the power restrictions in the first three gears which are probably intended to make it easire to control on dirt roads. It means it doesn't feel anything like as sprightly as it should. The torque figure is right up there at around 85 ft/lbs. Reliability and finish seems exemplary. Mine runs better, has smoother pickup and feels much livelier after Hilltop worked their magic.

I may be wrong but I thought those power restrictions on the first three gears were on the pre 2014 models. In sport mode my 2014 model feels very spritely, tour mode I use for general plodding about.
Agree about the rest, a very underated bike. Recent Bike magazine group test gave it a decent review for whatever that is worth.

Yam Tracer 900 - that's food for thought. Never crossed my mind. Cheers guys.

I bought a new one and sold it after 8 months going back to a GS as the fueling on the Tracer was terrible in traffic with the hunting becoming just frustrating. Fast light and fun to ride on the open road but in traffic I hated it. Best move I made going back to a GS after trying a few other bikes. I havent tried the V Strom though

I had the Vstrom 1000 prior to getting the 2011 TC ADV. Was a good bike but build quality a bit shoddy in places. In 9000 miles / 1 year I had, new panniers, new chain, rear shock and a complete wiring loom. ( Wiring issues are now fixed on all the 1000's after a recall. ) I liked the bike though, handled and went well. Prefer this GS though, bit heavier but much more poke and just as good fun. ( Also got the tank range I was looking for. )

Definitely a GS. I always wanted one and the nearest I got to getting one was a Triumph 1050 until I saw an 08 GS1200 but it had high mileage 32k but I thought blow it it was at a price I could afford so I will chance it.
That was three years ago and I still love it. A tyre company damaged a TPS but I am still managing to use it other than that its been great.
Ok its not the quickest bike I have ever owned but even with the standard can fitted I just love the roar I get pulling out of roundabouts.

At 65 I too am on a pension so its probably my last bike but if I was to change it it would be for a later one.

Get down to your friendly BMW dealer and take a 800GS out for a few hours, great bikes and superb economy high 60's, makes your pension go further..... And there will be plenty of bikes in your price range.... Very underrated bike, at least you can try one, and then tick it off your list of possible:thumb2

+1 on the 800GS but the 700GS is a better road bike and basicly the same but road wheels and a tad smaller and dont think because the engine it down a few BHP on the 800GS is a problem in the real world there is next to nothing noticeable difference in performance

+1 800gs.
If you're happy with a heavier bike and on a pension may suggest an 110gs for reliability and build quality - fit a gsjohn chip and over 50 mpg no problem. For a more modern bike I would probably go for a Super Ten.

Whatever you decide - keep going, good man :thumb2

Well, things have progressed a bit and I'm hoping for a bit more of your amazing 'collective wisdom'. Took the V-Strom out again for longer and was disappointed to have pins and needles in my right hand which caused me to stop after half an hour. According to "Stromtroopers" forum, it's not uncommon. Never had it with my 650 Strom and don't get it with the Bandit.

Re the Yam Super Tenere. Very tempted but I can't find a 2014 + 2nd generation that's fully loaded (3 boxes, Engine Bars, Fogs, Ally skid plate etc) for my price range (£8,000). There's a few 1st generation ones with the above but I read that the 1st gen are prone to handlebar vibration which is cured in the 2nd gen - true or rubbish Packer? Not so bothered about the restriction in the first 4 gears. The riding I do is not particularly fast but is long so I'm looking for comfort and a full pannier set and the other stuff (which is at least £1,500 extra to a basic bike). I sat on an ex-demonstrator ST (too pricey and nothing on it in terms of boxes etc) at a local dealer and it felt really good, especially with the seat in the highest position.

Re the Honda Crosstourer: I sat on one but was a little disappointed that the seat was a bit low for me (and no adjustment). Super build quality though. Again, the Versys 1000 is still a little low in the seat for me.

The only bikes I can find that have the lot: 3 boxes, E/B, Fogs etc and are tall enough for me are the good old GSs. I'm trying out the
2012 tomorrow. It's done 18,000 miles. The only question mark is that it comes with a 3 month warranty from a non 'BM dealer. I've also found a 2010 'Anniversary Edition' which has done 16,000 miles from a BM dealer and it comes with a 2 year 'Roadside Assist' warranty. That may be the clincher. 2 years older but a 2 year warranty. Both are pretty much the same price. Any thoughts or advice on that?

