G650X Generator/Alternator Upgrade

nicholsonj2252

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As F650/G650 GS and Dakar both have : 12 11 7 687 776 GENERATOR 400W
and G650X range all have : 12 31 7 699 394 GENERATOR 280W

Makes me wonder whether you could swap out the 280W version and replace it with a 400W version

Thoughts ?

I've seen it said in a few places but haven't seen anyone reporting of having done it.

I've heard of it having been done, but honestly can't remember when or by who(m) ... but I fully believe that it is possible :thumb

:beerjug:

I might look into this further as you can pick up a second hand stator and rotor for £120 . Guess it will need a different battery and voltage regulator but not sure if anything else would be affected . Certainly the gearwheel and freewheel are the same part numbers

From what I've read the standard voltage regulator can deal with the extra power. No need to change the battery.

I can't see why you'd need a different battery but the regulator/rectifier may be different because it may have more work to do with the higher powered generator.

Doing a bit more digging looks like the way to go is to just upgrade the stator

The F/G 650GS alternator is rated at 400w which is 14v 29A @7500 rpm, ie 29 x 14 = 406 watts

Since it is crankshaft driven the electrosport unit in the link below is stated as giving 300w @ 3500 rpm , so supposedly will give 480w @ 7500

http://www.electrosport.com/street-bikes/bmw/g650x/esg874-bmw-g650.html

It says out of stock but a post on F650.com says if you contact them they will help......I will drop them an email and see what reply I get

Talk about a quick reply !! No messing about from the US supplier ....

"Hello,

We are currently out of stock on that part but are expecting more in about 6 weeks.

Kyle Wood - Sales Manager
-------------------------------------
Procom Engineering / ElectroSport
21 Brookline, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
PH: (949) 305-4200
www.electrosport.com"

GS or Dakar orig equipment
Though I was led to believe it was just the Dakar model that had the 400w stator( happy to be corrected on that detail )
In fairness to the 280watt unit unless you are running halogen aux lights the output is sufficient for most sensible installations
In this day and age why run halogen lights?

Answer back on output :

"I think 480w is too generous, the stator will make more like 450watts peak output.

Kyle Wood - Sales Manager
-------------------------------------
Procom Engineering / ElectroSport
21 Brookline, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
PH: (949) 305-4200
www.electrosport.com"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember reading a report of a guy who fitted the 400w stator from a Dakar/G650GS

He changed the stator and nothing else and had lower output then the standard set up, he ended up changing the flywheel also which cured the problem.

The problem with changing the flywheel is the increased rotating mass - I.e a more tractor like engine

It is also recommended to upgrade the RR if your doing this mod

I'm interested in this electrosport stator, PM me if you want to split shipping and import costs :beerjug:

Xchallenge and ian640 I'll PM you once ElectroSport come back and advise they have stock and confirm price and delivery

nicholsonj2252 - also interested in this upgrade. Could you pls include when you get the info. Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom