R1150GS downward gear selection problems

Unbelievably, the bush then gave up its hold using only a socket gently tapped by a ball pein hammer. .

Well that's conformation of the problem. You should be able to push the bush out with your little finger.

You see the gearlever pivots on the bush, not the bolt that secures the gearlever.

Day two of the clean up....as advised, used wet and dry on the bush, and also on the inner surface of both top hats. The odd thing was that the bush could be inserted cleanly almost all the way from the "wrong" direction, but only quarter of an inch from the "right" way. Anyway, all cleaned up lovely, greased and reassembled. Gear lever now swings around the bush like a floppy thing. �� Also cleaned and greased the ball jonts, didn't lose the pingfuckits either. Out for a test run tomorrow. Did I say I changed the gearbox oil as well? Old stuff didn't look bad, but admittedly the new oil was as colourless as water. Onwards and upwards. Here's hoping.

Day two of the clean up....as advised, used wet and dry on the bush, and also on the inner surface of both top hats. The odd thing was that the bush could be inserted cleanly almost all the way from the "wrong" direction, but only quarter of an inch from the "right" way. Anyway, all cleaned up lovely, greased and reassembled. Gear lever now swings around the bush like a floppy thing. �� Also cleaned and greased the ball jonts, didn't lose the pingfuckits either. Out for a test run tomorrow. Did I say I changed the gearbox oil as well? Old stuff didn't look bad, but admittedly the new oil was as colourless as water. Onwards and upwards. Here's hoping.

I'm going to look a right c*nt if it isn't the lever/bush :D

Finally, a spare half hour, and it's a heady 8 degrees C. Everything working perfectly again. Massive thanks to UK Gsers and all who told me what was wrong and how to fix it. Also now got my preloaded luggage fitted and looking fine. Roll on weather good enough to commute between Debenham and Cambridge airport.

Back
Top Bottom