Page 57 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 KTM 790 Adventure

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by mspenz View Post
    Ex Lyndon Poskitt..732 kit fitted ? Should be a well sorted bike that
    It is indeed the first one he ever built, it’s been upgraded with most of his developments and its a gem thanks, though a little scuffed round the edges through lots of miles and a few crashes. It’s definitely a keeper but I keep looking at everything written about the 790 and want to try one. Could I justify having one as well instead of a new kitchen? Hmm difficult question as I have such a kitchen fetish.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    Sorry Tim, but the 790R is lighter by 1kg !!! :-)

Quoted dry weights 189 for the 790R and 190kgs for the SE950R.

But I had a 30 litre tank on the 950,so fill that up and its about 25kgs,so the same as balancing a very heavy suitcase on your legs when riding and about 215kgs wet (plus oils).

But then the 20 litre tank of the 790R brings the wet weight up to 205kgs.The big difference being that this 16kgs is sat in front of the engine and the C of G is MUCH lower than the 950.Should be similar tank ranges (280 miles to reserve) as the 790 motor is a fair bit better on juice than the 950.

Doyle,to try and answer your question-bare in mind my 950 never ventured far off-road.I’m 6’1” but with the Renzaco I was on tip toe and it was quite top heavy.My limited off-road skills stopped me going far off the tarmac with it,but I did take it all over Europe and it was a fantastic bike.

To this day that carb’d 950 motor was probably the nicest power delivery of any (50+) bikes I’ve owned.

But coming now to the 790R-wow,what a bike.
    Ok,I’ve only done 90 miles so far and all on Guernsey but the good thing about that is that riding a bike at low speed and in traffic gives you an early feel for the balance and handling.
    I read it elsewhere but the 790R really does feel like a scaled up EXC.

The balance and ‘poise’ is unbelievable .That weight being carried so low makes it feel so chuckable and light.
    The power delivery is VERY smooth,yet potent.
    I’d hazard a guess that its putting out 10/15 more bhp than the 950 at the rear wheel.
    KTM have done a great job-the fuelling is much better than on the 790 Duke.
    I’ve ridden a few local tracks but certainly feel like it would flatter my riding off-road.And the Rally mode with on-the-go throttle adjustment from 1-9 is supposedly a god-send off-road .
    I’ve had a play with it and can certainly feel the difference.

Tim, we were talking over lunch the other day how some bikes are too easy to ride-you would probably feel the 790R is cheating as its so good but for people like me who are CRAP,I think it will be bloody brilliant.

It’ll be interesting to get your expert opinion when you get to ride one (in Iceland if not before).

I know you love your 950,and it has soul like a modern bike will never have,but I’m hazarding a guess that you will be rather surprised by just how good the 790R actually is.

I think it may turn out to be KTM’s biggest seller for years.....
    Arsey you've been very selective when comparing weights by quoting the massive Safari tank which incidentally lowers the c of g when after the first gallon is used.
    Virtually every 950SE has it's TWO very heavy silencers replaced with Akras or similar which not only give a massive weight saving but with correct jetting dyno readings suggest 100+ bhp (not to mention the 990 conversions).

Talking of bhp, I'm not sure where you get the idea a 790 is more powerful???

Yes the SE is outrageously tall (it's an outrageous bike!) But fitting a tall Renazco seat then complaining about the height shows more bias than a Brexit debate

Of course comparisons are drawn on forums, a decade and a half of technological advances is of course going to lead to improvements in economy etc.

It's used to be the HP2 v SE debate which makes sense, trying to compare either of them with modern and arguably more bland bikes misses the point of them by a country mile.

But deep down in the beige soul of all motorbikes they really all want to feel and sound like a 950SE.
    KEA

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe JohnnyBoxer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    But deep down in the beige soul of all motorbikes they really all want to feel and sound like a 950SE.

JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe Outtomunch's Avatar

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.................

Reading you get all defensive about the SE and knocking the new kid on the block over the last few posts has made we wonder if there is possibly a new ukGSer JB in the making.............

Then, as predictable as a predictable thing...........

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Boom!

