Tour X 4 Pinlock Won't Seal

crotchrocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As the weather is setting in, I've bought a pinlock for my Tour X 4 helmet i acquired in Summer. I cant get the pinlock to seal. Ive taken it off and reinstalled it a few times, adjusting it as much as possible on the pins. If i try and make it any tighter the pinlock actually touches the visor in places which is no good, so i adjust it back to the point where it doesn't do that, but its fogging up. Quite frustrating :blast\

Anyone had issues with an Aria TX4 pinlock? Any resolutions or advice? The visor has quite a tight radius where its 'leaking'

The TourX 4 seems to have a less effective peak than my Tour X 2. I think I am going to have to elongate the upper screw holes to be able to tip it down.

The TourX 4 seems to have a less effective peak than my Tour X 2. I think I am going to have to elongate the upper screw holes to be able to tip it down.

There should be a little piece of plastic on the bottom screw slot in the peak, you can cut it out with a stanley knife and the peak then comes down lower.

Er great info but not what the OP is looking for re" Pinlock" advice!

I think the issue with the TX series is that the visor is large (as is the inset) and has quite a tight radius in places - and thus is a real bear to seal sometimes.

My TX 3 insert is often the same, so I dont bother with it now just ride with the visor cracked open a couple of mm or so, which helps. If you persevere you can sometimes get it to work after a fashion, in which case never ever touch it again....

I'm done with Pinlock, I find them ineffective

Just like the Smiths rear screen equivalent in the back of my Mum's Austin 1100 in the 1970's - they're not a longterm solution to misting

Just wear a mask or crack the visor open a tad

I think i may have bought a copy off eBay? It was fogging up inside and let water in last week, couldnt see a bloody thing. I went and got a proper one today from J&S (£29 ouch). Its got a much softer seal around the edge and the top takes the vents into account. The previous pinlock was catching the vents on the helmet and unseating the seal every time. Anyway, will see how this one goes, but all looks good, i can see its sealed all around.

PS. these are the same size, just the top one has taken the shape of the visor and the bottom one is flat.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 16.50.58.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 16.50.58.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 464
In your photo the pinlock insert looks very much like the one for my Arai rebel wheras the bottom pic is exactly like the Tour X version I had !

You may not have bought a fake pinlock but a misdiscribed on for the helmet !

They are reasonably good at what they are supposed to do but never help as its my specs that mist all the time !

Oh and in fog the pinlock was useless

The other thing I find with Pinlock is that becasue it is essentially double glazing, interior reflections are increased - so basically you end up looking at a ghosted reflection of yourself looking out of the visor all the time, IYSWIM. Riding in the low sun this morning it was driving me mad, looking at my ugly fizzog, most distracting

Did away with the pin lock in my Tour x no matter how you adjust it the visor changes with temperature might seal today but not tomorrow, found it better to just crack the visor open just a touch without the pin lock much better even in the colder weather.

Pinlocks on my Shoeis, XR1000 and GT Air have both been excellent.

On my Scorpion, now binned, it worked sometimes, especially when it was warmer and not needed and leaked sometimes, usually when it was raining :nenau

Yeah the pinlock on my Shark is fine. Think its just the tight radius. This new one is much better although not 100% but i cant do without it. The GSA screen just doesn't allow enough air in to demist the visor without a pinlock on.

Vi have a tourx4 with the top pin lock, works perfectly, as does the one in my AGV K5. They take a bit of fiddling to get right.

Pinlock pins are tiny cams to adjust the fit. Also dont fit the pinlock in a warm room or the trapped air will drop its moisture when you go outside and it cools resulting in water between the visor and pinlock I fit mine in the garage

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Vi have a tourx4 with the top pin lock, works perfectly, as does the one in my AGV K5. They take a bit of fiddling to get right.

Do you not have brow vents in your visor though? I used the top one and it hits the brow vent duct in the helmet.

That top Pinlock in the photo looks like the one on my Tour-X 3 and the bottom one for the vented visor on a Tour-X 4

I had the same problem with the pinlock touching the inside of the visor and where they touched it created polychromatic coloured rings. Also it was impossible to seal and on the BMW Off Road Skills course the gap between the pinlock and visor filled up with water.

The helmet was sent back to the Arai importer and it came back with a new pinlock fitted. They also sent a posh shoulder helmet carry bag, a woolly hat, a muff and various goodies as compensation.

I gave up with the pinlock because it was still touching the inside of the visor creating polychromatic rings. Now I use a spray on anti mist solution on the inside of the visor to stop it misting up.

In my opinion the curve of the front of the visor is too sharp and it is inevitable that the pinlock and visor will touch especially when the pinlock cam pins are set tight enough for the pinlock seal to be airtight. I would not buy a Tour X4 again.

Do you not have brow vents in your visor though? I used the top one and it hits the brow vent duct in the helmet.

I do have brow vents. Mine was an early genuine pin lock. I guess they changed the design because some people were having the same issues as you, but mine works fine.

Bought a new tourx4 at the bike show and I have had an issue fitting the newer pin lock. The solution is to file down the cut out lugs a little. Fits lovely once yo do this. No fogging issues yesterday in very cold conditions although condensation was building up at the bottom of the visor on top of the pin lock so I did have to crack the visor a little to stop this, but the visor itself was totally clear.

Back
Top Bottom