Is it me or is the Baglux Tank Cover rubbish?

DrAlf

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As above - what a pain. A hassle to fit and take off - it has to be removed to remove the tank which is just stupid. In addition the straps are poorly designed and located - especially the 2 x straps which run either side of the front shock, who thought that was a good idea:nenau The first of these shock straps lasted about 3 months and the other one failed last night after rubbing through on the tank seam.

Just me or have others had the same experience :nenau

Not had a single problem with mine in the last 6 years. :nenau

I've been using Baglux/Bagster on a variety of bikes for 25 years - never had a single problem. OK it may not look great, compared with a big shiney tank, but it does the job effectively IMHO.

Then again I haven't had the need to take the tank off that often either.

Are you sure the bra is fitted correctly. Are any moving elements of the front suspension at play here - maybe you are pulling the straps down just a bit too tight? If you have a sharp seam somewhere, it will cut through whatever strapping system you use - can the strap/seam be protected with padding somehow. Maybe just clear horticultural tape over the seam area would do the trick (Gaffer tape won't last). Alternatively. some flexible plastic/gel between strap & tank seam attached to the strap with zip-ties pro-tem, while you think about something more permanent.

....................... KEN

No probs with mine on the Rockster. If you're clever you can affix the vast majority of the straps so that the tank cover doesn't need to be taken off when you remove the tank (the cover hasn't been off my bike in 10 years).

Well, I'm kinda with DrAlf on this one. I switched to the Motech tank lock ring arrangement. Which I really like.

The bra never seemed to behave and acted more like a parachute half the time. But I did like the protection it offered the tank.

If the cover's acting like a parachute it's not on properly.

I did 80,000 miles on my R850GS with a Baglux tank cover, without the straps wearing through. Did over 100,000 on a CB500 with the same experience. i have one on the current bike, a R1150GSA, which I've done about 40,000 and no problems. I like the protection they give. When I sold my 850 it had done 100k of hard all weather commuting, and most bits of the bike were looking very tired. The tank still looked like new. Being able to click the bag on and off in a couple of seconds is great, and the bags are pretty durable as well.

As with any product, some people will like it, some not.

If the cover's acting like a parachute it's not on properly.

I did 80,000 miles on my R850GS with a Baglux tank cover, without the straps wearing through. Did over 100,000 on a CB500 with the same experience. i have one on the current bike, a R1150GSA, which I've done about 40,000 and no problems. I like the protection they give. When I sold my 850 it had done 100k of hard all weather commuting, and most bits of the bike were looking very tired. The tank still looked like new. Being able to click the bag on and off in a couple of seconds is great, and the bags are pretty durable as well.

As with any product, some people will like it, some not.
You're probably right about it not being fitted properly. But I'll be damned if I can see how it was meant to be tied down!

But for me it wasn't just that. I hate the material used for the bags (suits the cover purpose well). There's new materials out there. I might take a second look if they upped the aesthetics of the bags and the materials. They're overdue an improvement on that front.

As for attach/detach. I think the tank ring concept has it...

Yes, it's probably just me (and DrAlf)

I've done a simple adaption so the tank bra takes a GSLC waterproof bag, as I didn't like the Baglux offerings either.

................... KEN

I think mine is pretty poor. It came with the bike which is why i have it and it is useful. I some times wonder if i have one for another model as the fit is close but just not quite right.
If i had bought it separarly and got this i wpuld be a bit pissed

Baglux tank covers?

They look like sh1t :rob

Even moreso with a Baglux tank bag on top :blast

:beerjug:

No probs with mine on the Rockster. If you're clever you can affix the vast majority of the straps so that the tank cover doesn't need to be taken off when you remove the tank (the cover hasn't been off my bike in 10 years).
Years ago I had one on a bike and water must have got twixt tank and cover and buggered the paint up
After that I took it off every time I washed it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Years ago I had one on a bike and water must have got twixt tank and cover and buggered the paint up

Water damage to paint?

Water damage to paint?

Ditto. I've seen this write off a cbr1000f tank. The cover had been left on the bike for years on all weathers, washed etc. It paint peeled off in lumps when it was finally persuaded to come off.

I now take mine off the blackbird every few months to re-polish under it, and never, ever wash it or dowse it with a hose pipe (armour all works just fine!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got them on all my bikes and have had for years. Got one on my 850 and had one on the 1150 I sold few months back. Mine have all been fine, although I'll agree the GS straps take a bit of fitting.
If you're tearing straps you've not got them in the right place, or maybe not tight enough.

Thinking about it - I've removed the cover once (about 5-6 years ago I think). the tank was pristine. :)

Had one on all my 1150s for nearly 17 yrs, no problems whatsoever in fact the fact feels bare without one now.

Back
Top Bottom