2018 KTM 790 Adventure

As if that wan't enough faff, to fit the TT top case, you need another carrier that bolts to the metal "Top Case Carrier" you've pictured.

May I ask how ?
I can’t see how unless you were supplied with a different part or adapted it/ drilled it out ?

Cable ties. ;)

Dealer just called me and said theres a problem. He was most impressed when I was able to guess what the issue was.

Oh I see.So you haven’t actually fitted one at all ?
I wonder what they’ll do ?

I haven’t fitted myself but I was told it’s on along with other parts I ordered and ready for Tuesday collection no mention of any problems obviously but by the sound of it there is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RTQ=1/2 FA !!

Meanwhile , if any of you boys with a new 790 want an Akra for a good price , my dealer has a spare at a good price as he got sent one too many .

PM for more info .
Does he have any spare (cheap) Akras for a 1290 SD GT?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I haven’t fitted myself but I was told it’s on along with other parts I ordered and ready for Tuesday collection no mention of any problems obviously but by the sound of it there is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ah ok.

Unless they know something my dealer doesn’t, I bet they have drilled out the carrier to fit the top plate,which is what my dealer will probably end up doing, unless KTM have an answer......

I strongly suspect that is a lie Arsey. I bet you have a Merc G-Wagon for such tasks................

It must have shrunk then !!! And changed colour and style !!

7469daa760ded3d899ec5670db20a057.jpg

Arsey, early days I know, but interested how the 790 compares with the 950se you had.

Arsey, early days I know, but interested how the 790 compares with the 950se you had.

One has a soul which never fails to put a smile on your face, is lighter and a real off road bike....... ;)

So the total cost to be able to strap a bag on the back of the bike is £200.

I'd be interested to know just what the original bit is supposed to be good for as it doesn't matter whether you want to mount a luggage rack or any of the three top box options, you still need to lay out £112.98 as an 'entry price' into the arena.

Something I prepared earlier on just the KTM accessories...

LUGGAGE ROLLS/REAR BAGS

Luggage roll rack: Many adventure tourers would combine hard panniers with a luggage roll. The rear rack for this is p/n 60312978044 costs £86.70, but also needs the KTM carrier plate 60612910044, £112.98. Total cost £199.68.

Luggage roll bag: 38 litres (a bit small), p/n 60112078000, cost about £70.

Rear bag 24-36 litres: straps to pillion or carrier plate. Not waterproof, includes rain cover. P/n 61312928000, about £150.

TOP BOXES

Black aluminium Touratech top box: 38 litres, p/n 63512929044, about £393. This needs a carrier mount 63512927044, about £87, plus the KTM carrier plate 60612910044, £112.98. So total cost about £593.

Generic KTM top box: a cheaper plastic solution with huge 48 litres storage, p/n 62012927000, about £261. Needs a carrier mount 60312927000, about £43 plus the carrier plate 60612910044, about £112.98. So total cost about £417.

Touring Top Case: smart looking 36-litre top box, p/n 63512929544 about £437. Needs carrier plate 60612910044 at £112.98. The carrier mount appears to be included with the case. Total cost £550.

PANNIERS

Black aluminium Touratech panniers: p/n 63512922000 (45 litre) and 63512923000 (31 litre) are about £393 each, plus mounting rails are needed, p/n 63512912044 at about £235. So about £1020 in total.

Touring Case Set (panniers): to match the Touring Top Case. Capacity unknown (guess of 36 and 30 litre). p/n 63512932044, about £700. Needs mounting rails, p/n 63512012044 about £209. Total cost £909.

TANK BAGS

18-litre tank bag: 75012919000 about £139 (not waterproof, inner bag supplied)

13-16 litre QuickLock tank bag: 63512919000 about £175 (not waterproof, rain hood supplied)

Some of the prices above can be beaten, SP Motorcycles seem to have consistently good prices.

Here’s my function follows form and reason why I won’t buy a 790 even though I’m sure its a great bike. I certainly want to test one. I rode the 790 Duke and that’s a crazy little bike.

Ex Lyndon Poskitt..732 kit fitted ? Should be a well sorted bike that :thumb2

One has a soul which never fails to put a smile on your face, is lighter and a real off road bike....... ;)

Sorry Tim, but the 790R is lighter by 1kg !!! :)

Quoted dry weights 189 for the 790R and 190kgs for the SE950R.

But I had a 30 litre tank on the 950,so fill that up and its about 25kgs,so the same as balancing a very heavy suitcase on your legs when riding and about 215kgs wet (plus oils).

But then the 20 litre tank of the 790R brings the wet weight up to 205kgs.The big difference being that this 16kgs is sat in front of the engine and the C of G is MUCH lower than the 950.Should be similar tank ranges (280 miles to reserve) as the 790 motor is a fair bit better on juice than the 950.

Doyle,to try and answer your question-bare in mind my 950 never ventured far off-road.I’m 6’1” but with the Renzaco I was on tip toe and it was quite top heavy.My limited off-road skills stopped me going far off the tarmac with it,but I did take it all over Europe and it was a fantastic bike.

To this day that carb’d 950 motor was probably the nicest power delivery of any (50+) bikes I’ve owned.

