New RT delays and software updates ?

I'm happy with the way I have been treated, and don't think the dealer had anything else they could do.

On a positive note, a bit like when your stuck in traffic on the motorway and don't move for hours, and clean the glove box, my garage is looking much cleaner and I have created a new work bench and even swapped into a new toolbox I bought from Mark at least six months ago, (or was it last year?)

The bike should have never left the factory with faulty software - makes you wonder what else hasn't been checked. But how long does it it take to do a software update which surely is a simple process. I suspect if someone got their finger out the whole thing could be done in under half an hour.

A better low tech solution would be just to take the bulb out - you have to wonder at what it's telling you anyway if it can be frigged in the software!

lol bulb? You really think there is a bulb behind the light?

lol bulb? You really think there is a bulb behind the light?

No, but that is surely the problem. If a lot of this unnecessary stuff was either removed or simplified then endless software updates wouldn't be needed. Software and moulded plastic plague our lives these days.

I am told the bike should be at the dealer by the end of next week, and I should get it sometime the week after.

Hope the new model lives up to its predecessor (a 2014 for me), this is the longest I have ever been without a bike.

Arrived today, but won't get to ride it until the weekend as working overtime to finish contract.

Strange to open the garage and see a white RT in there after 5 weeks!

Not the Sena the white one ,will be interesting to see one in the flesh . Saw a picture of a " martini " striped one ,that did look good

Hope it does..sadly mine doesn't..which is both a good thing and a bad thing in equal measures. The good is that it hasn't started to rot yet…and it's done 3.5k so far. The other good points are..the black is a lovely colour..especially in the sun when it proves not to be black at all but a really dark metallic blue..fabulous. The gearbox is a revelation…still not sure about assist pro though ..below 6000rpm it is all but useless compared to a manual shift and I prefer my own clutch work on down shifts into greasy roundabouts so don't use it…above 6000 it is quick and quiet and smooth….but I haven't had a proper clunk into first once yet…its just weird hahaha..!

Still on the fence about keyless ride....key sits in my jacket..very annoying on the weekends when I go to get the bike out of the garage for its hose down..have to trudge back into the house and dig it out to take the steering lock off…but then sometimes at night coming out of work its one thing less to forget once I have locked and alarmed the building…swings and roundabouts…Oh and the engine is much smoother than my 2014/16

The bads..or differences shall we say… Biggest 2 things ..no 3 things that I don't like over the 2014/16 I had…low/midrange so 3k to 6k its not there (on mine)..exhaust note…its not there…..brakes…they're not there..! Euro 4 cats are bigger than the 2014 and boy do I notice it in the 3-6k range..very flat response.. the exhaust is also so quiet you can't hear it…this is a problem for me as, whether you agree with it or not, I do a lot of filtering through traffic and people heard my 2014 coming..they don't hear this one and this is really noticeable in traffic…so i have had to adjust my riding style. I spoke to dealer about fitting the Akro silencer (but honestly I can't afford it) but he said it will make no difference to performance as all the Euro 4 strangling is with the cats not the end can…shame. Not sure whats going on with the brakes..they were all but lethal when I first got it and I am still wary about them after 3.5k.. I have a sneaky suspicion that when the dealer ACF 50'd the bike they may have got some on the discs as there was no initial bite and then there was no real stopping power when you realised that you are heading for stuff significantly faster than the last RT!!! They are getting better but would have expected them to have bedded in much quicker than this. Be really interested to see if anyone else has stopping issues as I am not sure it is the bikes fault. I did 30k miles on my last WC and the brakes were fantastic and proved that way as they chewed rear pads very 6k…but the new one has led to some bloody close calls with cars pulling out in front of me…Oh and hill assist…I said I would never need or use it and this has proved to be the case as mine hasn't worked since day one…dealer is going to sort it at 6k service.

