aux lighting bars

luga00

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/LightKits/r1150gs.htm

Has anyone any experience of any of the custom lighting bars for the GS?

There seems to be a lot of choice, Terranova, RCU, Martin, Zan-Z-Bar etc.

I know there have been threads here detailing excellent custom solutions with square tubing etc. but I'd quite like to try something that was made for the job.

Also, is there a UK distribution for these bars?

cheers in advance

Russ

addendum

Also, has anyone tried the wunderlich crash bars with lighting attachments?
Russ

Luga00 . . . I think Gazza has had both at some time in the past.

Ahem....

SPC do the autoswitches from Cyclegadgets I believe but you can order direct at little extra cost. Many have done this.

As for your comment about bars made for the job I can assure you that there are many such light bars around - including my own and those of Greg and Roger who have spent many hours making these up to a very high specification. Cyclegadgets do these bars at $90 or so - ours cost a few pounds.

Your next question will be about lights - you get what you pay for - Halfords at the bottom end - Hella and PIAA at the other end. Read the various posts which will also inform you of how best to wire them up - cancel switch, main or dip beam.

Whether you have them on the Wunderlich bars or light bar or both they are an improvement on the OE.

cheers

Thanks for the replies.

I've just purchased some Hella FF50 fogs for around £37.00 and I'm seriously thinking about the Wunderlich bars for mounting them.

Russ

Size matters

Luga00 - one point to note is that the light bars use two non-load bearing threads under the beak so the light bars that go under the beak (as opposed to strapped to the forks) cannot really carry heavy lights. I have PIAA 1200s under the beak and big jobs on the bars linked to the main beam.

Since you already have the bars (with the pre-drilled mounting holes) there would be little advantage to mounting a "beak-bar".

Good luck

Cheers Mark.

I'm going to start off with the FF50's on the Wunderlich bars linked to dipped beam and later add a couple of driving lights under the beak (not heavy ones though) and linked to main beam.

Thanks for your help.
Russ

Mark Dilloway said:
Ahem....

SPC do the autoswitches from Cyclegadgets I believe but you can order direct at little extra cost. Many have done this.

.....including my own and those of Greg and Roger who have spent many hours making these up to a very high specification. Cyclegadgets do these bars at $90 or so - ours cost a few pounds.

Could you provide more info on this- I'm very interested?!

light bars

Mark, I've sent you a pm regarding your light bars. I'd like to hear from you.

Cheers

Phil

luga00 wrote:
I'm going to start off with the FF50's on the Wunderlich bars linked to dipped beam and later add a couple of driving lights under the beak (not heavy ones though) and linked to main beam.

Russ
I'm interested in how you get on with this set up. I've got the Wunderlich bars too and want to sort out some additional lighting. What made you choose the Hella lights? Are you going to wire them up yourself? If you follow one of the diagrams set out on previous posts then please let me know. As an electrics novice I'd appreciate any feedback or advice you can give

cheers
David

I was seriously temped by the Zan-z-bar item, but, frankly, just couldn't justify the £100+ that it cost.

I decided to make my own and did so with a length of tube from B&Q, the scrag-ends of a couple of paint aerosols from my shed and a couple of hours' work.

Roger Miles had, independently, produced exactly the same item using tube bought from the same B&Q store. Then I discovered that Lee Bastin had even posted plans of his identical design on this BB (now removed, I think). A word of caution however, if the plans are restored, there are two uncharacteristic measurement errors on Lee's plan - one is the distance between the mounting bolts, the other the size of the mounting bolts.

Perhaps Lee could be persuaded to correct and repost?

Greg

Greg - The measurements and mounting bolt sizes are correct for my 1150 if using the forward most "Beak" fixing points, if your's is also an 1150 you may well have used the oil cooler mountings which are slightly further back and use M6 bolts (unless things have changed since 2001!). Still, no worries, either position will do. Perhaps you could post your measurments and a pic of the finished job so we have both layouts covered. :D

CLICK FOR DIAGRAMS

Cheers :beerjug:

Lee.

thanks for that Lee, was in Halfords yesterday and they had a fair selection of driving & fog lights which got my juices flowing.

:D :tigger

thanks for that Lee, was in Halfords yesterday and they had a fair selection of driving & fog lights which got my juices flowing.

:D :tigger

lyjohn said:

Fog lights getting you juices flowing.....Nature's way of telling you to get out more:D

MikeO

diagrams

Hi Lee

Do you still have the other diagrams you did for the 'Halford Spots' thread? I seem to remember that you did a diagram for the inclusion of 2 relays and another for independent left/right light for use with dipped/main beam.

These pictures no longer seem to download inside the thread and so I'm assuming they are lost.

Your diagrams are an excellent resource to anyone wanting to implement different lighting configs and would be a worthy addition to your FromeBikeBreakers site.

cheers
Russ

Autoswitch diagrams

Thanks for your comments Russ, i do still have them so here they are....

This was in response to a request from Will Statt.

Can someone please help me? I've got my Halfords spots and my autoswitch, have made my mounting bar, and am ready to go! What I want to do, is wire the lights so that one comes on with the dipped beam, and both come on when on main beam, with both being switched by the autoswitch when I don't want to use them (daytime)

autoswitchmod.jpg

And this one was in response to a request from Greg Masters.

I want my extra lights to come on whenever I switch my main-beam on, but ALSO to be able to turn on the extra lights seperately using the Autoswitch (even if no headlights are on at all). Whilst we were riding through Spain I thought of a way of doing this using 3 relays, but can it be done by just using two?

autoswitchmod2.jpg

Yep, the 2-relay plus Autoswitch is the way to go!!

Cheers, Lee.

:cool:

Greg

Apologies to Lee Bastin

I've been grovelling under my bike's beak. It seems that Lee has used different mounting points, so 275mm/M5 is correct.

If you use the mounting points that I have, the dimmensions are 230mm and M6 bolts.

Greg

Attachments

• img_0636.jpg
    img_0636.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 717
So then Ralph & Lynn & John. We all live close to each other. We all seem to want extra lights fitted. What about doing all three bikes in one go?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom