F800gs Adventure. Poor suspension?

simoto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was given a F800GS Adventure loan bike today

Certainly in the top three ugliest bikes I have laid eyes on but I guess I knew that already.

I was more surprised by how poor the suspension is, particularly the rear shock, very choppy, not the cosseting, squidgy ride I would expect from a bike of this type.

With skinny tyres and a 21" front wheel I don't see the point in having what I guess is supposed to be sporty road orientated suspension settings or have I missed something.
And yes, I did back off the preload.
Front end was better.

As a point of reference (for me) my 25 year old Cagiva Elefant has better ride quality.

Did it have ESA?
My buddy has one, he's put 40,000kms on it from new, he loves it and has no problem keeping up (or leading) through the twistys with his 21" wheel and skinny tyre.
(just a side note, the ESA on the 800 is only on the rear shock)

Sent from a OnePlusX

My experience of the 800gsa over 2years and 60,000 km is that while the rear shock/spring unit was adequate the front was the weak link. JJH

The front forks have too much dive under braking and are not progressive and there is stiction in the first couple of inches of travel leading to a jerky action on and off the brakes. The rear shock is of equally poor quality and the upper shock bolt and support bracket have been known to bend in moderate to severe off roading.The 21 inch front wheel gives better control and rolls over bumps and rocks easier but when you get on the road it hinders changing of direction at speed difficult and it can lead to you dropping in on slow corners. The 19 inch wheel of the 650/700 is said to be better for the road. I have Ohlins progressive fork springs and heavier oil in the forks. You can also get them re-valved but i have not bothered. You may think that i do not have much good to say about these bikes but they are great but there is definately room for improvement as they are built to a budget.

How fat are you?

I have had two F800GSs and at my heaviest was 19 stones, that's right. I am losing weight, but in 20,000 miles or so I never thought the suspension was an issue.

The F800GS had issues, but suspension wasn't one of them.

Seat
Lights
Screen

all of which I addressed with aftermarket stuff.

Great bike, especially for the money, in my opinion.

Hi all I have a 2015 F800GSA. Interesting conversation. Wouldn't say it was ugly but think it's one of them Marmite looks. The point about dropping it at low speeds. Done it twice the worst at 25mph on a tight right hander. No injuries just pride. Adventure specs crash bar did there job perfectly. I put it down to fixation on the apex of the bend as was a long ride and was tired.
Agree screen needs to be another 6-8" hight and an adjustable seat is reguired. I'm 6ft 32 inside leg so at limit of being able to put both feet on the ground at rest. Other than that no issues. To me it leans to a more off road bike (65/35) so going to have it's limitations on road. So if you want a better balanced adv bike the 1200 is the one. Overall got to agree with budget parts eg hand actory guards -shite. But had to change out budget factory parts on all bikes I've had. Thinks it's done to keep the after market industry going. Or is that too deep

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Had the F800GSA for 10 months now and have always experienced a "knock" from the front suspension when going over a small sharp bump (say 1" kerb). Can't replicate it on centre stand by pressing the front end down hard. It also doesn't happen every time, so it will do it once, not again for the next 3 bumps, then after a bit of flat riding it does it on the next innocuous bump. This is all on-road riding.

So at the 6,000 mile service I asked BMW to test ride it. They responded that it was standard for the 800GSA to do this and there was no problem. I also asked them to check the snatchy ABS that releases way too late after activating. Again told it was normal.

After 10 years of riding F1200GSs it feels very cheap at the front end. Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Apparently there is a damping rubber that can be fitted in the top of the fork springs that gets rid of the annoying clunk when you apply and release the brakes. If i can find out the manufacturer i will post it on here. As for the ABS i find it not to my liking and switch it off on every ride.The fork springs are very poor quality and too soft and also not progressive enough leading to too much dive under braking.
Had the F800GSA for 10 months now and have always experienced a "knock" from the front suspension when going over a small sharp bump (say 1" kerb). Can't replicate it on centre stand by pressing the front end down hard. It also doesn't happen every time, so it will do it once, not again for the next 3 bumps, then after a bit of flat riding it does it on the next innocuous bump. This is all on-road riding.

