specs wearers....misting solutions...

I used to use Bob Heath anti mist on my glasses, which worked brilliantly. I then changed glasses, and the Bob Heath stopped working.
Apparently it all to do with the coating the lens gets. Different products work with different coatings. Just a matter of trying different ones.

You could try warming your glasses up on a radiator before heading out, but not sure how long it would last before fogging.

That's it
Heated glasses
Surely bmw could make a power lead for
Heated specs and charge us lots of cash

Cat Crap is only thing I've found that works. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ek-123625-Cat-Crap-Anti-Fog/dp/B002ZNA488

My friendly, local optician tells me that you can get anti-mist spectacles with a hydrophobic coating on the lens but the price is eye watering. :augie

Confirmed. I have it on both my glasses (£115 each) and it's fucking useless.

Before each ride you're supposed to wash your glasses in cold water and then once dry rub them with a special cloth which is treated with more hydrophobic coating.

It's better than nothing but wasn't was £230 on two pairs of glasses.

Will buy cat crap and see if it helps. Was thinking of getting contacts for the bike in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eye surgery, either laser or lens replacement. Had my eyes done 2 years ago and, honestly, it's the best thing I've ever done. only need a pair of +1 glasses for close up reading.

Multi-focal contact lenses :thumb2 Being the wrong side of 50 I now need reading glasses, multi-focal contacts are the contact version of varifocal glasses, correct for distance and also enable me to read the gauges, nav etc.

Goggles.

I've given up and find that MX goggles do a much better job.

Plus it keeps your speed down in the wet because it stings riding in rain faster than 50 MPH.

Multi-focal contact lenses :thumb2 Being the wrong side of 50 I now need reading glasses, multi-focal contacts are the contact version of varifocal glasses, correct for distance and also enable me to read the gauges, nav etc.

How do you get on with them, were they/are they difficult to get used to?

Andres

I am back on contact lenses after a long period of specs. With the specs I found three things helped: Do everything you can to keep the specs dry, once wet they are hopeless; stopping the glasses from getting cold as much as you can, in particular keeping the visor firmly shut leaving the house/work/cafe/pub and at low speeds and when stopped; and being careful with breathing: holding my breath at times and always in through the nose and out through the mouth blowing downwards out the bottom of the helmet. I also found the shape of the specs affected steaming up, in particular smaller specs close to your face were way better than anything big and/or wide or worn well down the nose. I think the smaller closer fitting lenses stayed warmer longer.

But contacts are great. Daily disposables would be the way to go for night time only use.

How do you get on with them, were they/are they difficult to get used to?

Andres

Never had contacts prior to these so had to get used to all the normal stuff, avoiding eye infections etc but that would apply to any contact lens user. I've been using them in daily disposable format for around 3 years, they took a little getting used to initially but your brain adapts to the information it gets, no issues reading, phone, computer use etc, only requirement is that I blink enough to keep them moist particularly when staring/concentrating on things, common with all lenses. There's no way I'd go back to glasses for daily use, these are like turning the clock back 10 years!

Same as me. If you're short sighted, then as you get older, you naturally tend to get a bit long sighted, and they cancel out.

My mother in law has worn reading glasses all her adult life and has recently stopped using them as she says that she doesn't need them and longer, we didn't really believe her.

Turns out she has got the early signs of cataracts and apparently (according to the optician) this is common.

Might be worth asking the question when next at the optician.

A few people have mentioned hydrophobic products. Just to clarify, you don't want to put hydrophobic products on your glasses. Hydrophobic (water hating) products repel water, causing it to bead up. For rain, that's great because it beads up and rolls off. That's what I have on the outside of my visor. This effect makes misting worse, not better because the water droplets from the condensation bead up and become even harder to see through.

For mist/condensation, you need a hydrophylic (water loving) substance. This does the exact opposite and causes the moisture droplets on the glass to spread out into a thin film, making it invisible or at least easier to see through.

I know some people might have used the word hydrophobic when they were talking about hydrophilic products. I'm not being a smartarse, I just wanted to point out the difference in case people tried hydrophobic products, like RainX on their glasses and made the problem worse.

Just ordered mine, lets see what I make of it.

Ok, Stuff has arrived and I was immediately on to it with two sets of specks. I can confirm that it works, Glasses still get a "fogging" effect but so far does not affect the vision.

I've given up and find that MX goggles do a much better job.

Plus it keeps your speed down in the wet because it stings riding in rain faster than 50 MPH.
Loving that approach to Road safety!
Direct feedback...

sent from planet earth

Baby shampoo is very good.
Doesn't sting.
Just one drop on each side of each lens.
I learnt this trick from scuba diving...

sent from planet earth

Back
Top Bottom