F800GS - 3rd -> 2nd false shift

cityadvrider

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 65 F800GS, just got it back from its 1 year service.

I have a problem where going from 3rd gear into 2nd one of three things can happen:
- The shifter is stiff and I have to let off before trying to press back down again
- I shift the lever down but it stays in 3rd (i.e. a false shift)
- I actually go into 2nd gear

The problem seems to be when the bike is cold and after a few shifts up and down the box it seems to be ok, but I have to make sure in my mind to give very deliberate shifts rather than just doing it as I would in any other gear.

Has anyone had experience of this before or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

I have a 65 F800GS, just got it back from its 1 year service.

I have a problem where going from 3rd gear into 2nd one of three things can happen:
- The shifter is stiff and I have to let off before trying to press back down again
- I shift the lever down but it stays in 3rd (i.e. a false shift)
- I actually go into 2nd gear

The problem seems to be when the bike is cold and after a few shifts up and down the box it seems to be ok, but I have to make sure in my mind to give very deliberate shifts rather than just doing it as I would in any other gear.

Has anyone had experience of this before or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Whilst I am relatively new to the breed & haven't experienced the issue you describe....yet, this just sounds like cold lube to me.

However, from experiences elsewhere, I do have a couple of thoughts. Firstly, is the gear lever returning to the rest position promptly, in readiness for the next change, or are you maybe trying to rush the downwards change. If you do, then the mechanism may not pick up on the selector drum properly, so nothing much happens. The usual time for this is when we are forced to a sudden stop, by prevailing conditions (usually some myopic with their mind elsewhere) ; then, finding we are in say 5th, we cog down rapidly to 2nd, only to find the gearbox baulks a change - usually it's just us rushing the changes, not allowing the gear lever to to return to the rest position before the next gear is called for.

Secondly, it is always possible that the spring that returns the gear lever to the rest position is weak for some reason - we have no linkages to play us up with these bikes. Whilst unlikely, this would be a more involved issue. I assume the shaft seal is clean/intact with the shaft moving freely with a tiny amount of play.

Finally, my bike was delivered with the gear lever very slightly loose. It was not clamped tight & was moving/wearing the splines. Luckily I noticed a strange feel as I went from a series of upward changes, to going down the box. Simply tightening the clamp bolt had no effect - I had to remove the lever & close up the split section in a vice to get a snug fit on the splines & then insert/tighten the clamp bolt. Clearly, if left, the splines would have worn away &, ultimately failed.

I hope this helps - just my 2 p worth......................... KEN

Has it only started since you got it back from service?

BMW moved to a 15/50 oil for these bikes, away from the 10/40 ... the thicker oil could cause this?

125,000 miles now not a hint of a problem :thumb

That was for the info of Robin (Quinten on here) :D

:beerjug:

My Micky thanks for your response, no the problem was there before the service (that wasn't very clear). You're right though they did put 15/50 oil in this time.

Someone else has suggested to me that 3rd may be on a different shaft to 1st and 2nd, so if it is due to cold thick oil then I would notice it on this shift but not on 2nd to 1st which sounded reasonable to me. And I wouldn't see it on 4th to 3rd or 5th to 4th as I don't get to these gears in the early parts of my commute.

My bike has only done 16,000 miles so barely run in Micky! I have no problem with gear shift and i have 10/40W oil.

Back
Top Bottom