Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip to the borders, looking for advice

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khulu View Post
    If you're coming over for 15 - 21 days then you have plenty of time to tour further afield.
    Scottish highlands NC500 route is just beautiful scenery and riding up through Glencoe to get there is stunning (like the Rockies but smaller and older).
    If you do venture into the Highlands (and really they should not be missed) you're welcome to stay with us en route if it suits us all. I'm 40 minutes east of Inverness but will be riding in mainland Europe late July to mid. August.
    I used to live on the Yellowhead just east of Edmonton and miss your country so much!
    Thanks Khulu- I'll certainly keep that in mind as I do some planning. Back in 2001 I rented a car in Edinburgh and went to Aberdeen and then back through some of the highlands on a day trip. I didn't get to see much and I've always wanted to go back. On this trip there is the small problem that I have to head over to Prague and back for a conference. I haven't quite figured out the times for each leg, but I'll probably take a month off for the total trip.

By the way, you wouldn't have been missing Edmonton last week, it was down to -32C and didn't get above -20 for almost two weeks. A chinook came through here yesterday and it's now up to -2c, but we've got 80-100km/h winds!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by fozbiker View Post
    Thanks Khulu- I'll certainly keep that in mind as I do some planning. Back in 2001 I rented a car in Edinburgh and went to Aberdeen and then back through some of the highlands on a day trip. I didn't get to see much and I've always wanted to go back. On this trip there is the small problem that I have to head over to Prague and back for a conference. I haven't quite figured out the times for each leg, but I'll probably take a month off for the total trip.

By the way, you wouldn't have been missing Edmonton last week, it was down to -32C and didn't get above -20 for almost two weeks. A chinook came through here yesterday and it's now up to -2c, but we've got 80-100km/h winds!
    I loved -20ºC and snow in Alberta - I know it's sad! -40ºC meant my truck had square tyres and I wasn't such a fan of that!

Iconoclast Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by fozbiker View Post
    Hi Schtum! My family name is Forster. My grandfather was born in Newcastleton (Underbournmouth on his birth rego) but his family came from over the river at Stonegarthside.
    So he's likely to have been related to these folks - http://www.192.com/atoz/business/new...69fa1ff13e/ml/

Sero Sed Serio Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hi fozbiker.

Depending on how your itinerary develops, you might want to consider taking the ferry from Newcastle (North Shields) to Amsterdam (Ijmuiden) rather than traveling down to the south coast.

https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/ferry-...rry-to-holland
    I dunno, I think I was off that day.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qjumper View Post
    Hi fozbiker.

Depending on how your itinerary develops, you might want to consider taking the ferry from Newcastle (North Shields) to Amsterdam (Ijmuiden) rather than traveling down to the south coast.

https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/ferry-...rry-to-holland
    Thanks for the info- I didn't know that was an option. I could possibly plan a circular route.

I'll need to pace myself on this trip so as not to wear out my wife! If it goes well I could be back in 2018 for a longer time.

There is also an A. Forster listed on a farm on Google maps. I'll check out the area and possibly roll up and say hello!

Hawick, apparently pronounced Hoyk?

Passed thru Hoyk many times, passed by lovely park and must make more effort myself to visit this.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs..._Scotland.html
    Hoyk resident Steve Hislop will be known and missed by many, tragically losing his life in a helicopter crash and has a statue within the park.

Dukes Pass, the A821 in the Trossachs - East of Stirling/ south of Loch Achray - a little biking gem.

While a nearby hotel at Lake Mentieth is highly recommended.
    http://www.lake-hotel.com/

Rosslyn Chaplel at Roslin (South of Edinburgh) - seen Da vinci code?
    http://www.rosslynchapel.com/about/the-da-vinci-code/

Enjoy planning your trip together, my wife enjoyed those mentioned above too.
    '60 Triumph T110
    '76 Norton Commando
    '94 FZR1000
    '07 Goldwing

he who knows nothing Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    http://www.crownhousebandb.co.uk/

biker friendly b+b , run by pete and sue

in Ford lovely empty roads .

Hi, In addition to Newcastle x Imjuiden you could also take the ferry from Hull to Amsterdam or Zeebrugge. perhaps not as convenient as the Ncle one but gives you more options with this one for an additional payment the ticket is flexible so you can travel earlier or later than your booking without any hassle and you don,t have to travel to the South coast. If you do get to Hawick the Museum in the park has displays for Steve Hislop and also Jimmy Guthrie a world class rider in the 30,s . Both were first class TT riders.
    Look on the internet for Hislops win on the Norton Rotary when he beat Carl Fogarty. A classic race if ever there was one. If you into formula 1 the Jim Clark room in Duns is also worth a visit

rgds Richy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12