Harley forks

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hmmm. Springy, bouncy things, aren't they? I'm thinking thicker fork oil and progressive springs, possibly, but my mate Google tells me there are some replacement Ohlins cartridges (FKC-102). Views?

In other news, Kuryakyn heel shift eliminator is on its way and a Sundowner seat's coming tomorrow. Fitted National Cycle 7.5" V-Stream screen which has reduced buffeting.

Oh yeah. We're both loving the bike, warts and all.

Sounds like you're trying to turn it into a sports bike! :D

Seriously, I'd think carefully about spending money on this. The suspension is designed to suit the bike and riding style. :thumb2

Ha ha. That's fair comment, mate. However, I think the front end could still be plush (good word) but better controlled. But, like you say, I don't want to be spending money needlessly.

So..cheap option first...progressive springs?

Yeah, I think so. I put Hyperpro springs on a Kawasaki I had a few years ago and they made a big difference. I've read on some US sites that people have put 10w oil in instead of the 5w as standard. That might be worth it too, but one step at a time makes sense.

He`s one of those, the sort who will keep on spending on shite in the belief that he will make it better.....I love watching this shit.:clap:bounce1:clap:beerjug:

There's not enough money in the world that would make you better :D

I fiddled and faffed with the suspension on my old street bob. It made fuck all difference. Spend the money on beer instead.

Thanks Doris. I went there with my Versys earlier this year. Good guys indeed. They adjusted the standard suspension and made it feel pretty good, but said the standard shock was shite and could only be adjusted so far. He recommended a standard Wilbers shock, but at nearly £1,000 fitted I passed that by.

Apparently, he's one of those who believes you can make things better by spending money :D

Just ride the bike as the suspension allows and enjoy. If you want handling buy something half it's weight.

I fiddled and faffed with the suspension on my old street bob. It made fuck all difference. Spend the money on beer instead.

Yeah, I don't want to get silly with this. The "Premium" shocks on mine seem fine, but they're a wierd design: the preload adjuster is on one shock only; the shock on the other side looks completely different. First time I've seen that on a twin shock bike, but it seems to work.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 230
I put Progressive cartridges in my old Road King's forks. Quite impressed with them but I seem to recall they weren't cheap (what is regarding HDs?). I don't think I would have bothered though if I hadn't put a larger front wheel on which meant i needed to lower the forks.

As others say though i would just ride it accordingly, like a big lazy v-twin dictates (so long as they're not bottoming out anyway).

I put Progressive cartridges in my old Road King's forks. Quite impressed with them but I seem to recall they weren't cheap (what is regarding HDs?). I don't think I would have bothered though if I hadn't put a larger front wheel on which meant i needed to lower the forks.

As others say though i would just ride it accordingly, like a big lazy v-twin dictates (so long as they're not bottoming out anyway).

Yep, all makes sense. I'm in no rush to do anything in all honesty. I'm really enjoying the laid-back character of the bike and so is Lynn. She says she feels much more relaxed on the Street Glide...

I plugged the stupidly large holes and re-drilled to a more sensible size.....because I'm cheap......

I have progressive springs and run 10w oil in the forks on the old snotter, I also run Progessive rear shocks!

Suits me...

Sounds like a decent recipe. Thanks.

Works for Twizzle but are you 7' tall and 18 stone?:D

......but back to being serious again. I always used to put heavier oil in my forks but these days I tend to put standard weight in as I reckon it gives a smoother ride over the shitty road surfaces we have everywhere.

Works for Twizzle but are you 7' tall and 18 stone?:D

......but back to being serious again. I always used to put heavier oil in my forks but these days I tend to put standard weight in as I reckon it gives a smoother ride over the shitty road surfaces we have everywhere.

I've only altered the front set up on two bikes, the Kawasaki I mentioned earlier and my Honda Firestorm. I took the forks off the latter and sent them to the "VTR guru" Roger Ditchfield. He did all sorts to the internals, changed the oil and air gap and sent them back. The result was the most "planted" front end I've ever experienced whilst still maintaining a plush feel.

The Harley is fine for smooth surfaces, but a bit crashy and bouncy on poorer ones. The front end likes to track road imperfections and can be influenced by white lines. That might be due to the Dunlop tyres, though :rolleyes:

If I can improve things, I'd like to. If I can't, c'est la vie. I still love the bike.

Back
Top Bottom