Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: IAM Masters

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnet View Post
    This has changed to a much more realistic expectation, whereby whether you brake or not depends upon the conditions and circumstances at the time (and on the bike you are riding), not on a fixed idea about not showing brake lights and always using acceleration sense. This is what examiners are now looking for during test. If there is any question about a situation that arises on test then the examiner will discuss it during the debrief.
    Magnet ... Masters with Distinction

Good on ya gal ... but in the eternal plan of things nothing changes, only the IAM re-inventing itself

There's no substitute for riding it like you stole it, not hurting anyone else, not inconveniencing anyone else ... and enjoying it along the way, plus staying alive while your do so

Nothing else matters

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Isn't that by Metallica ?

We all have our own comfort zone and "happy" speed. This varies with lots of external factors, weather etc; and also within ourselves.

I can and do show how to lock up your front end in the wet (sv650) and not come off. Am I a riding god ? Not really, I just practiced a lot until I was comfortable with what was happening. What about emergency braking whilst cranked over, you can explain it until the cows come home, show someone (in a controlled environment) and they get it.

The point is if you're not happy with it don't do it.

Always finish the journey with the same vehicle you started with is a good mind set to start from !

IAM teaching very much encourages braking nowadays. Brakes to slow gears to go.
    Anyone riding slower than you is an idiot, and anyone riding faster than you is a maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Smug View Post
    IAM teaching very much encourages braking nowadays. Brakes to slow gears to go.
    You will most probably find that each Observer will have their own idea about this, some are frankly very stuck to the old ideas, and do not like change. Some people that have just come into advanced riding will take their Observers riding styles as what they should do, which again is wrong. Dont get me onto positioning either!!

I know the iAM have tried to make what is taught more consistent overall but some people take what it says in the How To Be a Better Rider book far too literally( This instruction manual was described to me by an Observer as "The Bible"- what an idiot! ).

Still, there is good and bad in each large organisation, and I do think that they do good things, and their objectives are to be respected.

Brakes are for stopping,
    Gears are for Going,
    Throttle for controlling the speed!

As for "when it's OK for going "beyond" the posted speed particularly when overtaking ask yourself this would you do if it was a Police car or being followed by one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    There's no substitute for riding it like you stole it, not hurting anyone else, not inconveniencing anyone else ... and enjoying it along the way, plus staying alive while your do so ..

Through my teaching with Rapid I see a whole bunch of motorcyclists that really cover the whole spectrum. And it's very clear and obvious looking at that broad spectrum that the riders that have invested in training are way better that those that haven't. (Rapid train a lot of the RoSPA observers who get a deal). It's very unusual to come across a really talented rider who has just worked it all out by himself and never done any training. so the IAM and RoSPA riders that we see, are generally, much better.

However ()

What I also see, is a constant theme with the riding clubs, and it's what I'd call a 'paint by numbers' or a 'dot to dot' style. Its very frustrating sometimes! I want to shout at them 'now you can ride, rip the fucking rule book up and just .... ride ... ' ! Just let yer feckin' hair down will yer .. ??!!

The handful of really good riders that I see (people that I think - you'd slot straight into my team at work) seem to have moved on a stage further than advanced club level. And a lot of them have been and done the club stuff, learned their craft, thanked the club for their time, and now they sort of do their own thing. It's still disciplined, but they've broken free of the shackles of 'club riding' and they've learned how to cane a bike ... sensibly. They're safe, quick, relaxed (relaxed about club crap and 'rules') but still disciplined if that makes sense.

So I'm with Micky here. Quiet b roads, ride it like you stole it in the nationals, enjoy it, be safe and disciplined, and don't be a twat in the posted limits.

Did I mention discipline? Discipline keeps you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post

Did I mention discipline? Discipline keeps you alive.

Yes....I still have you in my head!!!

Ha ha ... you can still do go to jail speeds down the lanes, great well worked out overtakes, loft yer front off that rise in the road .... but discipline in the foundations (reading limit points, getting all that power down before the turn, seeing the council signs and logging them in the back of your brain, etc etc .... ) is really important ..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345