Buying a used RT? what to look out for?

re: clutch

£60 for parts maybe

but judging by that picture the labour is going to be significantly more, as the engine has to be split open!

You stated that you are looking for an RT, and this thread has morphed into a discussion on the versions of R1200 RT.

You should seriously consider an R1150 RT, which would fit your budget.
I mistakenly sold an immaculate 2004 R1150 RT a few years ago, and still regret it.

Simpler to own, adequate mpg and performance, and you can whip out the Servo ABS in an afternoon if needed.

Go back to a pre-2001 bike and you have the ABS-2 system, which is very robust.

Be aware that post 2007 bikes have a major issue with the iABS 2 pump, which causes the ABS to deactivate.

The bike is rideable, but you lose the linked brake and ABS functions.

This is becoming more common across all R and K bikes which use the same cheapo €30 motor unit on the ABS pump, and BMW Europe are resisting calls to issue a recall on 2007-2009 bikes.

You stated that you are looking for an RT, and this thread has morphed into a discussion on the versions of R1200 RT.

You should seriously consider an R1150 RT, which would fit your budget.
I mistakenly sold an immaculate 2004 R1150 RT a few years ago, and still regret it.

Simpler to own, adequate mpg and performance, and you can whip out the Servo ABS in an afternoon if needed.

Go back to a pre-2001 bike and you have the ABS-2 system, which is very robust.

Be aware that post 2007 bikes have a major issue with the iABS 2 pump, which causes the ABS to deactivate.

The bike is rideable, but you lose the linked brake and ABS functions.

This is becoming more common across all R and K bikes which use the same cheapo €30 motor unit on the ABS pump, and BMW Europe are resisting calls to issue a recall on 2007-2009 bikes.

Yes an 1150 RT crossed my mind, it's fugly tho ;)

The trouble is it then gets back to the RT/GS decision ..

Nothing is bloody easy lol

reading you post if ive understood it, and ABS unit from 2001 is a potential failure but 2001- 2007 are at risk and the
2007 on units are at risk too ??

So the 1150 RT/GS potentially seems to be a better bet all round??

Mart

go for a 2007-8 RT, that's your best bet

I looked at one last night....2007 RT just over 20k+ on the clock.

in 2013 it had an abs module failure! 11k on the clock, cost to replace ....£1300. The module alone was £850

wow thats a big hit to take on a then SH bike.

does that mean however its now sorted ??

Does this problem afflict the 1150RT?

I dont want to use all of my budget on a bike only to find it needs 1K+ of work potentially at some stage in the future

mart

in 2013 it had an abs module failure! 11k on the clock, cost to replace ....£1300. The module alone was £850

I dont want to use all of my budget on a bike only to find it needs 1K+ of work potentially at some stage in the future

mart

Better still look for one with a fucked servo. Negsatate a humgungus discount and get the servo removed. Well docoumented on here. JJH

>I dont want to use all of my budget on a bike only to find it needs 1K+ of work potentially at some stage in the future

I think maybe a Japanese bike would be more suited to your budget, BMWs are 15-20% more expensive than an equivalent Japanese bike and large BMWs can hit you with large repair bills (clutch, final drive, ABS etc)

Maybe look at a Vstrom 1000, Varadero 1000, Tiger 955i, Tenere XT1200, Tiger 1050 etc or a Tiger 800 (great reviews and now can be got for £4,000)

I had a Tiger 955i and they are great bikes and can offer real value. You can pick them up for £2-£3,000 now. Plenty on ebay.

mart

ABS modulators can be refurbished (fixed) for £350 and come with a three year warranty - that's how mine was sorted

ABS modulators can be refurbished (fixed) for £350 and come with a three year warranty - that's how mine was sorted

Where and who, if that's the case, then I may have a punt on an earlier bike,

Mart

I think maybe a Japanese bike would be more suited to your budget, BMWs are 15-20% more expensive than an equivalent Japanese bike and large BMWs can hit you with large repair bills (clutch, final drive, ABS etc)

Maybe look at a Vstrom 1000, Varadero 1000, Tiger 955i, Tenere XT1200, Tiger 1050 etc or a Tiger 800 (great reviews and now can be got for £4,000)

I had a Tiger 955i and they are great bikes and can offer real value. You can pick them up for £2-£3,000 now. Plenty on ebay.

Ive had jap bikes since i started riding, fed up with chains and sprockets wearing out etc,

I want to have somthing different,

I have a boxer engined car, and fancy a boxer engined bike, plus quite a few people at work have them, and they say there easy to work on etc

Mind you thats from the guy with the 1150gs, the one with the R1200, has had nothing but problems

to date he's had

new engine, new exhaust, new suspension unit rear,

and his is one of the new LC models

mart

I would highly recommend an ex police bike, mine is a 2007 bought 3 and half years ago and was bought for one up touring, since then done about 14,000 miles on it, (done 42000 miles now) been to Spain / Portugal / Germany / Austria / Italy / Scotland and Ireland, it had recall work done free of charge by BMW: Rear Flange change, fuel pump replaced, ignition immobiliser ring, its recommended to carry a spare immobiliser ring (£50), only faults i have had with the bike was 2 headlamp bulbs needed replacing and the rear speed sensor. It went to a dealer for the recall work and for brake fluid changing. 2007 - 2009 models you can do the valve adjustments easily yourself, later models need camshafts removing and shims fitting. Servicing is easy on 2007-2009 models, oil changes, oil filter change, alternator belt, plugs etc. so you would save a fortune on servicing costs if you can do it yourself. Second hand spares are also readily available at reasonable prices from ebay or motorworks who buy up bikes and break them up for spares. I certainly would buy another ex police bike, you can convert to civilian spec for about £1000 - £1500 seat / larger panniers / rack / footrests / topbox etc. Advantage of police bikes is no ESA / no Electronic Cruise Control (its a thumbscrew on twistgrip) so less to go wrong,The panniers are slim and ideal for one up touring, the crash bars are also excellent / much better than standard crash bars if you drop the bike.People rave about the GS but i have not ridden one yet, but looking on here many have more issues wrong than the RT.

Please do tell us where you got the ABS servo unit refurb'ed, and the warranty that is provided with the unit ?

Please do tell us where you got the ABS servo unit refurb'ed, and the warranty that is provided with the unit ?

Just around the corner from you - nip in and speak to Roy about the process

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 466
Roy has a supplier for the post-2007 iABS units with the partial brake linkage.

This is simply a matter of resolving the seized motor brushes.
I have done this myself previously, it is well documented on the K bike forums.

The question here was about a reputable supplier for the 2001-07 servo ABS units.

Roy has a crate full of dead servo ABS units, he offers a full replacement service only.
The risk to rider and RGM is simply not worth the risk of a dodgy repair.

It was claimed that ModuleMaster in the US could do this, but no evidence has ever been seen.

Thanks for the feedback :)

looks like its going to be a 2007 on RT..

Just got to bite the bullit & spend lol ...

Sold the Baby V, and the Id card arrived today ...

just the leap of faith ride back from where i buy it...

Typically all the ones i want are either midlands or oop North lol

Mart

I live over in Kent, I'm happy to drive you up and take the motolug trailer to bring the bike back or make sure your ride home is event free.

I live over in Kent, I'm happy to drive you up and take the motolug trailer to bring the bike back or make sure your ride home is event free.

Hi Wobble ,

thanks for the offer, just holding out for the ""right"" one

I'll certainly drop you a pm if id like a hand :)

Mart

Back
Top Bottom