Totally messed with my head now

ninjarich1971

Reaction score
Ok I know this may not be news to some but this just blew my mind. Stick with me tho it's a bit of a tale.
so, we have 18 year old daughter and we purchased a second hand car for £5000. Did insurance quote for the child with mother as named driver and came back at £1300 per year. Paid the premium and released the fuckwit into the driving community.
Sure enough two months in she rolls the car and writes it off, no one else involved, going too fast lack of experience blah blah blah.
Informed insurance who paid out immediately no worries £4800.
Daughter goes out and buys exactly the same year and model car for similar price and gets new insurance quote which is only£1000.
This cant be right, so I'm telling a bloke at work and he says "why have you taken a new policy out?"
i explained that the car was write off and that you need to take new policy out once they pay out. No you don't says he, just ring them up and tell them to carry on the existing insurance with the new car, obviously you will pay any value difference but as it's same car you won't pay any more. Told him he was stupid fuckwit and was duly laughing about idiot at work to wife who then rang insurance company to check and guess what? Yes now I'm the fuckwit and daughter is £1000 better off as moron at work is cleverest man I know. So long as you don't leave it too long you can insure a different vehicle without starting afresh.
I know that if you change vehicle mid way thro etc you can change over and carry on as I've done it whenever I buy new bike but totally unaware that once you've written one of you can replace it and just carry on and pay any value difference. If I'm the only person this is news to then apologies all round but I live in a small world. :confused:

Don't know why you would think the existing policy was void just because it paid out.
If you made a claim on your household insurance, would you expect to have to go out and find a new policy?

If it was just a claim on an item then I agree but if you burnt the whole house down and they paid out then I believed that once you got a new house you would need to take out new policy and obviously pay a higher premium because you claimed.

Don't know why you would think the existing policy was void just because it paid out.
If you made a claim on your household insurance, would you expect to have to go out and find a new policy?

Luckily never written a car or bike off or had to claim on home insurance so never considered it before. When you do think about it though yes why wouldn't it still cover you

If it was just a claim on an item then I agree but if you burnt the whole house down and they paid out then I believed that once you got a new house you would need to take out new policy and obviously pay a higher premium because you claimed.

Don't think that's the case, old fruit.
I've never burnt the house down, but I have written off a car (it was the wife's...........I rolled it :D). Didn't have to renew my insurance and don't think the premium went up even though it was my fault (protected no claims).
Wapping may be along to give you the low down but I believe your presumption may be erroneous.:beerjug:

Have had two cars written off in the past, one my fault one not. Both times the policy ended the moment the insurance company paid out.
Just checked my current policy T&Cs and it's the same. Policy ends in the case of a total loss payout.

Oh for crying out loud! Just when I thought I'd got my head round it. So I guess then that it must depend on your insurer. I was dead certain that it was tosh but we have just done it so I know it is available and possible. If it's not across the board then should it be a question to check with the insurance company?

I'm more surprised that they only quoted her £1000 for the second insurance policy after she had a claim compared with £1300 for the first one before she claimed!

To be honest it was that which prompted me to talk to my mate about it to tell him how surprised we were. I have absolutely no idea how they calculate this stuff. I'm thinking that they just reach into a big bag and pull out a ball with a figure on it and that's your quote. Job done.

Back
Top Bottom