Thread: Desert Fox 12v compressor

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Desert Fox 12v compressor

I'm toying with the idea of buying one of these 12v compressors to carry on they bike.

It's from bikegear.co.za

I've found others out there which 'look similar' but don't match up to the spec of this Desert Fox item, which really seems good. Bikegear has kindly gotten back to me with a quote to ship to me in the UK. But when shipping is added, it's all looking a bit pricey.

Is anyone familiar with these particular compressors? I'd be interested in some feedback before i forked out.

Alternatively, anyone commuting to SA that could pick one up for me (for a reward of course)?

Cheers

No one?

Looks like I might just have to take the plunge without any feedback...

It seems a long way to go for a pump. Most of those are the same item dressed up in the vendors own plastic casing. None will work off the BMW standard socket. I've broken out a few and fitted crocodile clips to a lead. They then wrap up very small. There are numerous sellers of pumps out there try eBay or amazon. If you google the item you might get some customer reviews. Personally I would be looking to buy nearer home. JJH

Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    It seems a long way to go for a pump. Most of those are the same item dressed up in the vendors own plastic casing. None will work off the BMW standard socket. I've broken out a few and fitted crocodile clips to a lead. They then wrap up very small. There are numerous sellers of pumps out there try eBay or amazon. If you google the item you might get some customer reviews. Personally I would be looking to buy nearer home. JJH
    This one works off standard BMW plug!
    http://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/d...micro_inflator

i can recomend the one made by ring, if you were to search a couple of my ride reports you will see why, i think i must have used it a couple of dozen times while on holiday and its never let me down. cost as i remember was around £10

Sorry my mistake it is a wilko one that is the same as the earlier ring ones.

http://www.wilko.com/car-care-produc...k/invt/0120244

Quote Originally Posted by ianm00 View Post
    This one works off standard BMW plug!
    http://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/d...micro_inflator
    Interesting. Have you tried one? According to the specs. 4.5 amp to 40 psi. 5 amp trips the bmws fuse. I'll put one on my wants list. JJH

I have one and so far it has worked ok with my R1200GS LC for topping up tyre pressures without any problems.

Ian

That's great. Thanks. Ordering one soon. JJH

Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    That's great. Thanks. Ordering one soon. JJH
    Its actally very good and also very small so keep in topbox on bike. I actually bought mine from http://www.sportouring.co.uk/ slightly better price and I also live close so was able to go and collect it.

Ian

Thanks for the feedback!

JJH. You're probably right, the option from SA is probably a bit over the top.

But the spec is good and the unit seems to be serviceable, which means it should be the last one I buy (famous last words ).

The cheap little units described are, I agree, incredibly cheap for what they are. But they take an age to fill a tyre from zero and I bet they are red hot by the end of it?

But I'm still thinking..