But coming now to the 790R-wow,what a bike.
Ok,I’ve only done 90 miles so far and all on Guernsey but the good thing about that is that riding a bike at low speed and in traffic gives you an early feel for the balance and handling.
I read it elsewhere but the 790R really does feel like a scaled up EXC.

The balance and ‘poise’ is unbelievable .That weight being carried so low makes it feel so chuckable and light.
The power delivery is VERY smooth,yet potent.
I’d hazard a guess that its putting out 10/15 more bhp than the 950 at the rear wheel.
KTM have done a great job-the fuelling is much better than on the 790 Duke.
I’ve ridden a few local tracks but certainly feel like it would flatter my riding off-road.And the Rally mode with on-the-go throttle adjustment from 1-9 is supposedly a god-send off-road .
I’ve had a play with it and can certainly feel the difference.

Tim, we were talking over lunch the other day how some bikes are too easy to ride-you would probably feel the 790R is cheating as its so good but for people like me who are CRAP,I think it will be bloody brilliant.

It’ll be interesting to get your expert opinion when you get to ride one (in Iceland if not before).

I know you love your 950,and it has soul like a modern bike will never have,but I’m hazarding a guess that you will be rather surprised by just how good the 790R actually is.

I think it may turn out to be KTM’s biggest seller for years.....

Motorcycles do not have souls. Its all in your feckin head. And some other parts of your body.

Ex Lyndon Poskitt..732 kit fitted ? Should be a well sorted bike that :thumb2

It is indeed the first one he ever built, it’s been upgraded with most of his developments and its a gem thanks, though a little scuffed round the edges through lots of miles and a few crashes. It’s definitely a keeper but I keep looking at everything written about the 790 and want to try one. Could I justify having one as well instead of a new kitchen? Hmm difficult question as I have such a kitchen fetish.

Sorry Tim, but the 790R is lighter by 1kg !!! :)

Quoted dry weights 189 for the 790R and 190kgs for the SE950R.

But I had a 30 litre tank on the 950,so fill that up and its about 25kgs,so the same as balancing a very heavy suitcase on your legs when riding and about 215kgs wet (plus oils).

But then the 20 litre tank of the 790R brings the wet weight up to 205kgs.The big difference being that this 16kgs is sat in front of the engine and the C of G is MUCH lower than the 950.Should be similar tank ranges (280 miles to reserve) as the 790 motor is a fair bit better on juice than the 950.

Doyle,to try and answer your question-bare in mind my 950 never ventured far off-road.I’m 6’1” but with the Renzaco I was on tip toe and it was quite top heavy.My limited off-road skills stopped me going far off the tarmac with it,but I did take it all over Europe and it was a fantastic bike.

To this day that carb’d 950 motor was probably the nicest power delivery of any (50+) bikes I’ve owned.

But coming now to the 790R-wow,what a bike.
Ok,I’ve only done 90 miles so far and all on Guernsey but the good thing about that is that riding a bike at low speed and in traffic gives you an early feel for the balance and handling.
I read it elsewhere but the 790R really does feel like a scaled up EXC.

The balance and ‘poise’ is unbelievable .That weight being carried so low makes it feel so chuckable and light.
The power delivery is VERY smooth,yet potent.
I’d hazard a guess that its putting out 10/15 more bhp than the 950 at the rear wheel.
KTM have done a great job-the fuelling is much better than on the 790 Duke.
I’ve ridden a few local tracks but certainly feel like it would flatter my riding off-road.And the Rally mode with on-the-go throttle adjustment from 1-9 is supposedly a god-send off-road .
I’ve had a play with it and can certainly feel the difference.

Tim, we were talking over lunch the other day how some bikes are too easy to ride-you would probably feel the 790R is cheating as its so good but for people like me who are CRAP,I think it will be bloody brilliant.

It’ll be interesting to get your expert opinion when you get to ride one (in Iceland if not before).

I know you love your 950,and it has soul like a modern bike will never have,but I’m hazarding a guess that you will be rather surprised by just how good the 790R actually is.

I think it may turn out to be KTM’s biggest seller for years.....

Arsey you've been very selective when comparing weights by quoting the massive Safari tank which incidentally lowers the c of g when after the first gallon is used.
Virtually every 950SE has it's TWO very heavy silencers replaced with Akras or similar which not only give a massive weight saving but with correct jetting dyno readings suggest 100+ bhp (not to mention the 990 conversions).

Talking of bhp, I'm not sure where you get the idea a 790 is more powerful???

Yes the SE is outrageously tall (it's an outrageous bike!) But fitting a tall Renazco seat then complaining about the height shows more bias than a Brexit debate :D

Of course comparisons are drawn on forums, a decade and a half of technological advances is of course going to lead to improvements in economy etc.

It's used to be the HP2 v SE debate which makes sense, trying to compare either of them with modern and arguably more bland bikes misses the point of them by a country mile.

But deep down in the beige soul of all motorbikes they really all want to feel and sound like a 950SE. ;)

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.................

But deep down in the beige soul of all motorbikes they really all want to feel and sound like a 950SE. ;)

Reading you get all defensive about the SE and knocking the new kid on the block over the last few posts has made we wonder if there is possibly a new ukGSer JB in the making.............

Then, as predictable as a predictable thing...........

Boom!

Move over JB, you're sooooooo yesterday, Timolgra is now da man! :D :D :D

:kissy2

Andres

Back
Top Bottom