STOLEN

His alarm worked though

Yeah and it was ignored by EVERYONE around it, except the owner. If he hadn't been vigilant and spotted the scrotes enroute would he have even recognised his own alarm?

Considering the damage done its probably not worth bothering with the steering lock - one or two hefty kicks and it's defeated anyway.

Considering the damage done its probably not worth bothering with the steering lock - one or two hefty kicks and it's defeated anyway.

One's Insurer may have a different view....they often require it to be locked if not, a financial penalty or refusal to honor a claim may ensue. Check the small print.

It just goes to show.

Insurance companies are thieving twats, but thats ok because there is lots of tax on premiums.
General public are *****, probably more so in foreigner overran london.
There is no deterrent whatsoever to criminals.

One's Insurer may have a different view....they often require it to be locked if not, a financial penalty or refusal to honor a claim may ensue. Check the small print.

True. It's worth looking closely - mine specifies I have to lock it with a sold secure device, presumably because I declared a particular chain when getting a quote. It doesn't mention any theft excess so if I lock it up ANYWHERE without said chain, no payout!

True. It's worth looking closely - mine specifies I have to lock it with a sold secure device, presumably because I declared a particular chain when getting a quote. It doesn't mention any theft excess so if I lock it up ANYWHERE without said chain, no payout!

This is why I never declare additional security devices beyond an alarm if one is fitted. IME they reduce the premium by a very small amount if at all and to my mind only serve to provide the ins co with a get out of jail free card if I don't use it.

How would they know? If the bike is stolen, chances are you won't get it back. If they don't manage to get away on the bike, you won't have to repair the steering lock.

This is why I never declare additional security devices beyond an alarm if one is fitted. IME they reduce the premium by a very small amount if at all and to my mind only serve to provide the ins co with a get out of jail free card if I don't use it.

Same here. When I renewed this time, I asked if having a Roadlok fitted would make a difference (both my bikes have them), and they said it wouldn't make any difference to the premium, but the lock would have to be in use WHENEVER the bike was unattended, be it at home or out and about.

How would they know? If the bike is stolen, chances are you won't get it back. If they don't manage to get away on the bike, you won't have to repair the steering lock.

I agree that the chances of actually getting the bike back are slim at best at which point it doesnt matter, the problem comes if it is recovered or for example CCTV evidence shows it wasnt secured with the steering lock......

1/1000 or more chance I grant, but if your that 1, then you'll be royally peeved if the insurance company refuse the claim or say halve your settlement.
For the few seconds it takes why take the risk? Same as not putting the bike back into a locked garage after a ride. Why chance it?

Very sorry to hear this, glad you caught them in time. Shows they are Cowards really..

Would you have been happier if the 'cowards', instead of scarpering on their scooters, had decided to hang around to lump 10 bells of shit (or worse) out of the puffing 61 year old with his pulled hamstring?

Do not underestimate the scrotes. They run away because they can, because it's easy (why else do they position their easy start mobile scooters as they do) and they know that one lost theft and an avoided fight - which they will in all probability win, despite the hung-ho 'ard men that proliferate on UKGSer's keyboards - will still mean that they'll easily find another bike to nick within an hour or two. In many ways they are cleverer than the average GS'er, stupid enough not to disc lock his bike whilst he wanders 40 meters away around the corner to start his £3 coffee purchase.

Can't help with repairs but you may want to consider better security than just the steering lock.

Where and / or how to get a broken steering lock mended? Use your imagination; it's being imaginative enough in your 'Tool up yer steeds' thread.

Your closing line does have a significant value though; the message is clearly getting through.

I'll give anyone a real life example.... of what really happens.

About two months ago, at around 11 pm a dark black BMW 5 series pulled up outside, rap blaring. In itself not that unusual in the really badlands of London E1. Five minutes later, still there with three or four Bangladeshi lads (aged about 18 to mid-20's) taking a lot of interest in my Bangladeshi neighbour's Golf GTi *. Thinking this odd, I wandered downstairs, opened the front door, walked about five yards towards them and asked "You guys OK?"..... the response was for one of the kids to pull a carving knife I would guess at between eight to 10 inches long from inside his jacket....

Now, I don't know about the 'ard men of UKGSer but I'm not about to find out what a large carving knife does to a bod's guts, so I was quite ready to fuck off as sharply as my slippers would carry me, no car - or steed, no matter how awsome - being worth several gallons of lost claret and hours in the Royal London, Whitechapel .... but, for reasons totally unknown, they got - with a lot of swearing and threats - into the Beemer and hurtled off. I think I was very lucky... as confirmed by plod an hour or so later.

* For the sake of completeness. He works on the railways, his wife's a teacher in the local faith school. They are not in an arranged marriage. She wears a headscarf and trousers (by choice) and they have a young son of now about two, who suffers terribly from eczema, the poor kid. His name is Ibrahim, the Moslem version of the Jewish name, Abraham, as in Lincoln, the US president of some merit. They are not terrorists, nor do they display terrorist sympathies; indeed, quite the reverse. She'd like to ride a motorcycle.

My cousin, a few years ago now sat and watched as 3 guys equipped with a large dog and a baseball bat, lifted his disc locked and chained nearly new ZZR 1100 into the back of a van. Discretion being the better part of valour, he hurled a few mighty insults out the window, told them the police were on their way, (that just made them laugh!) As he said, no bike is worth a battering with a baseball bat and bites from from an effing great dog. This was pre-mobiles with cameras so he was stuffed, the incident took all of 45 seconds, no plates on van. Bike never seen again.....

I'll give anyone a real life example.... of what really happens.

About two months ago, at around 11 pm a dark black BMW 5 series pulled up outside, rap blaring.

These bastards are so crafty.

What chance does a fellow bikermate bod stand when they act so stealthily.

My cousin, a few years ago now sat and watched as 3 guys equipped with a large dog and a baseball bat, lifted his disc locked and chained nearly new ZZR 1100 into the back of a van. Discretion being the better part of valour, he hurled a few mighty insults out the window, told them the police were on their way, (that just made them laugh!) As he said, no bike is worth a battering with a baseball bat and bites from from an effing great dog. This was pre-mobiles with cameras so he was stuffed, the incident took all of 45 seconds, no plates on van. Bike never seen again.....

What cnuts.

He should have squirted them and the feffing dog with a jif lemon squeezer, that would have taught the bastards to mess with a bikermate.

What cnuts.

He should have squirted them and the feffing dog with a jif lemon squeezer, that would have taught the bastards to mess with a bikermate.

I recall that at the time he was so gobsmacked at their utter confidence that he just called the police and hurled abuse (at the same time I recall!!). He thought after ward he should have thrown the TV at them 2nd floor flat so it would have been 'moving some' or anything but he was so stunned and as he said, it was all of 45 seconds from him realising what they were doing to their leaving.

Back
Top Bottom