Opinions please...K1200S

Bryn

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Been looking at a 2005 K12S , 32000 miles, described as mint, panniers included, all BMW service stamps at a smidge over £3k

As I keep jumping in (100 + bikes later :rolleyes:) I'm procrastinating :confused:

Opinions welcome...It looks like it has ABS....that'd probably be servo powered ?

:thumb2

Have you ridden one ? Apparently they are very very smooth and quite fast !! Over the years I've been so close to buying one but fate took its course .

A good-looking bike and they go like stink but don't do it, especially as a private buy, notwithstanding service history or description as mint, unless you're looking for a money pit or project. ABS would be the least of your worries. The K1300S is a much improved bike and you should be looking for one of those imho. There are plenty out there for reasonable money.

K1200R or S is a good bike just make sure that the Timing chain guide recall has been done!!!!!!

Oh and it has the std three paddles for indicators rather than the K1300 single switch that breaks frequently!

I loved mine, just before the gearbox failure (hence part ex to GS) still look at them but unless price is right, I dread it happening again. The K1300s is out of my price range. Good luck in your search.

Thanks chaps....on reflection I think I'll hold off for a while and if I still lust after one in a few months I'll look for a K13S if the price is right :beerjug:

Why can't BMW get it right in terms of reliability . Honda and Yamaha get it right . My BMW car is very reliable and the S1000rr s have been greAt but some models are total lemons for such a prestigious name in motor Trans port

Very true. And make it right when they know there is a problem. I think it would instigate a bigger trust in the brand.

Been looking at a 2005 K12S , 32000 miles, described as mint, panniers included, all BMW service stamps at a smidge over £3k

As I keep jumping in (100 + bikes later :rolleyes:) I'm procrastinating :confused:

Opinions welcome...It looks like it has ABS....that'd probably be servo powered ?

:thumb2

Had a K1200S first bike I ever bought new. . . t'was a fantastic bike AFAIR nowt went wrong with it and it was ballistically fast and comfortable -what's not to like?

Had a K1200S first bike I ever bought new. . . t'was a fantastic bike AFAIR nowt went wrong with it and it was ballistically fast and comfortable -what's not to like?

That's good to hear , as generally I think they make a fantastic motorcycle to ride , flattering the rider in every way .

Well, the particular bike I was drooling over has disappeared from the listings, so has most likely been sold,,,, will carry on looking :thumb

I rode one for a day around the French countryside, swapping bikes with a friend of mine who rode my Blackbird.

If I remember correctly, I finished the day thinking there was something odd about the gear ratios; almost as if the spacing was 'wrong' somehow. Anyway, I never bought one.

I have the K 1200 R Sport for a few years now and absolutely love it. Very comfortable, fast as you would ever want and very good on fuel (48 upwards). It had a squeaky clutch when I bought it and had that replaced under warranty. I have upgraded the non ESA shocks to Ohlins and these take it to another level. It still looks sexy as do the S models. Big fun, they sound amazing when the revs pick up, very stable and planted. I don't know what I would replace it with, so it's a keeper. I wanted something a bit loony before I get too old (59 next week) and I think if you are considering one you will probably regret not doing it. Buy from a dealer though for peace of mind even if it costs a bit more. Plenty of good bikes about.

Hi Bryn,

I thought you were going with an RS, with some special paint, after the S10?

Anyway, I came across a nice K12, at Daventry, that I almost bought recently. Ticked all the boxes, but I went with an F650GS SE in the final event.

Have a look at .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K-1200-/191787722085?hash=item2ca7706565:g:Y6EAAOSwGotWn7VR

Given the time of year, they may yield a little. Sadly I don't know the new sales people at Bikers World these days, since good old Bob Sollaway (Of RC30 fame) retired.

Cheers ........................... KEN

I rode this model on a regular basis at work.
Big, heavy, fast in a straight line, wallowing in the bends
slight awkward ring position for me at 6'02 "
But
if your off on a continental tour, pretty good tourer.
Find the old hondavfr800 much more relaxing
but we're all different

:rolleyes:

Hi Bryn,

I thought you were going with an RS, with some special paint, after the S10?

Anyway, I came across a nice K12, at Daventry, that I almost bought recently. Ticked all the boxes, but I went with an F650GS SE in the final event.

Have a look at .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K-1200-/191787722085?hash=item2ca7706565:g:Y6EAAOSwGotWn7VR

Given the time of year, they may yield a little. Sadly I don't know the new sales people at Bikers World these days, since good old Bob Sollaway (Of RC30 fame) retired.

Cheers ........................... KEN

Thanks for that...yes...bought an R1100S....found it wasn't for me so it now has a new owner....I've ridden a K12 S a few years ago and liked it....got to take my time finding the right bike for a change. :rob

Back
Top Bottom