1050 Speed Triple

Pukmeister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm giving serious consideration to selling my R1 and buying a more upright yet still rapid bike, and amongst many others I've looked at the S3 seems to tick all the boxes.

I would particularly like a 2010 model with chrome headlights (especially an SE or 15th Anniversary model) as I'm not so keen on the later plastic headlights and I think the performance should be more than enough for a Sunday scratch/commute/short tour. I'm keeping my GSA for more lengthy tours.

Has anyone got any experience of the 1050 engined speed triple, both good and bad? Is long-term reliability an issue ??

I'd also like to do a few mods like quickshifter, arrow system, slipper clutch, remap and suspension setup to make it fit/work how I want it.

The 1050 is a very strong/reliable motor but it can still suffer with starter sprag issues if you try and start it on a weak battery. It is also not unknown for the camchains to fail. A friend of mine had an 05 and she sold that with 60k on the clock still going strong

I've only ever owned 05 model year 1050's but they were both trouble free :thumb2

Thanks for the feedback, I've been browsing the "show us your trumpet" thread and notice lots of S3 owners so they must have something going for them. Just gotta convince the missus I need another bike, that's the tricky part.

Back
Top Bottom