Move over JB, you're sooooooo yesterday, Timolgra is now da man!

Andres
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    One of the five imbeciles of the vainglorious big swinging dick types of the Harley section

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    Reading you get all defensive about the SE and knocking the new kid on the block over the last few posts has made we wonder if there is possibly a new ukGSer JB in the making.............
    Anyone who's owned one knows all too well the shortcomings of the SE, if you think that was defensive of the SE (which I'm not) then look again as I'm pointing out it's a ridiculous comparison........

...................Much like Mustang v Mondeo

Anyway, I'm in a bad mood because I have to spend my working day on a BMW and all this weekend on a KTM

Simply put
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    KEA

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe Outtomunch's Avatar
    I know and you know I'm only teasing Tim............

It reminds me a bit of back in the day when I could ride a bike and was racing SM on my great big 636 CCM. All SMs then were great big LC4's, CCM's, 610 Huskies etc and we all thought we were the dogs and super macho riding the big shit......... Then along came the cheeky whiper snappers on their Execs and similar; fecking girls bikes they were...........thing is they pissed all over us and one or two seasons later nobody was racing the big old dinosaurs...............

I STILL think tiny SMs are girls bikes though, give me a big old brute of a thing any day (well, apart from the fact I can no longer ride one like it should be with my old bones and addled brain)

Andres
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    One of the five imbeciles of the vainglorious big swinging dick types of the Harley section

Versatile as well
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe Arsey's Avatar
    Arsey you've been very selective when comparing weights by quoting the massive Safari tank which incidentally lowers the c of g when after the first gallon is used.
    Virtually every 950SE has it's TWO very heavy silencers replaced with Akras or similar which not only give a massive weight saving but with correct jetting dyno readings suggest 100+ bhp (not to mention the 990 conversions).

Talking of bhp, I'm not sure where you get the idea a 790 is more powerful???

Yes the SE is outrageously tall (it's an outrageous bike!) But fitting a tall Renazco seat then complaining about the height shows more bias than a Brexit debate

Of course comparisons are drawn on forums, a decade and a half of technological advances is of course going to lead to improvements in economy etc.

It's used to be the HP2 v SE debate which makes sense, trying to compare either of them with modern and arguably more bland bikes misses the point of them by a country mile.

Tim,

I was being slightly tic about the weight !!
    All I know , having owned a 950SE for a decade is that the 790 feels much lighter even though it isn’t .

And with regards to power , again , for me, the 790 feels to have more grunt . Ok I’ve not ridden a 950 now for over a year but at least I’ve actually ridden both bikes to make a comparison!!

And I don’t think I was complaining about the seat height of the SE. I merely said that I was on tip toe. I rode it all over Ireland/Scotland/Alps with no issues and never dropped it -only after 3 knee ops did I start to struggle .

The 790 certainly isn’t better than the 950 and I have a feeling you won’t gel with it but for the rest of us mere mortals , it’s going to be quite popular .
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerlust View Post
    The LC is probably one of the highest quality and longest lasting bikes currently on sale today.

Tim,

I was being slightly tic about the weight !!
    All I know , having owned a 950SE for a decade is that the 790 feels much lighter even though it isn’t .

And with regards to power , again , for me, the 790 feels to have more grunt . Ok I’ve not ridden a 950 now for over a year but at least I’ve actually ridden both bikes to make a comparison!!

And I don’t think I was complaining about the seat height of the SE. I merely said that I was on tip toe. I rode it all over Ireland/Scotland/Alps with no issues and never dropped it -only after 3 knee ops did I start to struggle .

The 790 certainly isn’t better than the 950 and I have a feeling you won’t gel with it but for the rest of us mere mortals , it’s going to be quite popular .
    Firstly, I think some seem to over estimate my off road abilities!
    What I do know with some more focused bikes is the harder they're ridden the better they become, that's certainly true with many rally bikes and I'd say the same for the 950.

It appears the 790 will be very user friendly and compliant off road even at lower speeds and thats not to say it doesn't also work when pushed.
    That is where the 790 will undoubably excel and appeal to many riders.

