Deutsche Alleenstrasse

Having had a trawl through, I haven't managed to find one .gpx file of the whole Deutsche Alleenstrasse route.

As I like a challenge.........

I have finished creating the routes in BaseCamp but not yet checked them fully; that will have to wait for another day. I did though try my best to correct any obvious glitches I found.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xiw8sywu...ked but near enough 22 October 2016).GPX?dl=0

Here are some notes to help anyone who might want to use the routes:

1. Created in BaseCamp * on a Mac. Map set used City Navigator NTU 2017.2 Mode: Motorcycle. All preferences (other than avoid U-Turns) turned off. Fastest time, selected.

2. In the main, the routes were created by simply selecting a start point A and an end point B, then allowing BaseCamp to create a simple fastest time route between the two points. I then dragged the route around to match the ADAC / Allleenstrasse websites' PDF map routes as closely as I could. I have converted all the intermediate waypoints into unannounced shaping points.

3. The green route is the classic Alleenstrasse north to south, Rugen to Reichenau, some 1,250 miles A to B. This makes no allowance for the additional eastwards section to Dresden nor the westwards section to Dortmund / Dusseldorf, which I have included within the 10 additional route versions.

4. The next 10 routes break down into the same 10 sections ('Abschnitt') as the website PDF maps. Three of the routes offer small alternatives, which i have included too. Similarly, I have included the two link roads, Koblenz to Bad Honnef and Hoxter back towards the Dessau / Duderstadt route. The route colours are:

(i) The separate Abschnitt routes in magenta

(ii) The alternative routes in red

(iii) The two link roads in black

5. Whilst I am not sure if each of the 10 'sections' are meant to stand individually, I guess it's quite possible that they do. Looking at them, each would certainly be rideable in a day. No one day would be under 100 miles, whilst no day would be over 300, so each would be nicely paced for a full 10 day jaunt.

6. For those with BaseCamp, I have added links to the websites and PDF maps in each of the routes' 'Get Info' section. I would certainly recommend bods print the PDF's out as the maps might well prove useful.

Will all the roads be 'Great mate'? Well, I'd only say that, it will depend on what you might expect of Germany. There's no motorways in it and some of the roads do get pretty small, though no obvious goat tracks that I could see; you could ride the lot on an R1 or a bicycle, let alone a GS. When I lapped Germany last month I rode a lot of similar roads and enjoyed it all, not least as it's different to the Alps or ripping through the Ardennes, Black Forest and Harz. Make of it what you will, I guess.

I'd be happy to hear if anyone spots any errors and of course if anyone gets out there and rides it all (or parts) sometime. I haven't found any other full .gpx versions of the route anywhere on the www. so maybe this really is as good as it gets?

Richard

* If only to prove that it's definitely not impossible to do.

Looks good Richard, i see you left the Northern most bit as one route, and i take it you followed the town directions for the bit near the Czech border, that was the bit i struggled with.
All in all a really good piece of work.

Thanks.

Yup, the northern bit I left as one.

For the route south and west of Dresden, I did OK just looking at the PDF maps (Abschnitt 4) and tracing my finger along the green line. As far as I can see the route stays inside Germany all the way, running parallel to the Czech border but not crossing it, along a line: Dohna > Plauen

Back
Top Bottom