IAM Masters

DC

Reaction score
Saw a long thread on here re some one taking the std IAM test, well done that rider , has any one ever done the Masters ? I am thinking of taking it . done some research on the net , looks a nice std to be riding at , theres a mentor package or straight in for the test.

Any advice from previous riders test or fails welcome

You need to have passed the Advanced Rider test before taking the Masters

Wot MW said. There is a mentor package. The mentor / trainer is often a serving or former Polis with Police class one qualification and plenty of experience of putting that into practice on real roads. I was, and still am considering doing it, not for the bit of paper but for the training and insights it would offer. Suggest you approach your local IAM group and ask them.

It's interesting that the Rospa Gold Standard was always considered to be the highest civilian motorcycle qualification and then along comes the Masters which is described as "the highest level of civilian driving standard in the country"

I guess they are both the same then

Hi DC,

I can really recommend doing the Master's as I have only just got mine in September this year with a Distinction. The best route is to go the mentor route as this are usually ex Police class one riders but more and more riders that gain Distinctions are being recommended to be mentors. It depends which area you leave as there are not too many mentors available. It took me two goes to get my Masters as it is not easy at all but very satisfying as I can vouch it is the highest civilian qualification you can attain. I am saying this as someone who has done the ROSPA and attained GOLD level and currently an IAM Observer. If you like to keep improving your skills to a higher level then go for it but if you are looking for a qualification then it is not easy at all.

You have already being given the link below which is all you need to find out about it.

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/campaign-pages/end-customer-campaigns/masters

I read the IAM info at the link. The accolade about the "highest level of civilian driving standard in the country" is self assigned by the IAM. So I guess it has no more or less validity than the claim by RoSPA re their Gold award. I've been an IAM member for some time (and RoSPA Gold) and I'm aware of the background and the differences of opinion surrounding the introduction of the Masters programme. As an approach to re-invigorate and renew their Advanced rider programme it has merit. Alternatively, it is little more than a marketing ploy with a clever title and an unauthenticated claim of ultimate standards.

I'm a supporter of continuous personal/professional development and would recommend Advanced rider training to anyone, either RoSPA or IAM. For me the RoSPA award has the additional merit of its requirement to refresh every 3 years to retain the qualification. But each to his own.

Hi GreatScot,

Thanks for your comments. I totally agree with most of what you have said as you are quite right about the ROSPA as I have just retested after holding the GOLD for three years also in September. You have to do the Masters test first to understand why it is at a different level to the ROSPA Gold as I am speaking from experience. Like you I am not just a Supporter for continuous personal/professional development but advocate fully recommendation of any Advance rider training and not just ROSPA or IAM but there are private trainers out there as well.

It is great also to have these discussions as at the end of the day Safety is paramount and the more training the better for all concerned.

some good feedback lads , thanks for this . Yes I am thinking of going down the Mentor route, I have contacted my local IAM ( WAM) and they have some Police or ex police riders showing you the ropes.

Like Many Im not interested in a piece of paper to put on the shelf, just the experience of riding with some top riders , sharing their knowledge and if nothing else just getting out on my bike and riding.

Also considered the ROSPA way, both claim the same that they are the best .

I read the IAM info at the link. The accolade about the "highest level of civilian driving standard in the country" is self assigned by the IAM. So I guess it has no more or less validity than the claim by RoSPA re their Gold award. I've been an IAM member for some time (and RoSPA Gold) and I'm aware of the background and the differences of opinion surrounding the introduction of the Masters programme. As an approach to re-invigorate and renew their Advanced rider programme it has merit. Alternatively, it is little more than a marketing ploy with a clever title and an unauthenticated claim of ultimate standards.

I'm a supporter of continuous personal/professional development and would recommend Advanced rider training to anyone, either RoSPA or IAM. For me the RoSPA award has the additional merit of its requirement to refresh every 3 years to retain the qualification. But each to his own.

Well chosen words and I heartily agree :thumb

:beerjug:

On the Masters you will be scored on a series of criteria and able to achieve a pass for 70%+ and a distinction for 80%+. The same score sheet is used for an IAM test and the Masters.

Our IAM examiner is of the opinion that the requirement to attain an IAM F1RST is far higher than the requirement for a Masters pass or even a distinction. 80% is not good enough for a F1RST.

The cost for an IAM Masters test is £129 or £249 with mentoring. The test has to be retaken every 5 years and every 3 years for a mentor. The full £129 has to be paid for every test. On top of this is the annual IAM membership of £35.

The cost for the RoSPA test fee is £66 which includes membership fees. Annual membership is £28 which includes 3 yearly re-tests.

I understood that originally the Masters test would be conducted on roads unfamiliar to you, and may therefore involve travelling a fair distance from where you live. The riders in our group have all taken the test on roads familiar to them.

