Let's see what all the fuss is about............

Well the infatuation lasted for 9 months.

I normally keep bikes for years and this thing was holy sheeeeet fast which, as you might imagine is very intoxicating.

It can also bimble along very efficiently and pleasantly but when I wasn't using the opportunities afforded by the vast performance reserves I always felt as if I should be doing so.

It's as much about me and my character flaws in that quite a lot of the time I just want to get on with my ride without the perceived (to me) pressure to chase every miscreant that fancied having a crack and in addition I had a shopping list of stuff to turn the bike into a sort of monster minimalist sports tourer before I woke up to the reality that I really don't want or need that sorta pressure any more, I just like using a decent bike to enjoy my little adventures.

It's fair to say I've had a bit of a mental tussle (first world problem I know) and the end result is that my TC ADV stays (brilliant bike IMHO) and the Katoom goes to be replaced by a light, middleweight, lower powered, more stress free, fun, solo oriented sports tourer Tracer 700.

I'm glad I had a crack it was a blast but time to move on.

I know what you mean about temptation but I just can't imaging getting rid of my Superduke, if I only ever rode solo I'd only own one modern bike and this would be it :)

Dave

I know what you mean about temptation but I just can't imaging getting rid of my Superduke, if I only ever rode solo I'd only own one modern bike and this would be it :)

Dave

An absolutely amazing machine of that there is no doubt, truly stunning performance, makes my old Busa look like a milk float it really does.

I can understand your passion I really can it's an amazing machine.

I hope you carry on enjoying, I'm sure you will but in the end it, for me, it was time to move onto something I can just get on and ride without all the (no doubt) 'me' generated pressure to live up to the image.

At my age I should really know better but hey ho you know how it goes:D

An absolutely amazing machine of that there is no doubt, truly stunning performance, makes my old Busa look like a milk float it really does.

I can understand your passion I really can it's an amazing machine.

I hope you carry on enjoying, I'm sure you will but in the end it, for me, it was time to move onto something I can just get on and ride without all the (no doubt) 'me' generated pressure to live up to the image.

At my age I should really know better but hey ho you know how it goes:D

I do indeed

Dave

What you need is the 1290S, all the comfort and practicality of a GS, but with performance very close to the Superduke - but without the obligation to chase every sportsbike owner you come across.

I find even the latest GS very bland by comparison to my 1190, less power everywhere in the rev range and with a huge flat spot, even the latest semi active GS suspension does not feel anywhere near as nice as the 1190's conventional stuff (apart from the telelever lack of dive) overall it felt more like going for a drive in my Astra Diesel than riding a motorcycle.

The 1290S is generally an improvement in every area and makes the GS feel even more obsolete and last century.

What you need is the 1290S, all the comfort and practicality of a GS, but with performance very close to the Superduke - but without the obligation to chase every sportsbike owner you come across.

I’d go with that. Plus you can go down roads on the S that would be painful on a Superduke.

In the real world, I’d go so far as to say that the S is as fast as the SD, as you can maintain higher speeds for longer (unless you’ve got a neck like Arnie!), but unlike the SD, it doesn’t taunt you into riding like a lunatic the whole time.

I’d go with that. Plus you can go down roads on the S that would be painful on a Superduke.

In the real world, I’d go so far as to say that the S is as fast as the SD, as you can maintain higher speeds for longer (unless you’ve got a neck like Arnie!), but unlike the SD, it doesn’t taunt you into riding like a lunatic the whole time.

Mmmmmmmm............I get where you're coming from but have to disagree.

Having swapped my 1190R with Melch's old SDR for the best part of a day on bumpy French back roads I found the SDR eminently comfortable, no different to my my bike if I'm honest.

Also, whilst the 1190R might have very good suspension (and mine's been MCT'd to boot) the SDR is in a different league all together. Really smooth, compliant and comfy yet never gets out of shape. Far better than my R's suspension on the road.

Real world performance ~ you can't be serious, The SDR is on another planet compared to the 1190. I had to keep slowing down waiting for Melch to catch me up (and visa versa when back on our own bikes).

All day comfort at speed? Again, the SDR has a little screen just like my R and TBH I found it no worse sitting at constant three figure speeds? If that's still a problem other screens are available.

If I didn't want a bike capable of serious off road and carrying a passenger on long trips I'd have an SD in a heart beat.

Andres

Having swapped my 1190R with Melch's old SDR for the best part of a day on bumpy French back roads I found the SDR eminently comfortable, no different to my my bike if I'm honest.

Also, whilst the 1190R might have very good suspension (and mine's been MCT'd to boot) the SDR is in a different league all together. Really smooth, compliant and comfy yet never gets out of shape. Far better than my R's suspension on the road.

Real world performance ~ you can't be serious, The SDR is on another planet compared to the 1190. I had to keep slowing down waiting for Melch to catch me up (and visa versa when back on our own bikes).

All day comfort at speed? Again, the SDR has a little screen just like my R and TBH I found it no worse sitting at constant three figure speeds? If that's still a problem other screens are available.

If I didn't want a bike capable of serious off road and carrying a passenger on long trips I'd have an SD in a heart beat.

Andres

But I'm talking about the 1290S not the 1190R. I'm sure that the SDR is comfortable for a few hours, but for me personally, the higher riding position, electronic suspension, and bigger screen of the S (I run the 1290R screen with MRA spoiler) make for a much more comfortable ride, that I can maintain decent speeds all day on. Could you honestly say that you could ride an SDR at triple figures all day long? If so, fair play to you, as I doubt many here can.

Re real world performance, this is due to my points above. For me, a naked bike with firmer suspension is harder to ride faster for long periods of time (my S1000R was painful; maybe the SDR is completely different?) than my 1290S, so as I won't need to stop as much on the S, the SDR wouldn't be any quicker, for me (and many others on here with all their creaking joints :D), over the course of a day.

I'm actually in agreement with Andres/Otto on the SDR.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my 1190S and love my 1290S even more plus it works better for me all round than the SDR. I've had the absolute pleasure of riding a couple of SDR's and what a tool. Significantly quicker on the road than the S.

The SDR feels and looks so small, like a 250, yet still surprisingly comfortable for my 6' 2" frame. I'd have one if I could afford yet another bike, as it's crackers and real fun. Much better than the 1290GT which didn't work for due to my long legs not fitting in the tank cut outs.

Overall though I'll stick with the 1290S as it is comfier all day and better weather protection as well, but i'm still stunned at how good the SDR is even for my creaky joints.

But I'm talking about the 1290S not the 1190R.

Yeah I know you were but, if anything, the R should be more comfy than the S (wider bars, better and longer travel suspension) and we've already asertained that the 1190 puts out more power than the 1290 in it's Adv Euro4 tune ;)

I'm sure that the SDR is comfortable for a few hours, but for me personally, the higher riding position, electronic suspension, and bigger screen of the S (I run the 1290R screen with MRA spoiler) make for a much more comfortable ride, that I can maintain decent speeds all day on. Could you honestly say that you could ride an SDR at triple figures all day long? If so, fair play to you, as I doubt many here can.

Re real world performance, this is due to my points above. For me, a naked bike with firmer suspension is harder to ride faster for long periods of time (my S1000R was painful; maybe the SDR is completely different?) than my 1290S, so as I won't need to stop as much on the S, the SDR wouldn't be any quicker, for me (and many others on here with all their creaking joints :D), over the course of a day.

Ha ha, I'll raise your bad back by an artificial leg, shattered and glued back together pelvis, misshaped femur from a bad break, pinned shin bone and a total hip replacement :p

Trust me, the SD is a very comfy bike and the suspension is sublime. Firm does NOT equal crashy or uncomfortable if it's good kit. The SD uses good kit :)

Andres

I could happily live with a SDR as an everyday bike
I ride on quite regularly ( My mate has one) and it's suspension is superb and the bike is very comfy for a naked.

I nearly bought one, the only thing that stopped me are the stupid speeds it achieves which is even more stupid than the XR was and i was wanting to get away from that hence the Hypermotard which is just so much fun without being loony

Being over 6 foot with long legs I would find the SDR too cramped, plus with the Adventure I can easily stand up here and there to further reduce leg cramp....

...plus if it really does make you ride faster then that is another problem I do not need, I struggle to keep the 1190 under control in that regard.

Yeah I know you were but, if anything, the R should be more comfy than the S (wider bars, better and longer travel suspension) and we've already asertained that the 1190 puts out more power than the 1290 in it's Adv Euro4 tune ;)

Ha ha, I'll raise your bad back by an artificial leg, shattered and glued back together pelvis, misshaped femur from a bad break, pinned shin bone and a total hip replacement :p

Trust me, the SD is a very comfy bike and the suspension is sublime. Firm does NOT equal crashy or uncomfortable if it's good kit. The SD uses good kit :)

Andres

Ok, you’ve beaten me on the injury stakes!:D

Maybe I’ll see if I can get a ride on an SDR and see how they compare. I’ve not ridden one, but as it’s a rival to the S1000R, I’m assuming that it’ll be as harsh; it sounds like I could be wrong.

My bike is going in tomorrow for a few days, and they’re lending me a 1090, but maybe I’ll see if they’ve got an SDR they don’t need for a while. My back is not in a good place at the moment, but if you say the suspension on this is good, I’ll give it a whirl.:thumb

But I'm talking about the 1290S not the 1190R. I'm sure that the SDR is comfortable for a few hours, but for me personally, the higher riding position, electronic suspension, and bigger screen of the S (I run the 1290R screen with MRA spoiler) make for a much more comfortable ride, that I can maintain decent speeds all day on. Could you honestly say that you could ride an SDR at triple figures all day long? If so, fair play to you, as I doubt many here can..

Oh come on now, three figures all day long, get real. Stop standing with your legs so far apart and your hands on your hips. :D

The SDR is a more extreme riding position than an Adventure bike although nothing like a sports bike position. The limiting factor for me was an arthritic knee. The suspension and handling though is sublime (once set up). As the chap at the suspension set up place said "If you think you've over cooked it on a corner, just stuff it down lower, believe me the suspension and tyres will handle it. He was right. Far more of a bike than I am a rider.

Of course it will be more taught than an adventure bike with it's long travel suspension. It has a 17" front wheel and suspension that is set up for the road and not a do it all compromise.

Andres

That's pretty much bang on. I only really ride my 1190 if I'm two up.

Dave

But I'm talking about the 1290S not the 1190R. I'm sure that the SDR is comfortable for a few hours, but for me personally, the higher riding position, electronic suspension, and bigger screen of the S (I run the 1290R screen with MRA spoiler) make for a much more comfortable ride, that I can maintain decent speeds all day on. Could you honestly say that you could ride an SDR at triple figures all day long? If so, fair play to you, as I doubt many here can.

I have a 1290 SDR and an 1190 Adventure I've also ridden a 1290 S, the 1290 SDR handles better and has way more poke than either the 1190 or 1290 Adventures. That said the 1290 I rode handled better then my 1190 and I initially put that down to the lower unsprung weight but my 1190 needed a new pair of tyres so I fitted a pair of Scorpions as fitted to the 1290) and that pretty much evened things out.

So for me for one up the SDR suits me down to the ground and for two up I'm more than happy with my 1190 and having tried a 1290 I don't feel the need to splash out a load of cash to change.

Nutty, next time you're near a dealer give a Superduke a go :thumb

Dave

I found the 1290S Adventure quite harsh and crashy back-to-back against my 1190, admittedly it had a lot less fork dive, but with all the electro-wizadry I was hoping it would have been better on all surfaces than my conventional 1190 springy bits, instead it just feels as if it is setup to be a tall sports-bike with stiffr springs and firmer damping than the 1190, even in "comfort" mode it felt pretty harsh....

...Although I suspect it might soften a bit in the first few thousand miles as my 1190 did, what is annoying to me is the lack of difference between the settings, it seems like on a scale of 1 - 10 from soft to hard the 1190 has settings of 6,7,8 and the 1290 is more like 7,8,9 - ie the softest 1290 setting is about on par with the middle 1190 setting.

It would also be a lot better if you could also customize the standard settings (like you can with many other bikes) as not every rider is exactly the same weight and has exactly the same preferences as the KTM test rider who obviously did all of his work on a race track and the smoothest of Austrian roads.

I found the 1290S Adventure quite harsh and crashy back-to-back against my 1190, admittedly it had a lot less fork dive, but with all the electro-wizadry I was hoping it would have been better on all surfaces than my conventional 1190 springy bits, instead it just feels as if it is setup to be a tall sports-bike with stiffr springs and firmer damping than the 1190, even in "comfort" mode it felt pretty harsh....

...Although I suspect it might soften a bit in the first few thousand miles as my 1190 did, what is annoying to me is the lack of difference between the settings, it seems like on a scale of 1 - 10 from soft to hard the 1190 has settings of 6,7,8 and the 1290 is more like 7,8,9 - ie the softest 1290 setting is about on par with the middle 1190 setting.

It would also be a lot better if you could also customize the standard settings (like you can with many other bikes) as not every rider is exactly the same weight and has exactly the same preferences as the KTM test rider who obviously did all of his work on a race track and the smoothest of Austrian roads.

How long did you ride one for? I've done nearly 6k on mine now, and can honestly say that it's the most comfortable bike I've owned. It certainly isn't firm all of the time, and there's a noticeable difference between suspension modes.

And KTM can set the electronic suspension up according to the riders weight, apparently.

And KTM can set the electronic suspension up according to the riders weight, apparently.

They can only tweak the compression and rebound. ultimately it is the spring that needs doing if not of "within tolerance"weight

I think that most manufacturers spring their bikes to a rider weight of about 90KG including the riding kit so lightweights like me really need a lighter spring and tosser sized riders need heavier for perfection.

I have read that KTM dealers can set the initial pre load on the spring on some of the electronically suspended bikes. Good luck finding one who knows how to do it though.

redbrick is right though. It's the spring that needs changing to suit weight.

How long did you ride one for? I've done nearly 6k on mine now, and can honestly say that it's the most comfortable bike I've owned. It certainly isn't firm all of the time, and there's a noticeable difference between suspension modes.

Nutty, if you do need yours set up, I can recommend these chaps:

https://md-racing.co.uk

They do a lot of Ducatis but one of their fellas is an ex KTM mechanic. Very friendly, helpful and knowledgable. They know their way around suspension. Based in Walton on Thames.

Back
Top Bottom