CCM 450GP

And suprisingly robust......

P1030377-2-XL.jpg

Happy new bike day Ferret. Must have been a good test ride for you to buy one there and then!

If you join the owners' FB group you'll see that one guy has just ridden his to Switzerland today.

Hope you enjoy riding it both on and off road :beerjug:

So (aside from lowering the revs and controlling power through electronics) has anything been done to that engine to make it become a realitivly high mile muncher?

Am I right in thinking that it still only holds just over 1lt of oil - My KTM 500 now takes 1.4lt

It does make me think my 500 could do big miles as long as I don't rag it - Which I don't because I can't :D

It like the CCM is very happy at 70-75 mph, it all gets quite smooth at those speeds

So (aside from lowering the revs and controlling power through electronics) has anything been done to that engine to make it become a realitivly high mile muncher?

Am I right in thinking that it still only holds just over 1lt of oil - My KTM 500 now takes 1.4lt

It does make me think my 500 could do big miles as long as I don't rag it - Which I don't because I can't :D

It like the CCM is very happy at 70-75 mph, it all gets quite smooth at those speeds

Oil capacity is just over 1 litre but that doesn't seem to cause any problems and mine didn't need any topping up in either of the off road trips this year. Service intervals are published 5,000 miles.
Plenty of folk doing longer distances both on and off road now (including down to SA, the TAT, Lands End to John O'Groats etc.) and I've not seen any reports of engine problems, most common fault seems to be heated grips stop working due to fuse working loose.

No idea how good a mile muncher the KTM500 would be by comparison and I've seen you ride yours and "restraint" wasn't the first thing that came to mind ;) :D

Stuart i had a go on one capable off road and ok on it fancied one with sm wheels as well would make a great hooner but and its a big butt
They come restricted and invalidates warranty if you go to full power which was a pain but they have some demos for sale worth a trip to Bolton and go for a ride with Sooty see what you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They come restricted and invalidates warranty if you go to full power which was a pain but they have some demos for sale worth a trip to Bolton and go for a ride with Sooty see what you think
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Full power conversion no longer invalidates the warranty :D :D :D

Done that Finn, bought a secondhand one, not demo from them👍 And as toddmeister says you can have full power without invalidating the warranty. I will use it for a few weeks before I decide on wether to have the full power upgrade.

Done that Finn, bought a secondhand one, not demo from them�� And as toddmeister says you can have full power without invalidating the warranty. I will use it for a few weeks before I decide on wether to have the full power upgrade.
Fitting the full power plug alone WILL invalidate the engine warranty. The factory approved factory/dealer fitted Power Commander, full power plug and Quill exhaust mod alone retains the warranty. Tom G

Fitting the full power plug alone WILL invalidate the engine warranty. The factory approved factory/dealer fitted Power Commander, full power plug and Quill exhaust mod alone retains the warranty. Tom G

You at quite correct, you have to have the power commander with the full power plug to keep the warranty. Not sure you have to have the Quill though as I think they've got a map for standard exhaust too? I'll check with Sooty.

There will always be other choices and other cheaper bikes, but as a straight out of the box lightweight, off road focussed long distance machine it's a pretty good option. I also like the fact that it's a bit different from the KTM/Honda/Yamaha offering and has a bit if good old British heritage behind it. You can meet the blokes who built it when you collect!

As for the WK - looks interesting and at that price you can always throw it away after a trip :D

I love mine , had the power commander, performance plug and exhaust and this transforms the bike ,

I love mine , had the power commander, performance plug and exhaust and this transforms the bike ,

My mate phil and i both have ccm 450 we rode up to the factury together to have the upgrades done these are his comments ,and i fully agree
Yesterday I made the 250 mile round trip to Bolton for the power pack upgrade - the route there and back was a mixture of fast A roads, slow twisty's, motorways and city riding so a great chance for a direct comparrision.
The first thing to say is "WOW". The upgrade transforms the bike. It's no understatement to say its like riding a different bike. The fueling and throttle response is superb.
City Riding: Smooth, great torque and pulls much more easily throughout the gear range. No more surging or feeling like you need to be in-between gears. 30MPH in 4th gear with a constant throttle is a breeze - just wind it open and it pulls without hesitation.
Motorway Riding: You can actually feel the bike straining less at 70/75mph. It feels so much more free revving. Open the throttle and your up to 80MPH for overtakes much quicker and it doesn't feel like your ringing its neck.
A Roads/Twisties - The fueling feels perfect throughout the range in ever gear. Pulls better out of the corners, comes up to speed for overtakes much quicker, no overrun or surging on downhill hairpins. More power throughout the range. Completely predictable and even more fun than standard.

I went for the Steel with carbon tip option (I don't like delicate full carbon exhausts on an adventure bike that needs to take some abuse) and its lightweight, looks good and with the baffle in, not that much noisier than the standard can - It certainly isn't offensive.
When the price was first released my first thought was "thats bloody expensive" but its been worth every penny - It is smoothest, best fuelled single cylinder bike i've ridden.

Hi Judd, sounds like a worthwhile upgrade, a few questions if I may:
how long did it take for the factory to fit?
are the service intervals affected?
and if you don't mind ,how much does it cost?

thanks
Stuart

[Hi it takes around 2/3 hours to fit , there are various options power commander , you can then add power plug and then exhaust , for all three its around £900 ,expensive but well worth it , plus still retain full warranty
the benefits of the exhaust is losing the cat, bike runs a lot cooler and sheds a bit more weight , i don't find it a problem on the motorway ,
we recently did a north yorks moors trip over a couple of days ,including some really washed out climbs the suspension is superb , its a cracking bike
If your on face book join the ccm 450 riders page full of info etc
I have only found ccm a pleasure to deal with
Regards
George

a QUOTE=FERRET;4561641]Hi Judd, sounds like a worthwhile upgrade, a few questions if I may:

thanks
Stuart[/QUOTE]

Sorry forgot service intervels same as standard ,
But as with all my bikes cars etc i always change oil a lot more often than service intervals but ccm same as ktm only takes just over a liter of oil

[Hi it takes around 2/3 hours to fit , there are various options power commander , you can then add power plug and then exhaust , for all three its around £900 ,expensive but well worth it , plus still retain full warranty
the benefits of the exhaust is losing the cat, bike runs a lot cooler and sheds a bit more weight , i don't find it a problem on the motorway ,
we recently did a north yorks moors trip over a couple of days ,including some really washed out climbs the suspension is superb , its a cracking bike
If your on face book join the ccm 450 riders page full of info etc
I have only found ccm a pleasure to deal with
Regards
George

a QUOTE=FERRET;4561641]Hi Judd, sounds like a worthwhile upgrade, a few questions if I may:

thanks
Stuart
[/QUOTE]

Stop it, stop it - I am trying to hold off until Service time in the spring ...... or maybe the New Year Sale.......

Back
Top Bottom