Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ducati MHR

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Ducati MHR

Picked up this 79 Mike Hailwood Replica over Christmas.

Needs some tidying up

Lovely lovely thing.

Lovely and so so

What needs doing ??.......I'm just nosey.....

WOW thing of beauty

Lucky Boy!!

'Don't mess with me' Member
    With a GS battery it fits right on here!

(Welcome back!)
    Thomas! There's a mouse duck in the house!

I was quite fortunate to pick this bike up off a really nice old chap who had kept it for 20 years. Now too old to ride or start it

It has on;y done 600 miles since a full engine rebuild.

A few parts have been replaced over the years often with newer series bits.

The bike is an early series 2 frame number 900210

The following need replacement to get back to original:

One piece fairing. The fairing fitted is part of a series 3
    The wheels are mis matched, rear a campagnolo, front fps. Both should be campagnolo
    Brake calipers should be brembo goldline
    Headlight is a bosche should be cev

My plan is to replace the non standard parts, but not to do a nut and bolt re store

A couple of non standard mods which I will keep are hydraulic clutch conversion (the original parts came in a box) and side stand.

This is for riding not showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Masters View Post
    With a GS battery it fits right on here!

(Welcome back!)

I remember when they were knocking them out for £3995 in MCN
    2016 BMW R1200 GS Triple Black
    2017 BMW R Nine-T Scrambler X
    1996 BMW R80 GS Basic
    1962 BSA Gold Flash
    1980 Kawasaki Z1300
    2002 Triumph Bonneville (Desert Sled)
    2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)
    2001 Yamaha T-Max Mk1
    1979 Yamaha XT500

3995 in 1979. Now equates to 15,500

I paid 10k for the bike.

It would cost me about 5k to get it back to original mint condition

Lovely bike

Can you get the front wheel and the one piece fairing? I'd be guessing that it's had a fairly hefty front end smash at some point but as long as the frame is straight and you've got the patience to wait for the parts you need to appear that's not going to matter. I've got a Montjuic with MKII bodywork on it because the original MKI parts were destroyed in a crash and replacements were unavailable but I don't let it worry me.

Good luck with it and get out on the road as soon as they get rid of the salt in the spring.

Lovely old bike - a bit of a beast to start, from my recollection.

I ran one back in the late 1980's, bought it from a guy in N.London. It was an early build & the first owner had the engine tuned up by Sports Motorcycles, so she went pretty well, in a straight line. I guess I should have kept it, but she was pretty service hungry & the temptations of a Fireblade Urban Street Tiger came along in 1994. Hey Ho. (Reg JPA385V - probably still out there somewhere).

From memory, the issues, aside from getting the starting proceedure right, were: -

Brakes - rear far too powerful, adjust the lever to drop the biting point. Front - very wooden feel with OE Brembo callipers & braided lines on mine, so not suprised they have been changed. The master is probably due a rebuild at this age too.

Rear Cush Drive - had a habit of disintegrating. May have been converted already.

Fairing - mine was a one piece. PITA to remove without help. Frail thing once off the mounts. Screen had a habit of cracking. Hence the split fairing was introduced.

Handling - if you are coming off a modern sports bike, adjust your expectations right now. Remember bikes that stood up on the brakes? Get the braking done when upright, enter a bend at a sensible pace & power out. Ignore this & you will have the pleasure of calming a 'tank slapper' if you are feeling lucky.

Engine - apart from the challenge of adjusting the desmo valve gear, the crank can collect sludge over time, so the motor needs regular oil changes & a full rebuild about every 25k. Looks like this has been done here, hopefully by a marque expert.

Altogther a thing of beauty though; those megas produce some great noise - tuck down behind the fairing & enjoy.

...................... KEN

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB_11 View Post
    Lovely bike

Can you get the front wheel and the one piece fairing? I'd be guessing that it's had a fairly hefty front end smash at some point but as long as the frame is straight and you've got the patience to wait for the parts you need to appear that's not going to matter. I've got a Montjuic with MKII bodywork on it because the original MKI parts were destroyed in a crash and replacements were unavailable but I don't let it worry me.

Good luck with it and get out on the road as soon as they get rid of the salt in the spring.
    Already got these babies on the way from Belgium

That's a nice bike. I saw the original, with Mike on it, and that one certainly went well.

A mate had a MHR in the early 80's , wheel mismatch may be due to the earlier Campagnolo wheels having a problem with cracking , with regards to the fairing I'm sure he changed his because you couldn't check or top up the oil without full fairing removal on the one piece item.

A lovely classic and better than money in the bank

Correct fairing, seat and brakes fitted

Much better
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast