Oil leak!

carlhowe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just back from a 200 mile run.....back of bike (02 1150, 55k) covered in oil spray........will investigate tomorrow, but think this may get expensive. I think I may have been lucky as oil all over tyre!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

It could just be a 30 quid seal, or it could be an 80 quid bearing and a £30 seal.

No reason for it to be expensive, it's not a 1200

I hope so. Bike running as normal.

If it's coming from the final drive it'll be the aforementioned most likely.

If it's coming from the front right (as you sit on the bike) of the engine, underneath the tank) you're in luck, that'll be a shitty little alloy washer that's rotted away where the oil cooler pipe connects to the engine.

I think all the oil is at the back, do probably shaft/drive. I will look at the weekend....if it does not pour with rain.

It may very well be the big seal and bearing in the FD as Flipfly stated. It's a job that can be done fairly easily at home by an averagely skilled person or by the side of the road by a mechanical genius such as Steptoe.

However, for trouble free riding for another 50k+ miles it may be better to get the entire FD shipped to someone like Mikeyboy and get it checked out thoroughly and rebuilt with any new parts required. IMO these units weren't built to a very high standard by BMW in the first place and as the shimming is critical to performance and longevity a skilled professional rebuild may well be worthwhile even if it does coast a few hundred £££'s.

How long have you had the bike and do you have the entire service history? Mine failed at 26k fixed by me; 60K fixed by an engineer and then again at 69K when I had it completely rebuilt by Mikeyboy's predecessor. Sold at ~97K with no further issues.

P.S. Change the FD oil at every engine oil change. It costs buttons, is dead simple to do and gives you advance warning of pending problems if you see grey oil coming out.

My FD oil always comes out grey and it stinks. I change it every 12,000 mile as per BMW's schedule. 122,000 miles on the original bearing and it's still fine. Now I've said that it'll fail tomorrow no doubt.

Regards

RobC

My FD oil always comes out grey and it stinks. I change it every 12,000 mile as per BMW's schedule. 122,000 miles on the original bearing and it's still fine. Now I've said that it'll fail tomorrow no doubt.

Regards

RobC

i thought that to. its all ways is gray and stink lol

Had a look at the bike today. Final drive oil was bright and clear (last changed about 4k ago) and on bottom thread, so not final drive oil. No play in bearings. Lots of smoke cloud on start up (there always is) but it didn't fully clear after 5 minutes. Valve stem seals? Can oil droplets make it out of the exhaust?
Bike is 55k, a bit of a dirty/corroded thing (I ride all year round, I don't have a car). Owned from new (March 2002). Luckily I have a spare (2005 1150gsa, similar mileage).
Will try a run tomorrow (200 mile round trip to Leicester) and see what happens.
I will strive to do any work myself, very limited garage space and no drive, so I have to work in the road.

Gearbox output seal can leak and oil will run down inside shaft tunnel and drip out at the rubber boot?

Back
Top Bottom