2nd hand GS v New V Strom 1000

Running Antelope

Reaction score
Morning everyone, a strange question in a GS forum I know, but I trust you blokes and blokesses. I've had 3 Gss in the past and loved them: two 1150s and a 1200. Was on the forum years ago (with a previous u/n) and got loads of helpful replies and used Neil for servicing etc. For various reasons I won't bore you with, I've been on an old Bandit 1200S for the past few years and it's done me proud. I use a bike for European trips of fairly lengthy distances - Arctic Circle, Eastern Europe etc.

I'm 70 next birthday and have scraped together enough dosh to get a bike which will be easier for my old knees, hence the question. Can't afford a new GS (on my pension) so it's down to that choice. I've seen a 2012 R1200GS with 18,000 on the clock. It's that or a new 1000 V-Strom. My heart says "GS" but my head and my pocket says "V-Strom." From the point of view of reliability, what do you think of that age of GS? Anything to look out for? It's a one owner with FSH from a BMW dealer (but not being sold by them but an independent trader).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Cheers!

BMW but you need the 2 year warranty that you get from a dealer. JJH

I would also consider the KTM 1050/1190 given the offers at present with the arrival of the new models.

If I was forced between your 2 choices I would take the Suzuki for it's reliability - the BM is 4 years old. Also, as you have has GSs in the past why not try something different?

Have you test ridden the Strom 1000? I found the 650 a lovely bike but the 1000 a bit of a heavy pig compared to the GS (similar on paper but just felt a lot less nimble on the move)

However, if you like the ride of the Strom, it's a lot of bike for the money and will likely be totally reliable and hassle free. Having said that my 2012 GS has also been completely reliable and hassle free!

The GS is already four years old. If it is loaded with electronics I'd kick it into touch as repairs will be expensive. The final drives give problems but not as much as the 1150's did. The engine, clutch and gearbox should be good for over 100,000 miles. Some bikes seem to suffer a lot of corrosion.

For reliability I'd go with the Suzuki. However, unless you still ride hard and fast, possibly with a pillion and a lot of luggage, I'd look at the Wee Strom not the 1,000. A very capable machine, weighs less, uses less fuel so easier on your pension and owners seem to really love them. Still has a chain to deal with of course but a good Scotoiler helps with that for road use.

For reliability I'd go with the Suzuki. However, unless you still ride hard and fast, possibly with a pillion and a lot of luggage, I'd look at the Wee Strom not the 1,000. A very capable machine, weighs less, uses less fuel so easier on your pension and owners seem to really love them. Still has a chain to deal with of course but a good Scotoiler helps with that for road use.

I'd agree, but actually the 650 is probably a better bike for riding enthusiastically - it handles really nicely. I'd only go for the 1000 if you're doing a lot of 2up riding.

Personally I wouldn't get either in your position....I would go for the Yam Tracer 900. More power than both, cheaper, holding price well. The VStrom depreciation is savage so absolutely wouldn't buy without a massive discount or a pre reg.

However, if pushed I would go for the GS...they are probably a bit less reliable the the V but not by much, you will enjoy it more and suffer much less depreciation...assuming that is a factor. IF you have some reliability issues then it is likely to be either the final drive or rear shock that goes. £450 for a full FD rebuild and £150 for a rear shock rebuild. As for the comments on corrosion...all bike corrode.....except my 2010 Twin Cam that did 50k all weathers and no corrosion....same as my 2008 and my 2013. The same cannot be said for the V I saw outside the Honda dealer in read that was 18 months old and looked shocking.

I'd go GS, the last of the TC's were the best (imho) for me it's interesting vs boring. Ultimately you must buy what your heart tells you you want, otherwise you'll be forever kidding yourself/having to justifying you made the right choice.

Personally I wouldn't get either in your position....I would go for the Yam Tracer 900. More power than both, cheaper, holding price well. The VStrom depreciation is savage so absolutely wouldn't buy without a massive discount or a pre reg.

