Project Stealth

Thanks Solid

Forgot to add some progress on the frame so back at the beginning all the unwanted lugs were cast to the bin and part of this was removing the rear peg mounts. We have sourced a nice set of rear sets not bike specific but something to work with, what became apparent was one of the remaining peg mounts was not as wide top to bottom as the other and did not provide the correct landing area for said rear sets. Enter stage left the new Tig welder which was pressed into action welding up un used holes and tidyed up the sections still a bit of work but getting there.

Heres a quick pic of the frame sporting the rear sets.....

I have what look just like those rear sets on my SP2. They work well, resist corrosion well and….

...crash well! :D:blast

31642189585_e622b34842_b.jpg

Mark

were you looking for rabbits ?

Seriously i take it you were ok ? what track is that ?

It's Oliver's Mount; a classic track but a bit dodgy in places. The interlocking plastic sections on my back protector were shattered, so I have the best i could find now. I was a bit uncomfortable for a while but nothing broken.

The funny bit is that there was another event the following day; The twisty tarmac hill climb in a closed-roads Dalby Forest, so I needed something a lot more comfy to race than being scrunched up on a little SP2. :D :thumby::ukgser

24545583514_04856537ea_b.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack!:beerjug:

It's too fast for the bigger modern stuff really, even an 1100GS (unless you were Dave Jefferies who was great there on his at the hill climb).

But a nice slow airhead is just the ticket there…. except the brakes! :blast

27782791493_53b6364888_b.jpg

Finished off the rear set mounts and plated the ends to tidy up proceedings also tried out the swingarm for clearances...

Still building the rear wheel starting to wish i was knorring my own leg off.....

Mark that means we cant do bin envy.....

Sneaked a bit of time today on the rear wheel, we will need to rig up some pointers to make sure its true and having offerd up the wheel to the swingarm and bevel box mounted in the trusty workmate this looks like a good way to go although getting to the inner spokes could be tricky, we may need to make up a jig but lets hope not....

The wheel is a bit oily as all the spoke threads were coated before assembly including me.. so before the truing challenge begins here is the rear wheel in all its glory, should look trick when its mounted with a Supercorsa......

Thanks Mikey

We measured the origonal offset from mounting face to hub mounting at 16.5mm so its going to be a bit of a game to make sure we have a suitable tyre clearance to the swingarm, there are a couple of ideas to help tweak this but lets wait and see how it goes. As this is going to be a track inspired build the tyres will be Supercorsa's or similar, the plan will be for a 180 rear and 120 front, taking on board the coment from Andrew about handling there may be some further tweaks once its on the road but that may be a few months yet....

How is your build going ? any pics ?

Thanks Mikey

We measured the origonal offset from mounting face to hub mounting at 16.5mm so its going to be a bit of a game to make sure we have a suitable tyre clearance to the swingarm, there are a couple of ideas to help tweak this but lets wait and see how it goes. As this is going to be a track inspired build the tyres will be Supercorsa's or similar, the plan will be for a 180 rear and 120 front, taking on board the coment from Andrew about handling there may be some further tweaks once its on the road but that may be a few months yet....

How is your build going ? any pics ?
Still gathering parts,:thumb
Will start a proper thread when I have the bulk of the bits I need:clap
I'm probably not alone in thinking this bike is going to be a bit special:bounce1

No pressure then..... to be honest really looking forward to getting into the fabrication stage we have a number of ideas which could look interesting.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the powder coated rear hub holds up.

There was a huge amount of heat generated by the drum brake when I was messing with a TI camera

IR_0056.jpg

IR_0060.jpg

Normal powder coating can take the heat of a bike silencer ( not the headers ) and brake calipers /disc centre carriers so should be fine on a drum brake hub

I'm looking forward to seeing how the powder coated rear hub holds up.

There was a huge amount of heat generated by the drum brake when I was messing with a TI camera

IR_0056.jpg

IR_0060.jpg

By my reckoning and judging by the scale on your heat images I'd say they were about 60deg ....Certainly not a cause for concern!

So it was front wheel tweaking today, we had left the spokes done up to pre tension....but now needed to true up the wheel rim.

First if you cast your mind back a few posts we were adding to the fun buy using a GS 1150 front hub and this needed to be converted to fit the std spindle, as we are going to retain the std forks. The R100R runs a 25mm spindle plays the GS 19mm, as luck would have it the bearings on one end have a sleave fitted and when this is removed it has a 25mm ID hole - perfect. The other side we purchesed a new bearing with said 25 ID hole which just leaves the internal spacer, this proved a bit more tricky was the aliminum tube sizes did not line up with the inner race size so we made 2 top hats which were pressed into a new tube. Once the bearings were pushed in place or should that read drifted ? the truing could commence.

Using the fork legs with wheel and spindle assembled in situ this lot was strapped to the workmate and using cable ties for ovality and sides to side run out guides the fun realy started. Lets just say that many hours were expended and not much progress trying to make minor adjustments, we seemed to go back an forth just moving the problem. Finally we came up with our solution which did the trick, basically lossened all the spokes than went round each side getting the tension even with a low level torque setting by hand, once a side felt even it was just a case of starting at the valve location and going round adding less than a 1/4 turn each revolution and repeat. Then same process on the other side and bingo it just ran true and concentric, now its not what i imagined would happen but it worked for us. With everything tensioned up the center grup screws could be tightened up which just left getting the deck lounger out and the Havana Cigars..:JB.

Next time its the rear wheel which we are going to use the bevel box to spin the wheel up but not sure if this is going to work as access to the inner spokes may be obscured.

May bust the piggy bank and buy some new front discs now but if anyone has any going begging for a 1150 GS which are still servicable let me know. I will also be putting the front wheel which is complete apart from spindle up for grabs soon again if anyone is interested with this or needs any bits for a R100R let me know.

Back
Top Bottom