Sorry if this sounds negative and while telling a mate all about the potential castrating of the bike due to Euro 4 and the niggles and constant problems and gripes with my RT he said.."jesus have you ever been happy with anything you have bought?"..and I thought hard about it and realised that sometimes I sound like a whining git… but then my wife recently bought a new Audi Q5 and you know what, it was the best new vehicle buying experience we have had, it does exactly what we want it to do, there is nothing..I mean nothing I would change about it…not gadgets, or build quality or engine or performance, economy, comfort it is absolutely brilliant, and frankly after the amount of years BMW has been making the RT it should be the same. It easily sits in the same price bracket in the bike world as the Q5 does in the car world (if not even higher) in my opinion…It is supposed to be a high end quality machine but when you hear all the problems people have with them I have to wonder what the hell is going on at BMW…

Just to round up..if you haven't all fallen asleep… My dealer is brilliant.. I travel over an hour and a half to get it serviced so that says a lot…they have always been fantastically helpful especially with warranty work as have BMW (another major reason for not switching brands)..the bike itself as a piece of design and practicality still has no equals in my opinion which is why I put up with the downsides, but if Honda pull a new Pan out of the hat which matches the spec my gaze may well be averted next time. Euro4 has a lot to answer for and I would love to know whether your RT feels like mine or if I just have a bit of a duffer, but mine does feel a lot different to my 14/16 bike.

Sounds like your ACF50 theory with brakes is correct. No reason why the brakes would be crap. They are the same as the 2014/16.

Sad news re the cat, though....new header time, by the sounds of it...;)

Would a hill top re map help the performance? It seems others have taken bikes there, there is a very long thread on it.

Would a hill top re map help the performance? It seems others have taken bikes there, there is a very long thread on it.

Yes transformed my bike,, see the thread on this started by me with the map printouts...

Only managed 75 miles today, but what a transformation from my 2014 model, much smoother on the gear change, loads of power and not noticed any flat spots, did t have to used the brakes in earnest, but did a couple of emergency stops on an empty road and am very happy.

Only managed 75 miles today, but what a transformation from my 2014 model, much smoother on the gear change, loads of power and not noticed any flat spots, did t have to used the brakes in earnest, but did a couple of emergency stops on an empty road and am very happy.

Glad yours is ok Wobble…My brakes are getting slowly better but they were lethal from new. I am going to look into hilltop re map..I would love to see a power/torque graph between my 2014 and 2017..think they would be very different. Your right about gear change..way smoother as is the ride at 70mph very "un-twin" like…

Do you notice even less engine braking on the '17?

Didn't notice any less engine braking, but on new tyres and damp roads and when the speedo started at 0 miles I wasn't giving it my normal amount of beans.

The engine and gearbox are much smoother !

Wobble , could I ask why colour your bike is please and the engine colour too ? I'm only asking as I have ordered a 2017 model for march 1st in black. The dealer rang on Saturday stating the new bike has now arrived at the dealership ! And if I want to collect before march first they are throwing in a service package and a few extras on the bike ! This defeats what your saying that there is delays etc ,has they got the bike quite quickly . Unless it's old stock !

To my knowledge the new models have black engines . Cheers

It's white, engine and drive are black, frame is silver.

I repainted the silver Wunderlich engine bars to black ( they were peeling anyway).

Also the delivery dates were temporary held up and are now back on track again, unless yours is a stock item?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1480332402.258575.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1480332402.258575.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 233
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1480332473.903454.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1480332473.903454.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 236
Thanks for the reply , great looker you have there .
I have got to the bottom of mine ......it is a new 2017 model , black engine etc. It was a cancelled order the same spec as to what I ordered, so they have given me the opportunity to take it now with discount and a few extras. Happy to do that, the only really difference to me is the number on the plate , come march ,I won't have the latest one , no big issue that . Cheers

Btw,,it looks to have a better lean than the 20114 model, has the stand been shortened at last ?

Btw,,it looks to have a better lean than the 20114 model, has the stand been shortened at last ?

No, I got the dealer to swap my shortened stand, the normal lean is too close to upright for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom