mapOmeter : A worthy route creator ?.....

Deleted Account 180923001

Reaction score
.....I think so.

http://gb.mapometer.com/

Originally designed for walkers / runners etc but has the fundamental ability to 'pick'n click' a route, save as .gpx
and upload into the Satnav, albeit, via Basecamp in my case.

You don't need an account to see how easy it is to pick'n click but will if you decide you like its method and you
want to save the file / gpx upload.

The only anomaly I've come across is.....I needed to up export the saved file as 'tracks' Vs 'routes'. Couldn't get
my Nav V to accept the 'route' file.

Here's a step by step should you want to take a look ..... hoping someone can improve on this (ie. nice if I could go straight into the Nav V / Satnav, without having to Garmin / Basecamp upload it.

1. Pick 'n Click
2. Save the file
3. To upload the file as a .gpx, chose the 'view' icon (not edit)
4. Upload as 'tracks' in 1.1 format
5. Import the file to Basecame / Garmin software
6. Convert the file from a 'tracks' to a 'route'
7. Upload to the satnav

To me, the simplicity of the pick'n click / undo makes it, at the moment, my preferred map planner.
Editing the route at some point later is also a simple task. Going back into mapOmeter, find the saved file,
select 'edit' and slide the A and B icons to the area that needs to be changed.

I've just had a quick play and can't figure out a convenient way to edit a route. It seems to create a track file by default, with '00s of points, and editing the route (using the Edit panel) just seems to alter the route between adjacent track points, which isn't at all convenient. Is there a better way?

You do know that you can "Pick an Click" as you call it in both Mapsource and Basecamp? Yes this one does produce a route on the screen slightly quicker than the Garmin systems but then you have to faff around getting it ready to download to a device so it actually takes a lot longer. Then this system uses different maps to those on your device, never a good plan!

There now seems to be countless systems available, I guess they suit some folk but when the Garmin software does what it says on the tin I can't personally see the point. Having said that if Basecamp was the only option I might look elsewhere, not because Basecamp does not work but because it requires just too much effort to understand it and get results. I still, and will continue to, use Mapsource, I can create route in seconds and be out riding it whilst those using systems like the one mentioned by the OP will be still trying to get a working route onto a SatNav. And it works anywhere. When I am touring I carry a small notebook computer. I can if needs be plot a route at the roadside as I don't need an internet connection.

John

I have to agree with John, and his reasons, having played about with many other route planners, none are as good as Mapsource (for me).

+1 for Mapsource. Intuitive flexible and quick.

I've just had a quick play and can't figure out a convenient way to edit a route. It seems to create a track file by default, with '00s of points, and editing the route (using the Edit panel) just seems to alter the route between adjacent track points, which isn't at all convenient. Is there a better way?

Unfortunately, there's 2 edit buttons to click : Here's the first one :

View attachment 324056

That takes you back to the map and the route you initially created. Here's an example before the edit :

View attachment 324058

...and on the same screen, in the pan on the left hand side, you'll find the 'Edit Route' button :

View attachment 324059

The route in the first image was red....it's now changed black and has given you 2 icons....an A and B icon which will slide to the area you want to edit : (The B icon is right behind the A)

View attachment 324060

You can see here how I've slid the A and B icons over an area I'd like to edit :

View attachment 324061

Same operation on Mapsource

Select route so that it is highlighted or use Pointer tool to highlight route (1 left click)
Once route is highlighted Left click again (single click don't hold the button down) Move the mouse to drag a thin elastic line, drop onto desired road.

That's it

This method creates unannounced via point automatically, they appear on the screen as small black dots. If they appear as a green dot Mapsource has created a waypoint instead. This will be because you have placed your point off the actual road, zoom in and check.

John

Same operation on Mapsource

Select route so that it is highlighted or use Pointer tool to highlight route (1 left click)
Once route is highlighted Left click again (single click don't hold the button down) Move the mouse to drag a thin elastic line, drop onto desired road.

That's it

This method creates unannounced via point automatically, they appear on the screen as small black dots. If they appear as a green dot Mapsource has created a waypoint instead. This will be because you have placed your point off the actual road, zoom in and check.

John

Mate...you make it sound like a competition.........'Mine's bigger than yours'....I couldn't give a toss about Mapsource. The thread is clearly titled '.....and other non-Garmin software'.

Mate...you make it sound like a competition.........'Mine's bigger than yours'....I couldn't give a toss about Mapsource. The thread is clearly titled '.....and other non-Garmin software'.

Comparisons not allowed?
I must have missed that bit.

Not at all,even if mine is clearly better than yours! obviously you are happy with this system , that of course is fine. But you posted on here saying how great it was. If it is that good then it should stand comparison with Mapsource. Is not the reason that you and others use no Garmin software that you think its better? As far as I can see you are promoting a system that still needs Garmin software to allow you to load a route onto your device. Carry on but you can hardly be surprised if I,and others ,point out the rather obvious drawbacks.

Have you every though that if you could bring yourself to care a toss for Mapsource you might find it works better than you expected?

John

Not at all,even if mine is clearly better than yours! obviously you are happy with this system , that of course is fine. But you posted on here saying how great it was. If it is that good then it should stand comparison with Mapsource. Is not the reason that you and others use no Garmin software that you think its better? As far as I can see you are promoting a system that still needs Garmin software to allow you to load a route onto your device. Carry on but you can hardly be surprised if I,and others ,point out the rather obvious drawbacks.

Have you every though that if you could bring yourself to care a toss for Mapsource you might find it works better than you expected?

John
:soapbox: :thumb

Back
Top Bottom