comments on this mk 1 ?

Wasn't there two versions of the mk 1? I think this is right for the later version and the build year would be right.

Cookies the man for this job.

If you read up on the LM1 its pretty difficult to pin down to precise frame/engine numbers. There were also some variations in mk1's over their production run. The rear light and instrument binnacles on this are consistent with mk1. The rear light changed to the squared off version quite early on inproduction I think. Certainly ive seen and owned mk1's with this style. The critical sniff test in any owners club meet is the switch gear. Virtually impossible to source original and thus most mk2 conversions have this giveaway - these look original to me (they're not Lm2) as is the nose fairing with the proper 2 tone colouring. Pipeslook original too - i prefer the shape of them to the conical end on lafranconis. The alternator cover looks non standard - but then this is a bit of a weak point anyway. If memory serves me correctly i think its same alternator as an R90. Looks like its got an aftermarket seat strap (original seat) but understandable on bike of this age.

It looks pretty authentic to me.

The alternator, diode board and regulator are all interchangeable with airhead parts and still were on the later bikes - my spada 1000 is currently fitted with a 93 airhead alternator and rotor.

All true about variations in MkI's but I still think the forks aren't right? Again, it could've been s very late MkI I suppose?

Does it really matter though (unless you're a nerdy collector), it looks lovely and that's all that matters :)

Andres

It's a lot of fiddling about to get a mk2 back to mk1 spec. - tank, instruments, steering damper etc. and mk1 tanks are as common as rocking horse poo so I would be fairly confident that this one started life as a mk1 and may have had some parts changed over the past 39 years.

i'd say it's a very straight looking Mk1 Series 2 as they are unofficially known. Series 1 has the round rear light and a couple of other small differences.

many Mk2s were converted to Mk1s before parts got scarce, but the giveaway is usually flush filler tank and wider forks with air assistance and different mudguard to fit. the ridged kick plates on the footrest hanger look like Mk2 bits, but it was probably just a late build.

it's got a later vented plastic alternator cover fitted in an effort to extend the alternator life. correct ali ones are pretty rare now. i sold one years ago for nearly £100!

the fact that it's a US spec is obvious from the nasty extended headlight rim, necessary to house the US mandated sealed beam unit. indicators are missing. possibly because they probably had the huge side reflectors built in.

my knees are aching just looking at it!

Tiny little things. An Italian friend of mine who lives round the corner builds beautiful Guzzis. The Le Mans bikes fit him like a glove, His hands even fit through the frame tubes without any problems so its obvious the size of the folks they were intended for.

This was one of Joes mk2 to mark 1 conversions

PICT0558.jpg

another here showing the forks

JoesGuzzi1.jpg

the fact that it's a US spec is obvious from the nasty extended headlight rim, necessary to house the US mandated sealed beam unit. .................................

That's interesting, I hadn't realised that was a Yank only thing.

The story on my old one that Prof told me was that the original owner had ordered an original Lemans but when the order arrived at Coburn & Hughes it was one of the first MkII's....... C&H then put it 'back' to a MKI for the guy...................so, either it was one of the last ever MkI's or (more likely) the story was a load of bollox :)

Andres