ST1300 Pan European feedback please

Wrigsby1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well here goes again... I am thinking of getting an ST1300 Pan... I presently have a scruffy but good R100GS that is staying and a R100R and K75RT that could stay or go... The R is becoming a garage queen and the K75 is getting a descent amount of use commuting up here in windy Shetland...

I never wanted an 11 Pan... I toyed with the ST1300 but bought a 12RT instead... It was easy and a good overall bike but I was disappointed with the power even after a Hilltop tune, the handling was a bit vague which I didn't expect even though it was a great all year bike... I liked all the practical frills but the fact that I had a repeated prob with front discs and had to keep an eye on the rear diff as I had a leak that I had to fix and the FD reputation is at best, poor...

I do all my own servicing if possible so wasn't enamoured with some of the fiddle of the RT, Canbus and the faffy ABS servicing set up...

I did get a DCT Crosstourer as per the other thread and thought it was a great bike with a top engine... I couldn't quite get comfy though and the tank range with the thirsty engine was a PIA after the 11GS... Also, he says whispering... The DCT was a bit boring... shshhh and the engine braking non existent after big BM twins...

So perhaps an ST13 Pan could be a good mix... Almost totally reliable so it seems... Tons of power and grunt... Full tourer kit... comfy...?

Or are they too heavy and potentially a bit thirsty too... Obviously the tank range is one of the best... I'm 6'5" and always buy bigger screens...:) Are they good for tall blokes and pillions etc...?

All feedback from those in the know is much appreciated...:thumb

Bought mine 5 years ago, almost to the day, care of this very site. Thought I'd try it for a while, but 5 years on its staying a while longer, unless an fjr13 turns up. Yes it's heavy, but the weight disapeers once it gets rolling. Loads of torque from the v4, front gets very light at times!!
Mpg never bothers me, so can't comment really. I know I get less than most, but then I do hustle her along. Tyres don't last me too long either, but then she's two up a lot, and does a fair few miles in Scotland each summer on they're shell gripped sweepers which really knocks them out quick.
As for reliability, yes it's a Honda. The 13 fixed most of the 11's failings. No rotten swing arms, downpipes or alternators to worry about.(although the 3 exhaust clamps rot away, but are easily swapped for stainless ones for less than £10) Some say the carbed 11's engine is smoother, but not having had one I can't compare.
Wind noise is my main complaint. Tried a few different screens and have yet to find the right one.

Has a ST1300 for a year, fantastic bike, couldn't justify having more than one bike at the time, but can now and seriously thinking about another. Like the littledumptruck says reliability is fantastic, none of the rot problems of the 1100 and home servicing is dead easy. The weight was only an issue for me when pushing the thing backwards, so much as a slight incline and I'd have to get off...until I got used to remembering to park it the right (easy) way round :blast

Filtering also good, regularly go into Uxbridge for work which includes about 4 miles of filtering and never got stuck, the mirrors are the widest part of the bike at approx 37 inches (39 if you have the wind deflector kit) but the panniers are only approx 32 inches so if the mirrors got through the rest of the bike will too. I did whack a mirror once they're designed to come off and are held to the bike by a wire which means it doesn't hit the floor and get damaged, nor do you have to stop, go back, find it and refit, they just clip back on.

Littledumptruck, re: your screen - give these guy's a shout, they can custom make you a screen for the ST any shape/size, I've had 3 screens for the ST from them, they made me a 12 inch screen for summer use, brilliant: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/slipscreenslimited?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Thanks guys... much as I expected and valuable feedback... I used to sell BM's of the 1150 era and liked the RT... It was a good package but was being heavily challenged by the ST1300... I knew a couple of folk who swore by the ST11 and had 200k miles+ between them but couldn't get on with one... I had a sit on a ST13 and was pleasantly surprised by the position but wen for the RT instead... It was two up touring that left it a bit wheezy and that was a disappointment...

The ST13 seems to still tick many of the boxes and they are now about at £3k+ prices and with tons to pick from... I feel a plan coming on...:thumb

Just a note on the reliability. Altanators give expensive trouble on the st 1300 with big mileage done. JJH

Brilliant bike, I only got rid of mine because I was going to Canada...And because I valued my licence, 125 everywhere, munched miles like they were not there, good touring machine and then some.....Nothing I have had since has come close to munching the miles with consummate ease.

