640 adv,time for some tlc

Made some progress after work this week:blast
Fitted the forks ,wheel and crankcases plus a few other bits.
Decided against rebuilding forks and shock till I understand the bike better(rear shock was recently rebuilt anyway).

Get them fork legs returned back to a more manly height - Wimp:augie

Every nut and bolt replaced(where specific fixings are not needed)with caphead stainless,plus nyloc nuts.
All frame fixings loctited.
Should be able to dismantle most of the bike with two Allen keys.
Hopefully the thing won't shake itself to bits( if the reputation is true)

How on earth did I miss this little treasure of a thread???

Looking really well fella! :thumb

Most of the parts prices are reasonable,then they throw a a whammy at you £70 odd squid for a timing chain:blast
Valves are £40 each so it'll have a set,a dropped valve is gonna spoil your day for sure( 60 k miles,I wonder how many times the dual valve springs have slammed them shut)
No wonder the cam follower rollers fail:comfort

Are you putting a fresh piston in or happy with the old one, only asking as I'd been considering replacing mine this winter along with cam followers (again) etc?

Are you putting a fresh piston in or happy with the old one, only asking as I'd been considering replacing mine this winter along with cam followers (again) etc?

The old piston shows no wear,all of the ring lands are fine,the bore has no wear,so I've given it a light hone to bed in new rings..
All good:D
Awaiting the last big batch of parts,clutch,cam bearings,followers etc
It's had a new coolant pump at some point so I'll probably give that the once over too.
I can turn my attention to the swinging arm bearings and linkage after that.
Then get the new carb fitted:green gri
Are the standard lights reasonable?
Was considering fitting some led bulbs to upgrade

Back
Top Bottom