Switch warranty

Daren_28

Reaction score
Hi, looking for some information on replacement parts please.

10 months ago I had the right hand switch set changed whilst the bike was within its initial 2 year warranty period.

This set has failed again.

I do have the extended warranty but kinda think it should be changed under the consumer act / sales of goods act?!?

Obviously I didn't pay for the last set, covered under warranty, but you'd expect them to last longer than 10 months. Well from another manufacturer you would... The bikes covered less than 4k since this switch set was replaced.

This is the 4th set that's needed replacement! 3 right, 1 left. It's a k1600, 2014.

Last edited:
I think BMW will honour the 2 year warranty on that part. I looked this up recently and found a bmw website stating the 2 year on genuine parts. Depending on your dealer but I would also expect it to be covered. Why not call a dealer and make an enquiry without prejudicing your chances first off, before approaching your own dealer if they are sticky...

BMW changed the indicator switch on my K1300s outside of the guarantee period. Their switches are shit and they've been using them since 2009. I've had several changed on numerous bikes and it amazes me that they don't recognise the problem and update them.

Thanks for the replies. Kinda reinforced what I thought. Going to give them a call tomorrow when the service manager is in. Thanks again

I had both switch set changed FOC late last year on a July 2012 RT. Its a known problem.

I believe that the switch should have a warranty of its own. That was the impression I got when one of mine was replaced, so it might be worth asking your dealer.

Officially, the switch you had fitted under the manufacturers warranty will only come with the remaining warranty for the vehicle to which it is fitted. So if they fitted a switch at month 18 it would only have a 6 month warranty. This is because you didn't pay for it therefore the warranty remains with BMW. Had you paid for it the part it would have had a 2 year warranty

As you now have an extended warranty (officially) the warranty company should pay for it, but if I were you and my extended warranty had an excess? I would expect BMW to either pay that excess or fit a new switch FOC

Either way you shouldn't be out of pocket

When you have new parts fitted toward the end of the warranty period, insist on paying a nominal amount the item, maybe 5% or the cost or minimum £5.

This enables you to claim at any time during the warrantied life of the part.

I have just bought a new LHS switch on EBay from the US.
The hazards and left indicator stopped working and I have investigated that this is a common fault with the combination switch - especially in hot weather.
However, the bike is touching 30,000 miles and I suppose the switch was due to play up?
The next issue will be how to remove the faulty switch from the handlebar? I have already found out that it is not as straightforward as it should be.
I have not involved the dealer (bought the bike 18 months ago)- maybe I should do?
Anyone know how to remove the switch gear?

Just replaced the LHS switchgear on my K1300s with the EBay sourced 2nd hand one from the USA. IT WORKS! Now my RH indcator works and the Hazzards as well as all the other functions.
I found a hidden screw under the heated grip. Once the grip was slightly peeled back the screw was visible. I removed the screw and the bar-end weight and the assembly slid off with just some minor fiddling about with the switch connectors (3 in all). I did look carefully at the replacement unit to get an idea of where everything went. Much easier than trying to work out how to disassemble it by using logic. Also it is very easy to crack plastics with a heavy hand.
I know this may sound a bit overkill, but compared to fixing or replacing Japanese switchgear it was way more complicated.
But I am happy with the result. Should last for a few years?

Officially, the switch you had fitted under the manufacturers warranty will only come with the remaining warranty for the vehicle to which it is fitted. So if they fitted a switch at month 18 it would only have a 6 month warranty. This is because you didn't pay for it therefore the warranty remains with BMW. Had you paid for it the part it would have had a 2 year warranty

As you now have an extended warranty (officially) the warranty company should pay for it, but if I were you and my extended warranty had an excess? I would expect BMW to either pay that excess or fit a new switch FOC

Either way you shouldn't be out of pocket

I'm about to get my RH switch replaced (2009 K1300GT) - Dealer said no automatic replacement, they might get goodwill if they claim but since I have Extended Warranty (with £100 excess) BMW will not contribute! Not happy. Same when the rear wheel bearing failed at 10K miles.

Whatever, my bike's still got better top-gear roll-on than a K1600 :D

Back
Top Bottom