Ullapool : the north west gathering. September 2017

Sorry I wasn't there as per the other years but I am over in Greece with the parrafin pony having to put up with stuff like this :augie

Wow! That sky reminds me of my trip to Norway three years ago! :D

Not quite as warm in Ullapool right enough Symon!

Have to say Lads, the south end of Greece (Peloponese ) is a fantastic place to ride :thumb2
Got to keep your wits about you as the driving style is quite quite different from Northern Europe behaviour . BUT what seems initially scary and dangerous become the norm quite quickly ,and makes it quite quite fun at bits .
Road surfaces in places are the poorest for grip I have ever encountered on my travels . We have one casualty so far with a broken leg due to the front washing at low speed on a very shiny hairpin ( An experienced guy , that I rated as being quite good :() You do not want to crash here as is now becoming apparent that the health care is about non existent /crap :mad: (even with insurance)
Anyhoo, 275 M tomorrow up to Iguomenitsa for the o/night ferry to Ancona Italy then North for the rain :thumb2

Back in Shetland and some photos

Well, here's me back in Shetland after a fantastic week "South". It was a pleasure to meet everyone in Ullapool and put some faces to names. Despite the slightly dodgy weather, I had a great run there and thoroughly enjoyed our bimble on Saturday. I must say, I was glad I wasn't camping though!

By Sunday the weather had much improved and I continued my trip to Applecross, then over the Bealach-na-ba and on to Ardnamurchan (I can recommend the Ardnamurchan Bunkhouse in Glenborrodale - single en-suite room for under £40 - and the Heritage Centre about 1 1/2 miles down the road for food). From there I made my way back east via a small detour on the B8043. This little gem of a road was recommended to me by an Irishman I met first in Ullapool and again in Ardnamurchan. It's south-west of the Corran ferry and goes through the Kingairloch Estate, winding its way through a little glen and then along the shore of Loch Linnhe. From there it was on to Blairgowrie for one more night and yesterday was spent exploring the Angus Glens on the way back to Aberdeen.

Overall, I think I was luckier than most in that I seemed to miss most of the heavy rain, even yesterday only about 40 mins along South Deeside were truly miserable.

Here are some photos:
1 Myself, Wrinkly Owlie and Scotboxer on the Wee Mad Road to Inverkirkaig and Lochinver (first time the sun came out, hence the big smiles!)
2 The view from Applecross
2 On top of the Bealach-na-ba

Some more photos

And a few more:

1 Adnamurchan lighthouse
2 View of Rhum and Ardnamurchan forghorn
3 On the B8043

Smiling? Me? I look more like an escapee from an Amish community Birgit! Great photos though and good to meet you. The weather improved a lot on the west coast it seems. Well that was guaranteed once I decided to head for home rather than stick to the plan and go to Mull! Typical!

The B8043 is a lovely road right enough with cracking views over the lochs to Ardnamurchan and Lochaber. Was on it last year and came round a corner to find a timber lorry motoring towards the same bit of road! Aaaaaargh! We both stopped with me teetering on the crumbly verge right next to his rear wheel. Glad your birl was less eventful!

For those who missed Ullapool (aka "lightweights" :D) : pour yourself a dram and have a watch of this ... Grand Tours of Scotland's Lochs, Series 1: 5. A Rock and a Hard Place: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b096v0gj via @bbciplayer

Note that the pie consumer adopts the traditional approach to said comestibles. :augie

My contribution ...

All self explanatory methinks ;)

Mr K and Jonathan Livingstone Seagull :D

i-TKDDtBb-L.jpg

i-XPHQ5qP-L.jpg

i-K3p9xh8-L.jpg

i-ZRSkrhr-L.jpg

i-7qQZSbq-L.jpg

i-nBwjgKs-L.jpg

i-ncJpwBN-L.jpg

i-NNtkLdw-L.jpg

i-Lz7t3Z4-L.jpg

i-8vnmjSM-L.jpg

i-WXxtrkc-L.jpg

i-k9qMWsz-L.jpg

i-2c6tCJJ-L.jpg

Peter's contribution, on departing, to the Micky Drinks Cabinet ... thank you Peter :thumb

i-B7rgCJd-L.jpg

When I left Ullapool on the Monday morning, after everyone else had left, I went up to Sango Bay, Durness, via 'The Wee Mad Road' (interesting in a VW Camper van) and called in at the pie shop at Lochinver .... two pork pies and an apple and redcurrent :drool

i-xhBLC28-L.jpg

That's all folks ... thanks for a great weekend :thumby:

:beerjug:

Indeed Jay. i was referring to outward appearance rather than internal workings. My internals remain untouched by human hands! So far ... :D

For those who missed Ullapool (aka "lightweights" :D) : pour yourself a dram and have a watch of this ... Grand Tours of Scotland's Lochs, Series 1: 5. A Rock and a Hard Place: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b096v0gj via @bbciplayer

Note that the pie consumer adopts the traditional approach to said comestibles. :augie

Thanks for that, I watched it last night! :thumby:

My favourite part of Scotland & walked most of it including Suilven, which I approached from Inverkirkaig rather than Lochinver.
Took me 10 hours and I didn't hang about.

Back
Top Bottom