Action Cameras.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We have all seen them on YouTube. Speeding on the roads, dodging death, colourful vistas, me and me mate, me and the wife and how it's done videos.
But, since GoPro came about with miniaturisation of the cameras which can be mounted anywhere on the body, bike or end of the bed, a plethora of alternative models have come on the market.

From £40 to £400 and which do roughly the same.

The new Hero5 Black looks the bees knees but, to be truthful, unless you have money to burn or a professional racer cum film director, it is over the top.
I have an expensive digital camera but, I carry my phone which can take 20mP photos.

Let's have some critical reviews on what you have bought at least after one season of use.
Are the cheap ones reasonable as a weekend ride use or at the first sign of physical abuse, they fall apart.

I would like to consider one but as yet undecided to commit myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great subject.....:thumb2

Personally, I use Drift. I have a Stealth (smallest one £99) which I mount on the front of the bike and a Ghost HD (cheap from a mate, but about £150) on the helmet.
Have had them for about a year now and have had no issues. I do the odd vlog (I enjoy the editing as a hobby) every now and then so find these cameras perfect for that.... clarity and sound are ok but there are better ones out there depending on amount you want to spend.

Mainly, for me though, it's to capture any issues that may occur when out and about (have a car dash cam too) and it helps not just myself but for others safety too.

GoPro are probably the best quality, IMHO, in the market place right now but they are expensive and stick out like bricks..

:beerjug:

I've got the 'SJ4000' copy of one of the GoPro models, which cost about £80 with a couple of batteries and a package of different mounting options. There are plenty of reviews of the SJ4000: google ones by 'Techmoan' which are very detailed. I've found that the video quality is very good and my only grumble is that I haven't found a way of arranging a remote control that would work on a bike. The SJ4000 has wifi and an app which gives remote viewing and recording on/off, but that isn't useful on the bike. When the camera is in its waterproof case there is a record on/off button which needs a firm press to activate. The screen on the back of the camera indicates that it has started recording, which is fine if the camera is mounted with the screen in view. If it is fixed to a helmet you have to trust that it is switched on.

The other possible drawback is that it can't be powered from the bike whilst in its waterproof case, but I guess that applies to GoPro as well. The battery lasts well over 2 hours so for sporadic recording of a day's ride it is fine.

For the money is does a very good job and of course it can be used in all sorts of non-riding situations. If you only want to video your rides though, with a camera mounted on the bike then there might be better choices, with handlebar remote control, and external power.

Ride magazine did a test of these action cameras a few months ago. Surprising results but the basic Drift was tested and no GoPro. There is a company that uses Drift cameras for the track day shoots and it has proven to be a tough camera. GoPro seems to be the default choice but you need to study the specs to make sure you buy what you want or will need for whatever purpose you intend to use it.

I have the Garmin virb with a remote on/off Velcro to the clutch master cylinder and powered from the bike socket

You can't go wrong with a GoPro. I use Hero 4 silver as screen makes it easier to set up. Spare batteries and other "essential" extras very cheap as lots sold and China are doing a roaring trade in rip offs.

I brought an olfi onefive and it came out trumps against the GoPro, however it's really a copy of the sjcam m20 tho the lens is sony is exmor R instead of the m20 uses the Sony imx lens however not sure you can tell the difference and the m20 is half the price

Hero 4 black, amazing piece of kit run it off your phone or remote

i have owned a few, but not a gopro, really happy with the HD Ghost.

Any camera that's used in deep seas & by astronauts working in space gets my vote. GoPro.

I have a Gitup 2 Chinese built camera every bit as good as a equivalent go pro, glass lens ability to use external mic and big advantage is the inbuilt image stabilisation all for about hundred odd quid

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2016/1...up-git2-pro-camera-what-more-do-you-need.html

Example vid

http://youtu.be/D-PYYmEKNpM

Surprisingly good quality and image stabilisation. I'm impressed. What is the ventilation on the lid like when you mount the camera on the front of a chinbar? Does it restrict airflow at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a gitup git 2, and a ghost S, the ghost is a far better video cam in low light conditions, and also when its raining the ghost clears water from the lens better,and battery life is far better. but thats about all its better at.

It's good that they are making it smaller as it is illegal in some countries to have it, for example Austria :)

Surprisingly good quality and image stabilisation. I'm impressed. What is the ventilation on the lid like when you mount the camera on the front of a chinbar? Does it restrict airflow at all?

Havnt noticed any real difference in ventilation tbh but I dont have it on all the time just when I want to film

Havnt noticed any real difference in ventilation tbh but I dont have it on all the time just when I want to film

Thank you for letting me know.

i have a gitup git 2, and a ghost S, the ghost is a far better video cam in low light conditions, and also when its raining the ghost clears water from the lens better,and battery life is far better. but thats about all its better at.

I agree the Git2 has a sweetspot it gets a bit dodgy in very bright light some of this footage is a bit borderline in the light/dark transitions
http://youtu.be/3SULLPkg9vU

Keep it out of v bright and low light and it is great

as a casual onbike camera for recording general arseing about on your bike it is ace for £100 (that includes all accessories and good quality mic)

Back
Top Bottom