MapSource Routes and Nav V

SPL

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Wonder if I can ask the advice / experience of the collective on this please :bow

I have a NaV V which I bought with my new BM and a "basic" Zumo 660 which I have had for ages.
I also have a load of routes from old tours that I've refined over time and saved in MapSource to use again.

During the summer I went off to Wales and copied my GPX file directly to the Nav V's SD card and though myself pretty clever when the routes all loaded up without any bother.

But, once I got there and started to try and use my routes I found every waypoint seemed to be treated as journey's end when it came to the time and distance remaining displays on the Nav V. :blast

The NAV follows the route from point to point no problem, but it only ever showed the time remaining to the next waypoint instead of the time remaining to journey's end. The other thing that has happened is that it point blank refuses to allow me to go off piste for any reason and then rejoin the route and automatically continue (just keeps wanting to go back to a missed point).

I could not for the life of me work out why the time and distance was wrong, or find a setting that would allow me to change the behavior on the Nav.

I got so p*ssed off with it at the time that I vowed to go back to my 660 after I sell the bike (despite lots of people saying the NAV V is an improvement once you get to know how it works properly).

However, with the benefit of time and a few deep breaths I thought I should ask for help here (as I'm sure it's me being dumb :augie) and see if I can learn to get the best from my NAV so I can keep it.

Is my problem that I need to re-edit my Mapsource routes in Basecamp before they will play nicely with the NAV V?
Do I have to change the WayPoints to ShapingPoints to get them to work?
Or is there no hope for me and I should go back to maps taped to my tank :eek:

Firstly you can set your Nav V up so it will talk to Mapsource ( you may have already done this) In case you haven't go to volume screen press and hold the top right corner You will get a hidden menu coming up,scroll down to MTP Settings, select Mass Storage and that's it! So you can continue to use Mapsource or Basecamp, the device will now work with both

Are your waypoints actually places you want to visit or just to get the right route? If they are just or routing would strongly suggest you replace them with via points or you will always have problems with the device trying to get you back to one if you miss it.

One way to do his would be to open your route in Mapsource, make a copy of the route ( saves anguish if you cock it up!) Select the copy route, use the pointer tool, one click selects and highlights the route, a second click brings in the routing tool, you have a line you can drag and drop. Each time you drop on your route you create a via point (these are automatically unannounced by the device) Drag and drop to place via points along the route that will replace your waypoints. Then simply delete those waypoints that were there just for routing. When you re satisfied you can delete the original route leaving you with a route that should work correctly with your Nav V. Don't forget to use the recalculate function before you download the route. This will allow you to see if the route is as you want, if a recalculation changes it you might need more via points.

I prefer Mapsource for many reasons including he fact that it takes less time to recognise the device and transfer route ( none of the Bsecamp nonsense of waiting until it has loaded the map fom your device,pointless for those with the map on the PC)

John

A humble request.
Wapping to the red phone please!

OP, read all the posts about how a Nav V uses waypoints, how it uses shaping points, how to change a waypoint into a shaping point (and visa-versa) from within the device itself and above all.... all the miriad of threads on:

1. How to use the device when first starting off on a route

2. How shite BaseCamp is

Some of the posts and threads are more accurate than others. Make your own mind up which.

A humble request.
Wapping to the red phone please!

OP, read all the posts about how a Nav V uses waypoints, how it uses shaping points, how to change a waypoint into a shaping point (and visa-versa) from within the device itself and above all.... all the miriad of threads on:

1. How to use the device when first starting off on a route and / or when running or re-joining a route

2. How shite BaseCamp is

Some of the posts and threads are more accurate than others. Make your own mind up which.

Thanks Chaps,

John's specific response should get me quite a bit further forward (as my waypoints are only to force the route, not places I actually want to stop) and I'll then wade through the other stuff and try to cherry-pick relevant bits.

I have a feeling that I should try and get to grips with basecamp for the future, but if I can get away with MapSource for now it might be easier in the short term.

If you use a Mac, BaseCamp is as easy as falling off a log. I am no IT genius but learnt to use a Mac (something completely new to me) and learnt at least the good basics of BaseCamp all in a day.

Some bods don't like BaseCamp on a PC, others do. Some just don't (or won't) like it, irrrespsctive.

Where you'll fit on the scale, is up to you.

If I had to give one tip, it would be: Don't play with it to learn; you'll get bored and decide it's not worth it. Learn it by creating a route or routes that you'll use. That way it keeps the mind concentrated.

Thanks Wapping - good advice.

I have switched to a Mac for work (about 18 months ago) so I may give Basecamp another try.
I really struggled with it on my PC, but I've heard it's easier on a Mac...

Back
Top Bottom