Morocco in April/May 2017 - any recommendations

Given that these crazy fuckers are running across the dunes, i'm not sure how you think it will impact you?? Didn't effect me this year - :thumb2

Thanks, it was how they might overwhelm the hotels / restaurants etc. Watched the James Cracknell video a while ago: https://youtu.be/z0Qak8e4vYA and barking mad springs to mind as the most polite term for some of them!

Tim, thank you so much for your advice, I am really glad you have popped into this thread.

I have pretty much made my mind up to go DIY as you and others have suggested as it seems easy enough. We are now planning to go in the first two weeks of May - maybe for 16 days so given the ferry to Spain and ride south that should give us 10 days in Morocco. I don't think we will want to be on the move everyday so may chose a couple of venues to stay for two days apiece as a base to explore. Hotels with a swimming pool would be good for relaxation if we fancy a day off the bike.

Tim - I would appreciate your email if I could - thanks.

That route is about 320 miles Mike.

You might want to alter the route slightly at the end as the R702 from Erfoud to Merzouga would be interesting on a big bike two up :thumb

It's now completely tarmac Paul, another off-road route spoilt. I witnessed them compete the road in May this year as we went out to the Bivouac, only to come back later and it had been covered in tar and chip. Pah!

Mike, we are planning a trip around the same time but will be trucking the bikes down to Malaga and going from there.

Cheaper overall and you get to spend more time in Morocco or Southern Spain which has to be a plus. Cheap return flight from Brum with hand luggage, get into Malaga, collect bike and away you go.

Let me know if you want some more details on this.

Is everyone going to Morocco in April?

Mike, we are planning a trip around the same time but will be trucking the bikes down to Malaga and going from there.

Cheaper overall and you get to spend more time in Morocco or Southern Spain which has to be a plus. Cheap return flight from Brum with hand luggage, get into Malaga, collect bike and away you go.

Let me know if you want some more details on this.

Sgt, I've just PM'd you ref these details, would be great to hear what the craic is with that route :thumb2

Just done the same for my son and I who are also going in April. Good saving so thanks very much for the "heads up". Now just got to decide our route in Morocco for our 8 days over there.

If you are traveling to Morocco have a look at www.trasmediterranea.ea just paid 50euro for me and bike open return next April from Algeciras to Tanger Med.
Book direct with Transmed the same crossing with www.directferries is £100

Struggled a bit with the Transmediterranea site for a while and eventually gave up! finally resorted to trusty old AFerries.com who did motorcycle and rider for (a still very reasonable) £48.17

Hi,
I would recommend Wheels of Morocco (www.wheelsofmorocco.net), they are just awesome. I did a tour with them and they offer guided and self guided tours. They are official BMW partners and their tourguide is just awesome and fun:) Plus they are based in Morocco, so they know the country, actual road conditions quite well.

I would love to go to Morocco but only have 1 week: is that feasible?
I would like to take my own bike (GSA) and preferably stay off the tarmac.
Is that overly ambitious?

I would love to go to Morocco but only have 1 week: is that feasible?
I would like to take my own bike (GSA) and preferably stay off the tarmac.
Is that overly ambitious?

Hi

I don't really think so. Taking your own bike from the UK at best means a ride to Plymouth to catch the ferry and then arriving the next day in Santander Spain. It arrives about mid day. Then you have about 690 miles across Spain for the second ferry to Morocco. At best this really means 2 days plus out and the same back London to Morocco. I would allow 10 to 12 days to allow 7 or 8 days riding in Morocco. Off road experience can be gained by riding on road as some of their roads we found were tarmac one minute and gravel the next in fact the majority of rural roads we traveled were like that or worst but what a great place. We have already booked our return trip for May of this year.

Derek

Self-guided and custom tours Morocco

Six of us (3 riders and wives) fancy a tour of Morocco in Spring 17.

Considering an organised tour where the ferries and hotels are pre-booked for us and want to use our own bikes and not hire.

There are a lot of companies offering these types of tours so I am wondering what you would recommend from personal experience.

Hi,
Check www.wheelsofmorocco.net, they are offering guided and also customised self-guided tours, so you can visit what you want to in you own pace. You can do it with their BMWs or your bike. They are based in Morocco so might know the country better than the foreigners:) Cheers

Back
Top Bottom