It appears that a major requirement not to be docked points is to ride exactly at the speed limit where possible and certainly not over. Points are docked for riding at less than the speed limit when it was safe to ride at the speed limit.

On the Masters you will be scored on a series of criteria and able to achieve a pass for 70%+ and a distinction for 80%+. The same score sheet is used for an IAM test and the Masters.

Our IAM examiner is of the opinion that the requirement to attain an IAM F1RST is far higher than the requirement for a Masters pass or even a distinction. 80% is not good enough for a F1RST.

The cost for an IAM Masters test is £129 or £249 with mentoring. The test has to be retaken every 5 years and every 3 years for a mentor. The full £129 has to be paid for every test. On top of this is the annual IAM membership of £35.

The cost for the RoSPA test fee is £66 which includes membership fees. Annual membership is £28 which includes 3 yearly re-tests.

I understood that originally the Masters test would be conducted on roads unfamiliar to you, and may therefore involve travelling a fair distance from where you live. The riders in our group have all taken the test on roads familiar to them.

It appears that a major requirement not to be docked points is to ride exactly at the speed limit where possible and certainly not over. Points are docked for riding at less than the speed limit when it was safe to ride at the speed limit.

F1RST higher standard than the Masters? - wrong! Next you'll be trying to convince us that a £25 prize from the Premium Bonds is better than a £1000

The same score sheet may be used but the standard required for a Masters is much higher

What I would agree with is the assertion that to go from no advanced training at all to a F1RST is a bigger step and harder than to progress from a 'regular' advanced pass to a Masters standard (or Rospa Gold)

Hi Smug,

I could not let it pass as the comment from your local Examiner is subjective and relying on a comment by one examiner should not be relied on as I can assure you that getting a "FIRST" which I train a lot of IAM associate to attain is nowhere near what is required for the MASTER's. Until people have done the Masters and see what is required it will be difficult to comment but all your other comments are correct as the test should be taken in an area you are not familiar as I have to go to Hertfordshire to do mine as I live in Norfolk. There is also more to Master's than just having a good ride. You will be expected to have a very good understanding of the Police Roadcraft and the Highway codes as you will be thoroughly questioned on them. As already said everyone to their own and also why they want to attain any standard.

Absolute twaddle. These days, they're giving out F1rsts left, right and centre - Like A-grade GCSEs! In our IAM group, they're so common that bods who don't get one are coming back disappointed.

A Masters with Distinction takes some getting by even the best and most experienced riders...

A Masters with Distinction takes some getting by even the best and most experienced riders...

Do you have a Master's with distinction by any chance? ;)

I do agree, it does take some doing, but I think the 80% for a distinction is too low, it should be 90% IMHO. I have a Masters, but not a distinction :rolleyes: . To take the Masters test I had to ride well over 70 miles away, well away from any familiar roads.

To the OP, please note that not all Masters Mentors are Police Class 1 (or whatever replaced it), some are just every day riders like myself who have taken the Masters test and are probably IAM National Observers.

Regarding IAM F1RSTs, your group isn't in the West country by any chance is it?
At the moment success rates in achieving this level of pass appear to vary around the country. Hopefully the IAM will be addressing the issue of achieving test standardisation in the New Year.

You do realise that a Masters pass is only valid for five years.

A mentors Masters Distnction pass is only valid for three years if they are to remain a mentor.

A retest is £129 whereas a RoSPA retest is included in the annual membership fee. Observers and mentors have to pay full price for the privilege of being retested every three or five years as well as the £35 annual IAM membership fee.

Could this be a marketing ploy? How else will IAM pay for its new headquarters in Welwyn Garden City. How else will the wages of the high ups at headquarters be paid? Of course the voluntary work of the observers and mentors must help to keep the running costs down!

Smug
In one of your 1st post you state that "our" examiner is off the opinion that the F1rst is higher than the Masters how would he know he doesn't "do" the tests for the Masters!
You also state that everyone in the group who have done there Masters done it on familiar roads if your referring to HBAM group your wrong the area / roads used have been chosen to challenge even the best
I did mine in Sussex / Kent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem I have found with the IAM observer system is they expect me to ride much faster than I want to - I have been told I MUST overtake if I can, but what if I am happy toddling along behind someone breaking trail for me on an unfamiliar road - apparently that means I am not the calibre required. CRAP - I COULD overtake if I wanted to - but I don't. It makes my fuel go further, my tyres and brakes last longer and I don't have ot lean the bike over so far. Provided I leave a healthy, safe breaking distance between me and vehicle in front, why the insistence on overtaking? The world goes fast enough as it is, why the compulsory rush?

Someone please explain the logic for me.

Back
Top Bottom