I ride one for work, probably done 35k miles on the ST1300 over the last few years. Admittedly mainly in town but I've ridden to Germany and back as well. As previously mentioned they are super easy to trickle through traffic but a pig to push around. We run a fleet of 20 Pans and they get a hard life. Clutches tend to start slipping around the 10k mile mark and most have had their alternator replaced (it's sited between the cylinders and overheats due to riding in heavy traffic in high temps), apart from that they have proved very reliable.
They can be hustled around quite easily but they will drink fuel if you do. I like the riding position but the seat is uncomfortable after a few hours. As a tool for work it's a great bike but though I have considered it I wouldn't buy one. For a start I hate the bloody whining noise they make:D They also lack soul (you could argue most Honda's do) which for me, is an important part of owning a motorcycle. I'd take an RT any day over a pan, especially if 2 up and the latest LC RT is light years better than the Honda and really shows up the Honda's age. And every 1300 I've ridden that is carrying luggage and a top box has had a weave between 80-100mph, it's predictable and you get used to it, but it's there.

Having said all that, we are about to start replacing our Pans with the new RT and I think we will come to regret it, as a workhorse the Honda will be hard to beat and it certainly carries far more kit than the BMW will be able to.

So, they're not for me but that doesn't mean they're not a great bike, reliable, fast enough, handle better than than look like they should and with good build quality, and you've already made your mind up that you want one:D

I ride one for work, probably done 35k miles on the ST1300 over the last few years. Admittedly mainly in town but I've ridden to Germany and back as well. As previously mentioned they are super easy to trickle through traffic but a pig to push around. We run a fleet of 20 Pans and they get a hard life. Clutches tend to start slipping around the 10k mile mark and most have had their alternator replaced (it's sited between the cylinders and overheats due to riding in heavy traffic in high temps), apart from that they have proved very reliable.
They can be hustled around quite easily but they will drink fuel if you do. I like the riding position but the seat is uncomfortable after a few hours. As a tool for work it's a great bike but though I have considered it I wouldn't buy one. For a start I hate the bloody whining noise they make:D They also lack soul (you could argue most Honda's do) which for me, is an important part of owning a motorcycle. I'd take an RT any day over a pan, especially if 2 up and the latest LC RT is light years better than the Honda and really shows up the Honda's age. And every 1300 I've ridden that is carrying luggage and a top box has had a weave between 80-100mph, it's predictable and you get used to it, but it's there.

Having said all that, we are about to start replacing our Pans with the new RT and I think we will come to regret it, as a workhorse the Honda will be hard to beat and it certainly carries far more kit than the BMW will be able to.

So, they're not for me but that doesn't mean they're not a great bike, reliable, fast enough, handle better than than look like they should and with good build quality, and you've already made your mind up that you want one:D

Ha ha... I might or might not have made my mind up...:) "The weave" obviously gets a mention or two and some of your feedback is helpful in giving some negatives as we don't want a love in...:D

The new RT LC obviously is the latest and greatest but I buy for cash and don't do credit and also like to keep away from the dealer umbilical chord so necessary on the latest bikes... My Crosstourer DCT had pages and pages in the workshop manual for the fault codes that the DCT system could throw up...! And I even grew tired of the uneven tickover on my 12RT that needed a GS911 or dealer to reset as there was no manual adjustment...

The Crosstourer was a bit "boring Honda" so you may be spot on... I'll have to find another 13Pan to sit on and make "brummm, brummm" noises...:D

I have had 3 pans
1st 1100 one ,an ok bike
Second 2 St 1300,s bought new ,ran about 35 k onto both of them,NEVER missed a beat or had any troubles at all ( 1 headlight bulb)
Fast ,reliable and handle remarkably well :thumb2 always ran mine on Bridgestone 020 tyres , capable of incredible lean angle if the occasion requires:eek:
Only gave up and went onto dual sport bikes as I have been riding in lots of bits o seas with no Tarmac.
Would not hesitate to get another in due course , I personally never encountered any weaving. Bikes were ridden hard at times solo, 2up, light and with full load .
:thumb2

Iv owned two st1100 and two st1300s i prefered the 1100 and as said they are bland and uninspiring to ride but great at what they are for just doing big miles, i prefered my GTR1400 had great pace looked better and was more fun to ride.....imo

Brilliant bike, I only got rid of mine because I was going to Canada...And because I valued my licence, 125 everywhere, munched miles like they were not there, good touring machine and then some.....Nothing I have had since has come close to munching the miles with consummate ease.

Another plus point - low seat :thumb2

Ive had both the 1100 and recently the 1300 and enjoyed both. The 13 was good fun, fast and easy to scrape your pegs while munching miles but, at 6'3" just too low to be really comfortable.
I've just swapped it for 13plate GSA and it is easily the most comfy bike I've ever ridden.
You're even taller than me so I would advise a good long test ride (couple of hours at least) before you commit. I'm so glad I swapped even though I liked the Pan, the GSA feels like it was built just for me.