Cheers and thank you so much to all of you. It has really helped in my decision making. I may be back in the fold.

..................Re the Yam Super Tenere. Very tempted but I can't find a 2014 + 2nd generation that's fully loaded (3 boxes, Engine Bars, Fogs, Ally skid plate etc) for my price range (£8,000). There's a few 1st generation ones with the above but I read that the 1st gen are prone to handlebar vibration which is cured in the 2nd gen - true or rubbish Packer? Not so bothered about the restriction in the first 4 gears. The riding I do is not particularly fast but is long so I'm looking for comfort and a full pannier set and the other stuff (which is at least £1,500 extra to a basic bike). I sat on an ex-demonstrator ST (too pricey and nothing on it in terms of boxes etc) at a local dealer and it felt really good, especially with the seat in the highest position. ..................................

Mine is first gen and I've never noticed any significant vibration, it's better than the 1150GS was in that respect. Don't bother with the Yam panniers, they aren't generally held in high regard and the bike key ony goes part way into the box locks and it's apparently very easy to bend or break the key. I've got a set of Vern's Worldbeaters on mine.

I also got a set of Altrider stainless crash bars at a very low cost from a UK supplier, excellant bars, well thought out with good solid mounting points. I got Daytona heated grips fitted to mine which work really well. Almost too hot with muffs fitted.

Hi Running Antelope. I've just gone from a 2014 V-Strom 1000 ABS to a new F800GS Adventure. After two years of trying, I really struggled to gel with the V-Strom and found it very agricultural compared to the F800. Lumpy running (even with the J02 ECU upgrade), clunky gears, harsh suspension, noisy, crap screen causing really bad turbulance and vibration through the handlebars (as you've found out). It's a grunty motor and very comfortable but the F800 outshines it in many many ways. The F800 is silky smooth with a wonderful gearbox and great throttle control (ride by wire now). Some have mentioned the Crosstourer and I think that should also be a worthy contender especially if you can get a DCT version (reduction in rider workload must be a good thing for us pensioners) - they are however expensive new! A new F800 is within the price range of a new V-strom 1000 so don't dismiss it!

Great suggestions.

I'm not going to question your preference for weighty bikes you're a tall chap and plenty have been suggested but as a mostly one up bike with luggage and only occasional two up use maybe consider one of the lighter options?

The new Tenere, rather than ST, might be worth waiting for, should be based round the MT-07 motor ie 75bhp ish, no doubt more expensive than the Tracer 700 but probably within your budget and, if they get it right should give you many years of good service.

It's a bike I'm watiing to see with some anticipation so if it's crap I'll be disappointed too:)

Mine is first gen and I've never noticed any significant vibration, it's better than the 1150GS was in that respect. Don't bother with the Yam panniers, they aren't generally held in high regard and the bike key ony goes part way into the box locks and it's apparently very easy to bend or break the key. I've got a set of Vern's Worldbeaters on mine.

I also got a set of Altrider stainless crash bars at a very low cost from a UK supplier, excellant bars, well thought out with good solid mounting points. I got Daytona heated grips fitted to mine which work really well. Almost too hot with muffs fitted.

I've also got a first gen (2013) S10, and have not noticed any significant vibration at any speed, it is a fantastically comfortable and well sorted bike.

The Yamaha panniers are not well thought of because they are a little awkward to connect to the bike - until you've done it a few times and got the hang of it. I imagine most testers get the bike for a short period and don't really have time to to work the system out (ok, why should they need to - I get it, but if your not in a rush...). The locks are a bit stiff in use so they need to be kept greased, I use a silicone spray now and again.

The long ignition key only part fits the lock and feels like it could twist and snap in use. I had a spare key cut for £4 at a high street lock smith/shoe repairer and am using this instead of the ignition key and have not had any problems.

The speed restriction in the first three gears is only an issue if you like blazing away from traffic lights, if you're a steady rider and happy with quick rather than blistering performance you won't notice it.

There are plenty of first gen S10's about for less than £8k with Yamaha luggage and other goodies, I reccomend you get one, you won't be dissapointed

Back
Top Bottom