Santiago (Chile)

I´m here. :thumb2 Sorry I should have said Si Señor ;)

Ha ha,excellent.

With the risk of another flaming from Wapping,can you point me in the right direction for touring on 2 wheels ?
I've done a Google search and see there is some good riding to be had,especially oop north,but if you were heading out from the city,where would you head for a) a day trip and b) a two or three day trip ?

Would this be a good start ?

Day trip :

Two/three days :

Santiago-Combarbalá-Vicuña-Santiago ? If so would this be all tarmac or some dirt ?

I'll be a regular visitor and should be there for 4 nights later this month (if I'm fit enough to resume work) and again in Feb.

I've negotiated a discount with Ride Chile and plan to rent a different bike each month for a bit of variety.

Ta for any insider info ! :thumb

Sorry Arsey you're right there is some great riding here but most of it is 2-3 days riding away. If you have time or free flights you could get down to Osorno and hire from Moto Aventura and head out to the parks nearby. Here we have local roads/gravel up into San Jose de Maipo and up around the mountains that will keep you occupied for the a day or two. I can have a word with a couple of mates tomorrow and see what they think. For most of the hardcore off roading they head mostly north and at this time of the year it´s perfect to head south. I´ll be here till the 28th then off to Cape Town for 4 weeks, so hopefully we can meet up for a beer or two.

Sorry Arsey you're right there is some great riding here but most of it is 2-3 days riding away. If you have time or free flights you could get down to Osorno and hire from Moto Aventura and head out to the parks nearby. Here we have local roads/gravel up into San Jose de Maipo and up around the mountains that will keep you occupied for the a day or two. I can have a word with a couple of mates tomorrow and see what they think. For most of the hardcore off roading they head mostly north and at this time of the year it´s perfect to head south. I´ll be here till the 28th then off to Cape Town for 4 weeks, so hopefully we can meet up for a beer or two.

Worth 12 quid to get local knowledge like that on tap :thumb2

Ok ta.

I should probably stick to roads as need to be careful in case I end up with a busted leg whilst a full Dreamliner sits on the tarmac without a driver !!!

Assuming I'm fit,I'm arriving in town on 18th Jan and departing 23rd and then back 13 to 16 Feb.

That´s strange, your maps have only just popped up. If I can remember right the Vicuna run has some dirt and the run from Los Andes up to the border is all tarmac but a nice ride. To Los Andes is just a highway. If you had a little more time theres a great pass east of Vicuna to the highest pass between Chile and Argentina. It´s also the Elqui Valley, home of Pisco, the national drink of Chile.

Will you be staying at one of those posh hotels in the city?

That´s strange, your maps have only just popped up. If I can remember right the Vicuna run has some dirt and the run from Los Andes up to the border is all tarmac but a nice ride. To Los Andes is just a highway. If you had a little more time theres a great pass east of Vicuna to the highest pass between Chile and Argentina. It´s also the Elqui Valley, home of Pisco, the national drink of Chile.

Will you be staying at one of those posh hotels in the city?

The longest trip we currently have is 7 days,which gives us 3 clear days in Santiago,ie arrive morning of day 2 then free to play days 3,4 and 5.Leave midday ish day 6 and land back in London on day 7,flight time a mere 14 hours 40 minutes.

Staying at big city centre hotel but I won't publish on here.

Make sure to take a day or two to explore the city itself. The central market is quite an experience!
Patagonia-122-X2.jpg

Make sure to take a day or two to explore the city itself. The central market is quite an experience!

I will but used to go there years ago but only for 24 hours or so ,so it'll be good to get some time there.The skiing is quite good too,though you get some funny looks leaving the UK with skis in July !!!

Arsey, I rode from Santiago to Mendoza and back via Uspallata, great way to spent 2-3 days. Ruta 7 gives great views while the "way of 365 curves" speaks for itself, think it was Ruta 52, mainly type 1 gravel surface which is quite enjoyable, I still have the paperwork from the hire company in Santiago who give you the required documents to cross over into Argentina. I used their 1200TC GSA and it was very reasonable price wise.
If you want any more info feel free to PM me.

JimmyMac

Just remembered the Christo Redentador border crossing, was amazing mountain pass with big looping hairpins, you've got my memory jolted, thank you.

JimmyMac

Arsey, I rode from Santiago to Mendoza and back via Uspallata, great way to spent 2-3 days. Ruta 7 gives great views while the "way of 365 curves" speaks for itself, think it was Ruta 52, mainly type 1 gravel surface which is quite enjoyable, I still have the paperwork from the hire company in Santiago who give you the required documents to cross over into Argentina. I used their 1200TC GSA and it was very reasonable price wise.
If you want any more info feel free to PM me.

JimmyMac

Just remembered the Christo Redentador border crossing, was amazing mountain pass with big looping hairpins, you've got my memory jolted, thank you.

JimmyMac

Ta.

Looks like a fun place.All info noted !! :thumb2

Are you on this new "longest scheduled flight in the world" run? It was on the radio the other day.

Are you on this new "longest scheduled flight in the world" run? It was on the radio the other day.

Nah,I think that will be Qantas with their Perth-London at about 18 hours.

London-Santiago is 14 hrs 40mins,but it's still the longest scheduled service ever operated by BA.

Should be a goody.Bike riding in (our) winter and skiing in summer,with some large lumps of cow and wine tasting thrown in.

Nah,I think that will be Qantas with their Perth-London at about 18 hours.

London-Santiago is 14 hrs 40mins,but it's still the longest scheduled service ever operated by BA.

Should be a goody.Bike riding in (our) winter and skiing in summer,with some large lumps of cow and wine tasting thrown in.

Sounds like a great gig all round:thumb2

Having a few beers with the lads tonight so hopefully will get some more local info. If you want to hop the border for a run to Uspallata then onto either San Juan or Mendoza by the gravel way then back from San Juan/Mendoza by road, that´s a nice run and a little arduous in places. Customs normally is pretty quick unless holiday or weekend. My (girlfriends) place is 2 mins from the Universidad Catolica so access to most of Santiago is easy on the Metro. I can give you a heads up over a map and a beer when you arrive.

Having a few beers with the lads tonight so hopefully will get some more local info. If you want to hop the border for a run to Uspallata then onto either San Juan or Mendoza by the gravel way then back from San Juan/Mendoza by road, that´s a nice run and a little arduous in places. Customs normally is pretty quick unless holiday or weekend. My (girlfriends) place is 2 mins from the Universidad Catolica so access to most of Santiago is easy on the Metro. I can give you a heads up over a map and a beer when you arrive.

Ok great.

I'll give you a shout,all assuming I can bluff my way past the quack and get flying again !!!

Got my medical back today so have just called up Ride Chile and reserved a couple of bikes for end of next week.Best they had left was GS800s as high season.

Should be just fine for a couple of days pottering !

Back
Top Bottom