Ive had both the 1100 and recently the 1300 and enjoyed both. The 13 was good fun, fast and easy to scrape your pegs while munching miles but, at 6'3" just too low to be really comfortable.
I've just swapped it for 13plate GSA and it is easily the most comfy bike I've ever ridden.
You're even taller than me so I would advise a good long test ride (couple of hours at least) before you commit. I'm so glad I swapped even though I liked the Pan, the GSA feels like it was built just for me.

Yep... Thanks for that... I have had a sit on one recently and was taken back to the R12RT fairly tight seat to peg distance... Also Pans seem a bit more of a fiddle to move the bars back on... My old R11GS fits like a glove and every time I ride it I remember why I still have it and have bought and sold plenty of bikes around it... Also my K75RT is growing on me as I use it in the winter and I have modded it to fit better for nothing... And TBH there is only so much speed you need most of the time... Lastly a look around an old K always reminds you of how well made they were and either of these bikes I could fix most things by memory...

We shall see or whether it was just a bit too much Xmas time on the net...:)

Oh, and my old Airhead is appreciating... ha ha...

I've had both 11 and 13 incarnations. The 11 is really well put together, paint is deep and reliability excellent. People get scared of the swing arm but it only takes an hour or so to get out if there's a problem. I had mine out on the way to the alternator, which failed st 80k miles. Replaced the alternator and got the swing arm shot blasted, with a small weld from a mate all good.
The 13 is probably a better bike, it's a more comfy position for me and my wife says it's really good for her too, to the point that I've heard her snoring over the Bluetooth on longer motorway stretches in Europe! Reliability has been first rate 50k miles in and no issues at all. Basic servicing is really easy and even the valve clearances are pretty straightforward, as the cylinders stick out and access is easy.
I do understand that folks find the pan a little bland. My take on this is that for the money you're struggle to find anything so capable of long distance touring with no fuss, just press the button in the morning and it'll take you anywhere in comfort. Our record for a summer tour is 5700 miles, each morning when I thumbed the starter bottom and the bike started immediately and warmed up on the kerb, I never ever thought 'How bland'

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

I've always wanted an ST1300 but they were crazy at holding their price when I was looking, even though they look very dated in the dash now... I went for a GTR1400 a couple of years ago instead of a Pan as you get much more for your money on the kwak, IMO. Sold the GTR1400 about 8 months ago along with my F8000GS and bought a 2014 R1200GSA LC but I still want to scratch that Pan European ST1300 itch. Maybe I'll get one as my winter hack in December. They ride great, never experienced the infamous 'weave' on the test rides I've been on. I like the whine of the v4.

Some reflections on my recent 1300, having had two 1100s. I like it. It's a slightly more sporty position, the adjustable screen gives me just the protection I want, and the whole bike feels much more agile on the road.

During my GS1150 rebuild, things seemed to follow the rules: think I've got a problem, investigate, two things break while I'm investigating, and the problem I find problem is bigger than I thought. I was kind of expecting the same rules to apply with the Honda, but so far it's "think I've got a problem ..... nah it's fine". Quite enjoying that boring characteristic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leg room. I'm 5'10" with a 32 inside leg. 11 and 13 both too short in the knee department especially the left leg.

Other than that both are great bikes as already said above. 13 is heavy to move about. But once moving, even very slowly the balance is almost unrivaled. In town it floats out on the road it flies.

Great bike, just not enough knee space for me.

Val.

Leg room. I'm 5'10" with a 32 inside leg. 11 and 13 both too short in the knee department especially the left leg.

Other than that both are great bikes as already said above. 13 is heavy to move about. But once moving, even very slowly the balance is almost unrivaled. In town it floats out on the road it flies.

Great bike, just not enough knee space for me.

Val.

I've also a 32" inseam and didn't find the legroom a problem, not as much room as the GS, but I didn't suffer even on a one hit 10 hour trip to the Highlands, we all find these these little differences don't we. Bloke across the road from me is about 6'4" and rides a Fireblade, how in God's name he manages that I don't know, but he's away half the weekends in a year with his power ranger mates all packed up to the gunnels and loves it, 5 mins on a sports bike and my wrists are killing me and my knees feel like they're around my ears :D

I'm also thinking about getting another one, just need to get my head around justifying two bikes, otherwise it'll a hard choice GS vs ST :confused:

No one has mentioned that you can bin your overtrousers as the weather protection is so good.

They are great bikes, just a little old fashioned nowadays

Back
Top Bottom