2nd hand GS v New V Strom 1000

The Anniversary edition GS seems to hold its value better than most other GS variants, and it's fully kitted. You could do a lot worse. As with any bike the suspension will be past it's best by 20k miles and the ESA is very expensive to replace , though it can be refurbished at reasonable cost.

I had a 2015 S10 and have traded it for a new GS 1200 TE . I wasn't going to as I had researched my choice well at the time. Excellent reliability was a great consideration. Then I test rode a couple of new GS's with my partner who needed to change her bike. and .....well.....Riding the GS highlighted a few niggles with the Yam and the GS is just a level up overall in most departments to be honest. I didn't like the Yams fuelling . in normal or S mode I found it snatchy , and imprecise when moving off sometimes stalling . coming to a stop it would sometimes stall particularly when you wanted to get on the throttle again like turning at junctions resulting nearly binning it a couple of times. The softer T mode I found frustratingly low power and could not live with it in that mode . I want to use all the power. I found it difficult to set up the electronic suspension right for me. It was ok but surpassed by the BM. Dealer said fuelling was as they come, They all do that Sir ! Another issue was spokes coming loose in the rear wheel , common and seemingly hit and miss wether you suffer from losing spokes and resultant damage on their way out. Some have had major problems that all attempts to cure have failed, spokes are only zinc plated and corrode easily if not ACF 50'd etc. So all bikes have their issues. But overall I just felt the BM nailed it for me and the more I ride it the more impressed by its abilities I become. Time will tell on reliability but Although not having given Yam warranty a work out I am confident in BMW. Oh yeah small thing but BM key is quality Yam ignition keys are made of butter metal and the luggage locks are pants and fall apart. I had er Issues ! Only minor niggles but nothing is perfect . :)

A brand new F800 (or F700) GS is the way to go .
Take a test ride and let us know how you get on ?

I'm confident you'll love it.

Another one to condsider is the triumph Tiger 800, a smooth and strong engine and vey easy to ride.

Aaaaand the winner was...........(Pause for dramatic effect.................) ??

I test rode a GS800 recently and liked it. It's certainly easier to move around under foot power then a 1200 but I found the seat a bit narrow for comfort., on longer rides this would put me off.

Well, things have progressed a bit and I'm hoping for a bit more of your amazing 'collective wisdom'. Took the V-Strom out again for longer and was disappointed to have pins and needles in my right hand which caused me to stop after half an hour. According to "Stromtroopers" forum, it's not uncommon. Never had it with my 650 Strom and don't get it with the Bandit.

Re the Yam Super Tenere. Very tempted but I can't find a 2014 + 2nd generation that's fully loaded (3 boxes, Engine Bars, Fogs, Ally skid plate etc) for my price range (£8,000). There's a few 1st generation ones with the above but I read that the 1st gen are prone to handlebar vibration which is cured in the 2nd gen - true or rubbish Packer? Not so bothered about the restriction in the first 4 gears. The riding I do is not particularly fast but is long so I'm looking for comfort and a full pannier set and the other stuff (which is at least £1,500 extra to a basic bike). I sat on an ex-demonstrator ST (too pricey and nothing on it in terms of boxes etc) at a local dealer and it felt really good, especially with the seat in the highest position.

Re the Honda Crosstourer: I sat on one but was a little disappointed that the seat was a bit low for me (and no adjustment). Super build quality though. Again, the Versys 1000 is still a little low in the seat for me.

The only bikes I can find that have the lot: 3 boxes, E/B, Fogs etc and are tall enough for me are the good old GSs. I'm trying out the
2012 tomorrow. It's done 18,000 miles. The only question mark is that it comes with a 3 month warranty from a non 'BM dealer. I've also found a 2010 'Anniversary Edition' which has done 16,000 miles from a BM dealer and it comes with a 2 year 'Roadside Assist' warranty. That may be the clincher. 2 years older but a 2 year warranty. Both are pretty much the same price. Any thoughts or advice on that?

Cheers and thank you so much to all of you. It has really helped in my decision making. I may be back in the fold.

Drum roll ...............gs or vstrom ??

Have Vstrom 1000 2006 model owned it for 5 years toured Scotland, Germany and Austria a couple of times and General use never missed a beat excellent bike! However just about to buy a 2012 Tmin cam GS, hope its as reliable, but have a desire to own one. Vstrom a very good bike!

Great suggestions.

I'm not going to question your preference for weighty bikes you're a tall chap and plenty have been suggested but as a mostly one up bike with luggage and only occasional two up use maybe consider one of the lighter options?

The new Tenere, rather than ST, might be worth waiting for, should be based round the MT-07 motor ie 75bhp ish, no doubt more expensive than the Tracer 700 but probably within your budget and, if they get it right should give you many years of good service.

It's a bike I'm watiing to see with some anticipation so if it's crap I'll be disappointed too:)

+1 to all of that.. I rode the MT07 and its motor is not just very lively, it has in my opinion far more character than many of the other suggestions (with the probable exception of the v-twins) whilst at the same time being quite long legged. In MT guise it's very light too. I think it will have a huge impact on the middleweight adventure market - I can't wait to ride one.

Paul g

2nd hand GS

my mate has just got a versys pardon the spelling,and he cant ride it, he had an aprilia pergaso beforehand that he rode brilliantly,but following him on his new kawasaki,he just cant seem to ride it........

Back
Top Bottom