aux lighting bars

martin davy said:
Why bother with a light bar at all? I fixed my 'Halfords specials' directly to the outer screws under the beak.

The first pair I fitted were linked to dip beam. I liked them so much I fitted another pair wired into high beam.

Still looks OK even with four lights under the beak and they work a treat. Far more unobtrusive than having them sticking out on stalks. Fitted where they are there is very little chance of any damage from a prang.

If I had a prang these lights would be the last of my worries!

:cool: ;)

Cool. Going to the Eynesford meet this Thursday per chance ? Would not mind a look.

Re: I'd prefer.

iaintook said:
To talk about Bikes and Girls over a bottle of my favourite Malt bought by you :idea

Someday soon I hope!

iaintook said:
Glenmorangie ( Sherry wood finish )

Much nicer then the Speyburn I'm sipping right now.

iaintook said:
P.S The lightbar is 50 euro which is nearly 50 dollar so its cheaper and therefore ill be having one of them instead.. Also this isnt a company its an individual offering his time, not his product.

If cost is what you're after, then you're on the right path Iain.

Under the Beak

I mounted my PIAS under the beak on the oil cooler boltsas well.

Malcolm, you have seen mine !

(Malky - Cool. Going to the Eynesford meet this Thursday per chance ? Would not mind a look.)

Hi Malky, yes I will (hopefully) be there. Treat me gently as I'm an Eynsford virgin!

martin davy said:

The first pair I fitted were linked to dip beam. I liked them so much I fitted another pair wired into high beam.
:cool: ;)

Hi Martin
Interested in your 4 light solution. How have you got them organised? Do the 2 linked to dip beam go out when you go to main beam, or do they all stay on?

dave ellison said:
Hi Martin
Interested in your 4 light solution. How have you got them organised? Do the 2 linked to dip beam go out when you go to main beam, or do they all stay on?

Dave,

I've got 4 lights on mine, two on dipped and two on main. All four are on on main beam

Nice and bright - ask Malky, he's probably still suffering from burnt retinas after a demo at Eynsford :D

Steve.

Steve
Is all that lighting OK on the bike's capacity? 55+55+55+55+another 2 times 55 for the standard bulbs. Errr.. that makes 330
Sounds the biz though.
How have you got it all switched?

Ive got 2 55w on my dip beam circuit,2 100w on my full beam circuit,100 w full beam bulb.They can be switched off individually.Ive never had a charging prob while using them but I try not using them all at one time unless I have to, especially with heated grips on.I tend to switch all uneccesary electrics off when about 5 miles away from my destination.

dave ellison said:
Steve
Is all that lighting OK on the bike's capacity? 55+55+55+55+another 2 times 55 for the standard bulbs. Errr.. that makes 330
Sounds the biz though.
How have you got it all switched?

Doesn't seem to be a problem so far. The lights aren't separately switched (yet!), but each pair has its own relay, and they're switched through the normal dipped/main switch wires.

THE PICT said:
...100 w full beam bulb.
Sounds good, I'm sorting out 'dipped' by adding a light bar. But.... whats the make of the 100w bulb in the main beam - both dipped & main are H1's, aren't they?

ralphy said:
Sounds good, I'm sorting out 'dipped' by adding a light bar. But.... whats the make of the 100w bulb in the main beam - both dipped & main are H1's, aren't they?

Ralphy,

you can get 100w H1's at Halfords. In my experience they are VERY short-lived when used as headlight bulbs and don't make an appreciable difference to the amount of light on the road....

MikeO:(

Ralphy,I got the 100w H1 from halfords but to be honest it doesnt make much difference.Its only still there coz I cant be arsed putting the 55w back in.The 100w spots are a different story.They came with 55w H3 which I upgraded to 100.The spots on my dip beam are still 55w.For your information,I used 17 amp wire and a 30 amp relay and used an insulated return circuit back to the battery to avoid any bad earth probs that may have affected the bike.

MikeO & The Pict

Thanks for the info.

72 responses, over 2650 viewings - and thats just on this thread - let alone all the others on 'improving the lights'!

WHY are bike lights so poor - can you imagine bmw car owners (or any other make, come to that) fiddling about under the bonnet of their brand new cars with bits of wires, relays, fuses & drilling holes to fit lights - just to be able to see where they're going???????

Why do we put up with it!!

And another thing,.....

End of rant.

Quite agree Ralphy. These bikes should never have been allowed to leave the factory with such piss poor lights.

If someone (God forbid) ever has a prang at night I'm sure they would have a very strong case against BMW. Especially if this BB was used as evidence!

REPLY FOR DAVE ELLISON

Yes all four/six! lights come on with main beam. I know bugger all about electrics so just wired them exactly as it said on the tin!

They are all put through the standard switch - so far so good. The dip beam lights are on all the time and have covered about 1000 miles without trouble.

I have noticed that these lights (Halfords Ice Blue) become 'misty' after a while. I 'backed' the first pair I had and have noticed one of the new ones doing it again. Has anyone else had this problem?

Aux lights

Yes agree with all that has been said about the lights. So this was my solution. Four aux lights two linked to dip beam and two linked to main beam. Being aware of the current drain to drive all these lights I have fitted a changeover relay. This turns the dip auxs off when you switch to main beam and the opposite when you switch back. Dead easy to wire up and gives a better peace of mind when thinking about the power drain.

Attachments

• auxlights.jpg
    auxlights.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 383
ah! Mr Gazza - this sounds like what I want.

For the electrically numb, like me, please can you explain how/what/where the changeover relay does? How did you wire it up, etc?
Would really appreciate any info'.

thanks

Late as usual

read all of these posts with a mixture of horror and awe.

Now I've got the bike, I want the lights. Terrified myself looking at the wiring diagrams and may never actually get round to fitting anything that involves me taking the GS A apart as I'll NEVER get it back together the way it was.
No matter, I'd like one og MiGsel's light bars - of course, I'v e missed the group buying discounts.......
any one else in Scotland or the NE of you know where considering getting one of these?

Re: Late as usual

Originally posted by snodog
read all of these posts with a mixture of horror and awe.

Now I've got the bike, I want the lights. Terrified myself looking at the wiring diagrams and may never actually get round to fitting anything that involves me taking the GS A apart as I'll NEVER get it back together the way it was.

I understand your concern snodog. With every light package purchase we include a Micatech installation document with clear descriptions, color diagrams and digital pictures of an installation. We identify which wire in your main wire harness to connect to and describe how to do so. We offer additional installation description to augment the one page Autoswitch document as well.

That said, if removing your gas tank is scary,then it would be best to enlist a friend or hire a shop to do the installation.

Attachments

• installtopview.jpg
    installtopview.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 296
Re: Re: Late as usual

chuckh said:

That said, if removing your gas tank is scary,then it would be best to enlist a friend or hire a shop to do the installation.

I'VE GOT TO REMOVE MY FUEL TANK ??????????????

ohhhhh sod that

Back
Top Bottom