Shocking Shocks

Pilch1e

Reaction score
My first bit of spannering on the GS

So I got my GS 2 months ago, and don't regret changing one bit.
But I have had the what seems to be a common problem, leaking rear shock. On reflection, the rear shock has probably been on the way out since I got it. Tended to see-saw through the gear box.
This progressively got worse, get like riding on flat tyres, not very sure footed when cornering or rolling over over banding on the roads. Whenever I was parked up, there would be little pools of bluish oil.
Oh well, I thought, spouse I should do something about that.

A quick look on FleaBay, I spotted these Wilbers units, from a low mileage 2010 GS, for 500 notes and £30 delivery. Said located in London, but they posted came from abroad. Explains the £30 delivery.

They arrived on Tuesday, but got time today to have go at fitting. Only 4 bolts, can't take long surely. The hardest thing was trying to undo the exhaust clamps. No amount of penetrating fluid was gonna help, ended up shearing off the bolt head. Will replace these next month, plan to change the end can. Gonna ask Santa for an SP Engineering can, which are here in Frome (Somerset).

The 2 bolts from the suspension came ok alright, didn't even need a bar breaker (which I haven't got) thankfully.

I used a ratchet strap through the wheel and round the subframe to align the bolt holes. Took a couple hours, mostly trying to free the exhaust. Didn't bother with plastic shroud, plan on fitting a hugger or mudsling instead.
6861a5ad0f57b8a50140a05ce2190caf.jpg
731664e55c9b0db656293978f46c431e.jpg
70c8adebab8ff2161c4539ce7651bcda.jpg
3594d101b8c46079deee7cc3dc7310bc.jpg
e3604883727d87b582c6b37988cb0021.jpg
85a82b19eb3cd11e234afecd9a83b733.jpg

A quick test ride round the block, the difference is night and day. I got rear damping now . Rode over every sleeping policeman and pot hole, really sure footed now, and barely any see-saw. The difference really highlights how shot the OE unit was .

Gonna change the front shock another day. Will fit FuzeBlock and hard wire sat-nav whilst I have the panels off.

Thanks guys for such a great forum, Richard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Front shock is a tad trickier. Worth doing some reading up on..
Enjoy your new ride

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom