Thinking of buying this K1300S HP - any thoughts?

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After many years faithful service as an instructing bike I am getting shot of my 93 K75S and am looking to replace it with a sports tourer - I have a short list of Kwak Z1000SX, K1300S or a R1200RS.

I spotted this on biketrader, which looks interesting and obviously a bit rare.

Anybody in the collective know anything about the K1300S HP? Anybody ridden one? It has high mileage - is this anything to be concerned about? Any weak points?

The bike is at Craig's Honda in Shipley - I would appreciate anybody who lives in the area going to take a good look at it for me. Check for the usual, any signs of the bike being dropped, any corrosion, find out its history, what is the dealer like to do business with etc?

Linky at Craig's

http://www.craigshonda.com//used/bike/831/650312/2012-12-reg-bmw-k1300s-k1300s-hp.aspx

PS. If anybody is looking for a cheap Winter hack the K75S will be up for sale soon, it is having a new Hall Effect Sensor fitted at the moment and then a fresh MOT.

Hi, I have ridden the K1300S , people rave about them but it didn't happen for me. It was a works bike and had a calamitous failure of the alternator which I believe isn't uncommon. I'm 6'2" tall with arms that trail on the floor and legs to match - I found it a reach to the bats and uncomfortable for a bike sat on all day. Coincidently I live in Baildon about 2 miles from Craig's which is a mile away from Allen Jeffries BMW dealership, they also have an ex Jeffries colleague who works there and will know his BMW's . Happy to look at it for obvs signs of damage or neglect but I'm a pilot not a spanner man beyond basics!
Z1000 SX I have also ridden, they are good prices now and are insanely powerful and comfortable... No knowledge of BMW R1200 Rs but I have had at least 8 BMW Gs and hands down I'd have the Z... Awesome bikes but just my humble opinion, I know there is a lot of love for the K but I don't get it .

Only thing I'd say after watching a feller drop his 1200s numerous times trying to do a u-turn on a course at the Nurburgring (and a 5 or 6 m turning circle will never work for a 4m wide track) is that if you do any tight manoeuvering as an instructor...check that you're happy with its low speed turning ability.

Hi, I have ridden the K1300S , people rave about them but it didn't happen for me. It was a works bike and had a calamitous failure of the alternator which I believe isn't uncommon. I'm 6'2" tall with arms that trail on the floor and legs to match - I found it a reach to the bats and uncomfortable for a bike sat on all day. Coincidently I live in Baildon about 2 miles from Craig's which is a mile away from Allen Jeffries BMW dealership, they also have an ex Jeffries colleague who works there and will know his BMW's . Happy to look at it for obvs signs of damage or neglect but I'm a pilot not a spanner man beyond basics!
Z1000 SX I have also ridden, they are good prices now and are insanely powerful and comfortable... No knowledge of BMW R1200 Rs but I have had at least 8 BMW Gs and hands down I'd have the Z... Awesome bikes but just my humble opinion, I know there is a lot of love for the K but I don't get it .

Thanks for your advice, I would appreciate it if you could take a look at it when you have time.

Only thing I'd say after watching a feller drop his 1200s numerous times trying to do a u-turn on a course at the Nurburgring (and a 5 or 6 m turning circle will never work for a 4m wide track) is that if you do any tight manoeuvering as an instructor...check that you're happy with its low speed turning ability.

Cheers Davey, I only instruct part time now in the Summer and use the GSA for that as it is a piece of piss to do U-turns on it. ;)

Mate of ours has a 1300S...he's about 9 foot tall and regularly takes it off road if that's the way the lead rider goes. On gravel strewn goat tracks that are proper GS territory he's always right with us so they can do nadgery stuff, but to be honest that's as much to do with his ability as a rider rather than the bike being suitable for that type of road.
He loves em but after swapping most of the engine internals trying to get rid of vibration he then had a whole new engine that still didn't cure the problem. He eventually got a good deal on a brand new 1300 and this ones sweet as a nut.

I had three years and 24k miles on a K1200S and had a K1300S as a courtesy bike when my 2009 GS was being serviced.

It's much smoother than the 1200 and very, very fast (it'll be a shock after a K75S :eek:), but there's not much feedback from the Duolever front end.

I found my 1200 comfy solo, but a bit heavy on the wrists two-up on the brakes.

The 2009 GS felt slow and dull after the K, but I don't think I'd have another as the LC boxer engine has enough power for me nowadays. I think I'd buy the R1200RS LC if Inwanted a BMW sports tourer.

Did 25k fast miles on the K1200GT.
Great once you are off the ferry and giving it some.
The gearbox in traffic and knocking around was terrible and the reason i sold it, and it was impossible to sell I had to trade it in.

I had one, it's a posh hyabusa, great tank range if you keep the speed realistic, it was turbine smooth and it was only when you looked down at the speedo you realised your licence is at risk ! it would eat the miles very very quickly however when the straight rds came to an end and its time to play it was hard work and the long wheel base really did show its head however I'm on the small side and I personally think it's more suited to a bigger fella whom can use his body weight, the stock panniers are a little on the small side, the quickshifter is ace, it lacks cruise control tbh not sure why they never fitted cruise it really would benefit the bike, MRA screen with the wing worked the best and i fitted the AC Schnitzer bar conversion.

Great bike and the Hp versions are the ones to buy.

I had a K1200s and two K1300s which were all great. Very fast, stable even at 170+ even two up with luggage. One issue is that it was that stable you didn't appreciate how fast you were going until you looked at the speedo.

I bought a Multistrada on a whim when they first came out and after having a bike which performed like a sports bike but with the high sitting up riding position, I no longer liked the leaning forward riding position of the 1300s.

I sold the last one when it was three years old with 7,000 miles for less than £7k. Something tells me that I'd get more than this for it now.

Regarding quality, apart from the switch gear on the 1300s which was total rubbish, it was superb.

So I've had a look at the K1300 HP at Craig's .... Keith one of the salesmen used to work for Allen Jeffries and this is one of there px. For the mileage the plastics have lasted well and are virtually unmarked. Carbon fibre is all as should be and I couldn't find any fault. The discs all look good however there is a drain plug on the rh side of the engine and there is flakey paint around that and a small amount of bubbling on the rear drive shaft. That said it is very very tidy and the Carbon Akro looks the business although the heat Sheila's could do with coming off and a good clean at the rear of .. I am notoriously anal about my bikes, so much so I have one friend who tells me what they want gives me the budget and I go buy...... The valet showed me the bike , which is in there store , next to a Bimota, R7 and GsXr1100 etc etc and this natty Ducati trike which has just sold for £8,000 .... They have had it a couple of months and would take a bid I'm told. Hope this helps and hope photos land
5cd4829c173c4cd6bc3894761aca14cd.jpg
3e92eb3b4ceb067720083c49fb55f53d.jpg
fd53247640217de0d859ccb06190c94d.jpg
aad7597905f7ae94b0ce2a91613815b3.jpg
103af8e71766fdb040b5c788c6294537.jpg
b6bf9bb5a4f1699a25bca04bbc083723.jpg
0807ce2be55ad4dd9e13247a9b849610.jpg

Not a problem ... Enjoyed it some proper stuff in there too , RG500 R , FZ 600 , CB750 .... Some great stock

For what its worth, my son is on his second 1300S, and loving every minute of it, he does a lot of miles, at 6'2" ish it fits him fine both his been very reliable, for him it was a no brainer as it is the only shaft drive sports, sports/tour bike around.

I had three years and 24k miles on a K1200S and had a K1300S as a courtesy bike when my 2009 GS was being serviced.

It's much smoother than the 1200 and very, very fast (it'll be a shock after a K75S :eek:), but there's not much feedback from the Duolever front end.

I found my 1200 comfy solo, but a bit heavy on the wrists two-up on the brakes.

The 2009 GS felt slow and dull after the K, but I don't think I'd have another as the LC boxer engine has enough power for me nowadays. I think I'd buy the R1200RS LC if Inwanted a BMW sports tourer.

+1 on the above. I would also be slightly put off by 45k miles, although they say the engine per se is quite reliable only let down by peripherals.

Try one for fit. There are dozens around on that price. If I liked it I would then save the special edition and spend the same money on a standard one with less mileage.

Back
Top Bottom