So at the 6,000 mile service I asked BMW to test ride it. They responded that it was standard for the 800GSA to do this and there was no problem. I also asked them to check the snatchy ABS that releases way too late after activating. Again told it was normal.

After 10 years of riding F1200GSs it feels very cheap at the front end. Has anyone else experienced these issues?

While touring in Germany on my new (800 miles) F800GS I noticed a strange oscillation through the bars when I traveled on really smooth roads, It was enough to rattle my bingo wings and made my arms sore. I tried all sorts of tweaks with damping and spring adjustment + tyre pressures with no effect. I started to really dislike the bike and wondered if chipping my 1200LC in was such a good idea. On entering Belgium and rougher roads the oscillations stopped. On my return I had the front wheel re-balanced and found the weights were about 30 degrees out. The bike suspension now feels OK in all circumstances, I don't feel the need to urgently swap any of the components for the 35-60 mph speeds I ride on the back roads of Yorkshire. Now I have covered 10000 miles and its time to fit a new front tyre so Ill take extra care with the balancing.

I owned an F800GS ( personally, I cant stand the ugly GSA version of the same bike, as someone above said - marmite).

There is nothing wrong with the suspension. Its a dualsport bike, did you miss that ? Its not going to ride like a Triumph speed triple.

I moved to a 1200GS simply for the mile-munching "motorway" ability of the 1200.
In may ways I miss the playful nature of the 800. Its a very underrated bike. I get miffed when I hear people criticise them!

as for its "looks"....take a glimpse, this is a gorgeous motorbike !

Attachments

• SW - 1 (1).jpg
    SW - 1 (1).jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 563
....take a glimpse, this is a gorgeous motorbike !

Now THIS is a gorgeous motorbike :p

i-nFTppRM-L.jpg

Wilbers suspension fitted from almost new ... suspension great :thumby:

:beerjug:

Micky! Ok ... agreed!

(I can't fathom it .... but I had a lot more fun on my F800GS than my R1200GS)
I'm hoping my next purchase a KTM perhaps will combine the fun of my F800GS with the mile-munching comfort of the R1200GS.... it better do; because the BMW (R1200GS) a great all rounder - but undoubtedly lacking "something" !

Micky! Ok ... agreed!

I can't fathom it .... but I had a lot more fun on my F800GS than my R1200GS

Ha, yes, I can see what you mean! I too though don't like the lardy looks of the 800 Adventure, and in the real world it offers absolutely no advantages over the standard 'bike! Someone will undoubtedly bounce in and mention fuel range, but I've never found the standard tank to be lacking :thumb

If I was in the market for another 'bike it would be a KTM methinks :eek: (Hope Giles doesn't see that)

However, the F800GS and my 650 Xcountry (both with Wilbers suspension) will see me out methinks :rob

:beerjug:

Just got mine recently after 10 years of an 1150GS - which I love.

I am impressed with the 800 - a bit different, and I do find the front suspension a bit soft but I like it.
Have made a few mods and will possibly fit Hyperpro front springs over the Winter.

But overall I like it.

F800GS.jpg

Frosti , nice pic , enjoy !
Same power/weight ratio as the 1150 I suspect.

Frosti , nice pic , enjoy !
Same power/weight ratio as the 1150 I suspect.

Thanks Stuart.
Same power less weight.
More economical too.

Not quite the same road presence / planted feel as the 1150 in all situations, but overall I am very happy with it.

Hi Frenchy3. Revisiting this after a BMW service and being told that the knocking is normal. I haven't been able to find the damping rubber you mentioned, can you wrack your brains to remember who does it? Many thanks.

Apparently there is a damping rubber that can be fitted in the top of the fork springs that gets rid of the annoying clunk when you apply and release the brakes. If i can find out the manufacturer i will post it on here. As for the ABS i find it not to my liking and switch it off on every ride.The fork springs are very poor quality and too soft and also not progressive enough leading to too much dive under braking.

Back
Top Bottom