Cold feet

gspod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I've got a touch of Raynauds and get a chilblain so looking for something to keep my toes warm.

My Altbergs have always been very warm but my Sidis are much easier and qulcker for everyday use - but cold. I have an EXO heated vest and have been looking at their insoles but I use high prescription orthoses so worried that heated insoles would not fit, can anybody recommend some heated socks?

Ta

My Gerbing heated socks are a lifesaver - you will need a controller as well. I found that heated insoles took up too much room inside the boot and also that warming my core with a heated jacket had absolutely no effect on my hands and feet.

Furthermore no matter what anybody says about what works for them, they cannot deny that no two people are alike. You have to have something that works for you.

My Altbergs have always been very warm but my Sidis are much easier and qulcker for everyday use - but cold.

Personally I'd get up 5 mins earlier and wear the Altbergs :D, Sidi Courier boots with merino socks are warm and easy if you need the lie in :beerjug:

My preference(s)...

I haven't got chilblains (!) or anything but I do HATE cold feet, my solution is Daytona M-Star boots and Smartwool medium hiking socks. The boots are kept clean and polished with Kiwi black and they still look like new after 2.5 years and 20k odd miles and the socks are not the thickest ones because when I did wear them, I found the blood got cut off coz there was no room for it to flow and heat my toes...

Might help, might not, just my views :) :nenau

Andy

Personally I'd get up 5 mins earlier and wear the Altbergs :D, Sidi Courier boots with merino socks are warm and easy if you need the lie in :beerjug:

I get up in plenty of time to put put on 14 hole Dr Martens but I often work at multi sites on a given day and, even though I'm a laid back hippy/hipster, it can be a bit tiresome lacing and un-lacing boots because I have to wear smart footwear :D

Thanks for the tip but I really need some kind of heated appliance for long journeys, I'm fed up with chilblains- they're bloody painful, may you never get them :beerjug:

My Gerbing heated socks are a lifesaver - you will need a controller as well. I found that heated insoles took up too much room inside the boot and also that warming my core with a heated jacket had absolutely no effect on my hands and feet.

That's great info, thanks. :thumb2

I use warmnsafe heated socks (I also have their gloves and jacket)
Like you, my feet are the first to feel the cold and when my feet are cold in cold, the warmnsafe socks are super soft and very comfy
If you power then off the bike you will need a controller or you could use a portable battery pack, I'm often on cold building sites so in winter I wear them to work, the battery lasted me all day today (I take a 2nd battery just in case)
One tip I will give is keep your toenails trim as you don't want to damage an expensive pair of sock with sharp toenails

I use warmnsafe heated socks (I also have their gloves and jacket)
Like you, my feet are the first to feel the cold and when my feet are cold in cold, the warmnsafe socks are super soft and very comfy
If you power then off the bike you will need a controller or you could use a portable battery pack, I'm often on cold building sites so in winter I wear them to work, the battery lasted me all day today (I take a 2nd battery just in case)
One tip I will give is keep your toenails trim as you don't want to damage an expensive pair of sock with sharp toenails

Thanks I'll check them out. Short toe nails are a must for chilblains :thumb2

I have been told that silk is very good as thermal insulation. A friend has been recommended silk inner gloves (I have some too) and have been wondering about socks. Might be worth a try....

Back
Top Bottom