Super Tenere - 012 Fault Code?

I never saw it on my S10 - don't have the S10 service manual at hand but I guess Yamaha use the same codes across the range. In the MT09 service manual, the fault code is linked to the crank position sensor - repair stages are: check connected, check for bent corroded pins, check wiring harness. If all are okay, change the sensor. If that is not the root cause, change the ECU.

Have you removed anything lately? Trapped a wire? Removed the ECU to reprogram? Bent a pin in the connector?

Thanks for that Wessie.

The diagnosis you got from the MT09 manual is the same as I found in the S10 manual.

About 2wks ago this happened only to clear itself, on this occasion it was the first start up after I tried to install new handlebars. At that time I also removed the faulty factory heated grips.

Problem is I'm starting 4 days work now so I'll not get a chance to look at it until the weekend.

ask on http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum - I did a search but little comes up. One chap had the fault and went on to say his dealer had to change 5 sensors. Sounds a bit hit & miss to me - changed 4 which were not actually faulty until hitting upon the right one - or more likely, there was a loose connection somewhere that was sorted whilst faffing about.

If you were messing with the handlebars then it is probably wiring related. You may have pinched a wire when replacing fasteners, put some tension on a lead that leads to an intermittent connection or has rubbed against a metal surface leading to a low impedance to earth. The latter was a common fault on the R1150GS as BMW put to much tension in wires running over the headstock, leading to eventual insulation damage if the cable ties were very tight.

Just in case anyone else needs the info in the future...........

Even though a 012 [crankshaft position sensor], error code was displayed the problem was the terminal on the wire which goes to the starter from the starter relay was slightly loose. You can see some burning around the bolt flange.

Relay part number: 4YR819400200 [RC19-018].

Incidentally, the two 30A abs blade fuses are £7.34 each:eek:

Thanks for your help Wessie.

Burn2-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom