Heated clothing - Gerbing or Keis?

Before you buy the heated trousers, I find my legs stay warm enough - core temperature is kept up by the waistcoat so warm blood goes into my legs, the insoles keep my feet warm and top up the temperature before the blood returns to the core. If you ride a boxer then your shins are getting warmed by the cylinders as well.

. +1

I used to have a vest many moons ago on my Divvy 600. 90,000 miles of commuting to London (no heated grips!). Got rid of the vest when I got the Pan European as wind chill vanished behind the huge screen & fairing.

Now I'm unfaired again (F650GS) I've gone for a heated jacket & very nice it is too!! Thin top, heated jacket & outer jacket. I've not gone above 3 out of 9 on the controller yet.

If I had a vest I think I'd either have to wear a thicker top or put my jacket lining in to keep my arms warm - which would then possibly make my torso too warm.

I'm hoping the temperature drops significantly soon so I can try the trousers out too!!

D

Although, the only think I don't like about the Gerbing jacket is that you can only connect the power lead inside the jacket, this meant buying an extension lead just to allow me to tuck the jacket into my trousers - otherwise there's a nasty breeze up the front that pretty much makes the jacket useless.

D

I had the Keis vest and now have the warm n safe jacket. Jacket is a far superior garment for quality, fit and comfort. Just wear a wicking layer underneath and no liner in outer jacket. No excess bulk and very, very comfortable. Highly recommended. Have just purchased the heated gloves to match.
Riderz are great to deal with. Any queries give them a ring. They know what they are talking about.

I had the Keis vest and now have the warm n safe jacket. Jacket is a far superior garment for quality, fit and comfort. Just wear a wicking layer underneath and no liner in outer jacket. No excess bulk and very, very comfortable. Highly recommended. Have just purchased the heated gloves to match.
Riderz are great to deal with. Any queries give them a ring. They know what they are talking about.

Just looked. The Keis vest is about a third of the price of the Warm & Safe so it is hardly a surprise that W&S make a superior product. You would be rather disappointed if it was any other way. I still think the Keis is a good product for the price. I paid £75 for an X10 but they are a little over £60 now as the are selling off the X10 cheaply as there is a newer version out. https://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/v501/

Have a warm & safe heated jacket fom riderz , a guy in the uk who imports them from US. Its thin so you can wear with base layers , heats the INSIDE of arms , only needing half power in down to 4 degrees with just a rohan merino tee shirt underneath . Gerbing short cuff xsr12 heated gloves , fit under sleeve , both controlled by warm & safe wireless dual remote controller , transmitter stores inside a pocket in the heated liner, velcro the controller to the clutch reservoir. 2 of my touring buddies have bought the same and really impressed. There's nothing wrong with gerbing jacket liners , I've still got one as well but a bit bulky , newer ones are more so , as it seems that gerbing , keis seem to want to make them dual purpose as outdoor wear as well.

Another vote for this - I have trousers n jacket with dual remote troller - awesome package, warm and seems hard wearing.

Nobody's mentioned Exo2

I went to Helmet City to have a look as their website advertised it. No longer had it in store so ended up with the Keis. No longer listed on the website. Googling shows few stockists - one of the biggest (Sportsbikeshop) show a number of discontinued items and one end of line at a reduced price, with just a few sizes left. I have no idea what is behind this loss of favour for the brand.

I've got a 30seven heated softshell jacket that fits nicely under my bike kit and looks ok off the bike. The heating elements are removable, so if you've got some ingenuity you could stick them straight into your bike kit.
www.30seven.eu/en/products/jackets

When I bought a heated jacket, I was certain that I wanted to connect my electric gloves to the end of the jacket sleeves - obviously not possible with a vest. Incidentally I am certain that I would not have been happy with a vest - even if the sleeves had not been an issue.
Hello
I have the Keis heated vest. The neck / collar is very cosy. And you definitely need an adjustable controller or you will cook yourself!
I wear the heated vest over a baselayer and under a jacket which has a winter liner.
My bike has heated grips.
So I didn't need heated gloves... If I had needed heated gloves, I would have gone for the jacket rather than vest to simplify wiring.
As others have said, if you keep your core warm, the rest of your body stays warm.
I wear thicker wool socks to keep my feet warm. Their proximity to air going past the cylinders generally seems sufficient.
So for me the vest / jacket choice was determined by gloves or heated grips.
Hope that's helpful.
JulesE

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Not sure that answer helps me to be honest.

I think it would be easier for someone with a vest to know they are too cold than someone with a jacket to guess whether a vest would do a good enough job.

I have the keis X10heated vest. Ives used it since last Christmas and its excellent. I’ve never wanted or wished I’d bought the jacket. I don’t think heated sleeves are really needed. Warming the core seems to do the job.

However...

I do wish I’d paid up for the x20vest with the heated collar because I suspect that’s worth paying up for!!

Bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner and used it for 2 winters. It is the latest style.
My issue is with the sizing. I'm an XL but the XL size was very tight under the arm pit, neck very small and the sleeves were too short for me (I an no orangutan). Went for the XXL which fit under the arms OK, sleeve length OK but the body is loose which means it does not keep you as warm as it should do. Neck is still too tight and I have to ride with it undone which means that I get a chill down the neck. Also means that I cannot do my over jacket collar up properly. I wear a neck tube but still does not seal the gap properly.
Maybe I bought the wrong jacket.
As for it's quality .... no issues.

I've got a Gerbing jacket, no quibbles about the quality, just the design.

It's not designed to be tucked in to trousers, the connection is on the inside of the jacket a few inches up from the bottom. I ended up buying an extension cord so I could tuck the jacket in, because if you don't you get an awful breeze up the front - as an all-year commuter I want to be as sealed as possible from the elements.

I think I'd go for a different brand if I could go back in time now & check for things like that.

D

Bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner and used it for 2 winters. It is the latest style.
My issue is with the sizing. I'm an XL but the XL size was very tight under the arm pit, neck very small and the sleeves were too short for me (I an no orangutan). Went for the XXL which fit under the arms OK, sleeve length OK but the body is loose which means it does not keep you as warm as it should do. Neck is still too tight and I have to ride with it undone which means that I get a chill down the neck. Also means that I cannot do my over jacket collar up properly. I wear a neck tube but still does not seal the gap properly.
Maybe I bought the wrong jacket.
As for it's quality .... no issues.
I think you've hit the nail in the head. I mean the issue with the Gerbing and Keis gear (jackets). They're neither jackets or liners. Like you, I ride all year and want to be sealed in. I always zip my Dainese jacket to the (matching) trousers.

It's been a year with the Warm & Safe jacket. I made the right choice. And they have the right approach - for motorcycle gear at least. I've even used it in the summer when crossing the Alps into Italy.

Today I made a trip down to the south coast. Bum day with thick cloud, like dusk all day and cold. The controller was in my pocket and I mistakenly turned the temp to minimum. Well, after about 10min, aware something was not right and worrying something had failed, I actually started to get cold. Finally I pulled over to check it. Discovered the mistake and wound up the temp. It's the first time I've been out in the cold and actually warmed up from being cold! God knows how I used to manage. I must be getting soft :)

Electricity is the answer and W&S has it in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Gerbing jacket with a heat controller (can't remember the make as i've had it for 13 years) worn underneth an Aerostiuch roadcrafter suit so no tucking in or fitting problems.

Me, December 2005 riding through France in -6 temps, frost forming around the lower edge of the screen. Warm as toast with heated jacket under the shitebag and wearing summer gloves thanks to the muffs.

Thick ice when stopping for petrol in Burgos at 4.30am :D.... still warm. In fact so impressed with the Gerbing jacket after a keis and another manufacturer i can't even remember the name of and a home made job using the kits available at the time, that i bought another gerbing jackets in a smaller size when i need to wear very little underneth on short journeys.

Gerbing jacket for me. I have size M as I use a large in most bike jackets fit very well .
Take liner out of you bike Jacket and were a thin long sleave top under Gerbing Jacket. I was amazed how good and comfortable it is, just a wee bit tight around the neck but I have a 17 and a half neck bigger than normal.
I ride a RT so get good weather protection .
This Jacket looks good even with bike jacket off if your getting a coffee are walking around..

Mine's great when I tuck it in, it's just a pain in the butt to do so....

I was even considering poking a hole through so the connector could be accessed from outside the jacket, but thought I'd probably fry myself.....

D

Gerbing jacket with a heat controller (can't remember the make as i've had it for 13 years) worn underneth an Aerostiuch roadcrafter suit so no tucking in or fitting problems.

Me, December 2005 riding through France in -6 temps, frost forming around the lower edge of the screen. Warm as toast with heated jacket under the shitebag and wearing summer gloves thanks to the muffs.

Thick ice when stopping for petrol in Burgos at 4.30am :D.... still warm. In fact so impressed with the Gerbing jacket after a keis and another manufacturer i can't even remember the name of and a home made job using the kits available at the time, that i bought another gerbing jackets in a smaller size when i need to wear very little underneth on short journeys.

That's a great shot Steptoe. But I did think you were double hard and would poo poo the idea of the electricity thing :)

In the end, heated clothing is great and which brand just becomes a choice, depending on what you're looking for. So I think anyone considering it should just make the leap, perhaps keeping in mind how they might wear it.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

My wife’s got a Gerbing jacket - the controller broke after 1 year and she says the sleeves get too hot. She is, however, happy to continue using it.
I have an Exo2 vest which has been enough for me in all weathers.
Warm and safe sound about the best around at the moment - I like the heated collar vest

I swear by my Keis heated jacket with controller. Commuting all year, this is my favourite bit of winter kit. Had it over 2 years now and no issues to date.

Back
Top Bottom