However, if pushed I would go for the GS...they are probably a bit less reliable the the V but not by much, you will enjoy it more and suffer much less depreciation...assuming that is a factor. IF you have some reliability issues then it is likely to be either the final drive or rear shock that goes. £450 for a full FD rebuild and £150 for a rear shock rebuild. As for the comments on corrosion...all bike corrode.....except my 2010 Twin Cam that did 50k all weathers and no corrosion....same as my 2008 and my 2013. The same cannot be said for the V I saw outside the Honda dealer in read that was 18 months old and looked shocking.

Yep, you win.

Suspension is a bit crude, but a stonking machine with a lot of character. Fast, smooth, handles, comfy, light, reliable, cheap. Upgrade the shock and have someone fettle the forks and it's a real world weapon of a bike.

Yep, you win.

Suspension is a bit crude, but a stonking machine with a lot of character. Fast, smooth, handles, comfy, light, reliable, cheap. Upgrade the shock and have someone fettle the forks and it's a real world weapon of a bike.

I believe the suspension has been improved for 2017 bikes....but you're right, for the saving you could put a decent shock on and still have change...then sell it when you sell the bike and get half your money back.

Wow, thank you all for those incredibly helpful observations. I remember now why I used to think this is easily the best bike forum on the net. I didn't say, but I have had a V-Strom 650 and really liked it apart from one thing: it is really bad in strong winds. I got it after I owned the GSs and there was no comparison with stability when things got really breezy. I know I might be opening myself up to lectures on how to ride in strong winds but please not! I've been fortunate enough to have have been riding for 50 years all over the world - I used to be based in Indo China and rode singles in monsoons. Not saying I'm a good rider at all - in fact I really don't think I am but just saying I hate strong/cross winds and I do know that some bikes are better than others in this regard. I've tried the V-Strom 1000 and the very thing that was commented on, that it's a bit ponderous compared to the 650, is the very thing I liked about it. It felt more solid/stable than the 650. BUT it's not a GS!

I like the 'go with the heart' advice. You're right. But the GS I'm interested in is from an independent dealer (not BM) and I only get 90 days warranty so can't get the 2 year BM warranty. It has got 'ESA' on the left handlebar - was the switchgear a bit more reliable on the 2012s than I've read about on the later models?

Re riding two up - occasionally, but mostly me with loads of kit for a long journey. After experiencing the DL650 and then comparing it to the GSs (and the 1200 Bandit), I've come to the conclusion that I do prefer "heavy" - it seems to me they are more planted. Just in passing, Packer, you seem to have a Super Tenere - what do you think of it? From research, they're kinda in between the GS and the Strom in that you can get ones for the price I'm looking at which are considerably lower mileages than the GS (but obviously not new like the Strom). I know, this is a GS forum and I don't want to annoy anyone by raising another possibility that isn't a GS! Just asking as I noticed Packer's list of bikes.

At the moment leaning a bit to the GS! Cheers and thanks.

here is a curve ball for you, how about a versys 1000, a lot of bike for the money, the mk 2 version is much improved in the looks department, and other areas to.

Here's another curve ball

Honda Crosstourer

They're largely overlooked but apart from a bit of weight when pushing it around they are an excellent bike

Stonking engine, very comfy 1 or 2 up, reliable, good handling once the standard suspension is set up and if you try the DCT it's bloody brilliant :thumb2

That's the Tracer 700. The 900 is very well put together.

it was the 900 i had a demo of, obviously a different bike altogether from a gs. nice and light, plenty of go not to many vibes. had to adjust my technique or it would run wide in the corners. definitely not a replacement for the gs but a lot easier to handle for old gits like me. now have to try a tiger 800.

The list is growing but coming from a 1200 bandit the smaller bikes suggested might seem a bit under powered or down on torque.

The GSX1250FA new fully loaded just over £8k is not one to miss having a look at

Back
Top Bottom