All I'm saying is that's not what I'm looking for in a bike.
    ABS, traction control and heaven forbid a twist and go AT are all designed to yes be safer but also easier and to many that's what makes a 'great bike' but I'll never forget Robbie C's words to me after my first ride on a 950SE.....
    " with some bikes you think I could kill myself on this but the SE wants to kill you"
    KEA

What I do know with some more focused bikes is the harder they're ridden the better they become, that's certainly true with many rally bikes and I'd say the same for the 950.

It appears the 790 will be very user friendly and compliant off road even at lower speeds and thats not to say it doesn't also work when pushed.

ABS, traction control and heaven forbid a twist and go AT are all designed to yes be safer but also easier and to many that's what makes a 'great bike' but I'll never forget Robbie C's words to me after my first ride on a 950SE.....
    " with some bikes you think I could kill myself on this but the SE wants to kill you"
    You managed to keep up with me so you must be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

how are they at "advanced" motorway speeds ? What speed do they feel comfy at ? Do vibes significantly increase at say 70,80.. ?
    cheers

I think Cymarc need to get the toolbox made up quickly as there’s enough room for a full tool box, sofa and lap dance on the opposite side to the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe narvey View Post
    I think Cymarc need to get the toolbox made up quickly as there’s enough room for a full tool box, sofa and lap dance on the opposite side to the exhaust.

Are they wolf man bags jo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe Arsey's Avatar

Quite possibly, but you’re certainly up there in the OAP category-well apart from GrandMaster Flash himself , aka JohnnyHalfEmpty ! :-)

And the 790 will never be your kind of bike,as you like a challenge and need to wrestle a bike into submission.

But for us mere mortals,I think the 790R will be fantastic.
    I used to ride EXCs but the only off-roading I’ve done on a big bike in recent years apart from the 2 day Honda Adventure Course on the AT was when I took my 1290 up the tracks in Potes last year.
    I could have got all the way to the top of the Fuente De cable car but wasn’t sure of the way and ran out of time as it was an early morning solo ride before brek with g/f.But it was starting to get a bit gnarly in places and I was mindful we still had a week left of the trip.

I’m going back with the ATAS this year ,unless I take the 790 but know that I’ll be more comfortable on the ATAS than the 1290 and probably even more able on the 790,what with it’s fantastic low C of G and balance.

Now if only KTM will make a KTM 790R DCT !
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerlust View Post
    The LC is probably one of the highest quality and longest lasting bikes currently on sale today.

Quite possibly, but you’re certainly up there in the OAP category-well apart from GrandMaster Flash himself , aka JohnnyHalfEmpty ! :-)

And the 790 will never be your kind of bike,as you like a challenge and need to wrestle a bike into submission.

But for us mere mortals,I think the 790R will be fantastic.
    I used to ride EXCs but the only off-roading I’ve done on a big bike in recent years apart from the 2 day Honda Adventure Course on the AT was when I took my 1290 up the tracks in Potes last year.
    I could have got all the way to the top of the Fuente De cable car but wasn’t sure of the way and ran out of time as it was an early morning solo ride before brek with g/f.But it was starting to get a bit gnarly in places and I was mindful we still had a week left of the trip.

I’m going back with the ATAS this year ,unless I take the 790 but know that I’ll be more comfortable on the ATAS than the 1290 and probably even more able on the 790,what with it’s fantastic low C of G and balance.

Now if only KTM will make a KTM 790R DCT !
    Only my opinion but I'd hate a 790R DCT. Why? Well my work bike is a Honda NC750 DCT, it's ok but I still prefer the manual bike when doing slow speed manouvering round our congested streets. Same applies to the AT DCT off road, give me clutch control over an auto any day on anything nadgery.

Honda's DCT gear changes are damn smooth but in drive it chugs away and changes gear at very low revs, in sport it's better but it sometimes decides to change gear half way round a greasy wet roundabout, when I'd rather decide when to change gear.

Maybe I'm a luddite, each to their own etc.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe JerseyNeil's Avatar
    It must have shrunk then !!! And changed colour and style !!

A man after my own heart. Nice bikes and a great little hot hatch. Spot on for Guernsey.

Page 57 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast