EXC headlight bulb upgrade.....any personal recommendations

Bounce

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The standard headlight bulb on my EXC is poo, simply put.

So...does anyone have a good recommendation (i,e have actually used it) for a better quality replacement, halogen and/or LED?

There are loads to choose from of course, but would prefer to buy just a bulb rather than convert the entire system.

Thx in advance :thumb2

I guess it's the same bulb as in my 690, a ba20d. It's so shockingly bad I had to almost roll to a halt on an unlit dual carriageway as I couldn't see anything. Cyclops do LED bulbs (I've not tried one) which look about the best offering for the original light.

I wanted to fit the motominded LED setup but the mask and headlight on mine are the small one like the exc so it won't fit. Instead I've ordered 2x 40w 3500 lumen led lights from china. One in spot, the other in flood. I've also got an oem headlight connector so just have to fab up a bracket to fit the mask. Hopefully it'll make a real difference.

I fitted Cyclops bulbs to my 1190 at the w/e. Really, really bright in the garage and I'll be out on the bike for the first time tomorrow so will let you know what I think.........

Andres

I guess it's the same bulb as in my 690, a ba20d. It's so shockingly bad I had to almost roll to a halt on an unlit dual carriageway as I couldn't see anything. Cyclops do LED bulbs (I've not tried one) which look about the best offering for the original light.

I wanted to fit the motominded LED setup but the mask and headlight on mine are the small one like the exc so it won't fit. Instead I've ordered 2x 40w 3500 lumen led lights from china. One in spot, the other in flood. I've also got an oem headlight connector so just have to fab up a bracket to fit the mask. Hopefully it'll make a real difference.

Yes Dan, BA20d......there are loads to choose from that all, of course, claim brightness improvements but I'm struggling to find a confirmed recommendation from someone who has actually found 'the one'.....:D

I fitted Cyclops bulbs to my 1190 at the w/e. Really, really bright in the garage and I'll be out on the bike for the first time tomorrow so will let you know what I think.........

Andres

Thx Andres....I've read about cyclops as also referenced in Dans post......sport touring stock them so may give them a call :thumb2

The Cyclops is very good but expensive, I have one on my 950SE.

Considering how often dirt bikes get used in the dark there's a couple of cheaper alternatives:
Use an Osram bulb taking power direct from the battery (if your DC output is enough) and run it via a relay, in fact I always try to run any lights through relays, it gives much improved lighting.

Many have had good results with cheap ebay led spot lights but again LEDs only run from DC voltage so check it can cope or fit a rectifier.

The Cyclops is very good but expensive, I have one on my 950SE.

Considering how often dirt bikes get used in the dark there's a couple of cheaper alternatives:
Use an Osram bulb taking power direct from the battery (if your DC output is enough) and run it via a relay, in fact I always try to run any lights through relays, it gives much improved lighting.

Many have had good results with cheap ebay led spot lights but again LEDs only run from DC voltage so check it can cope or fit a rectifier.

The cyclops & rectifier = £68 from sport touring, which as you say, is a lot of dough for limited night riding; I'll try a 'super bright' halogen for starters :D

The cyclops & rectifier = £68 from sport touring, which as you say, is a lot of dough for limited night riding; I'll try a 'super bright' halogen for starters :D

And then get a mountain biking headtorch and your sorted :beerjug:

Have they plastic lenses? Shirley that rules out the heat from a halogen bulb??

Disclaimer:- I've never had a KTM but ridden with a few, in the dark they may as well have had a candle on the front mudguard, the riders seemed stressed.

Indeed, you can't argue with that :)

FWIW I rode to work early this morning, country roads and town all in the dark . The bulbs are pretty amazing, all the brightness of a HID conversion but none of the 'scatter', just a focused beam with proper cut off that's much much brighter :)

A cheapo LED off ebay has to be worth a try :nenau

Andres

20161218_1302281_zpsy6mak91l.jpg

An MoT tester got a bit arsey with me about the standard headlight on my 'Berg - it was bog standard and working exactly as Mr Husaberg intended. God only knows how he would have reacted if the headlight had been modified in any way!

I think that I'd tend to go with Wreford/Andres suggestion and add some cheap LEDs from eBay. But make sure they are cheap as, when you fall off and smash them, I don't want to see you in tears!

Alternatively, just follow me in the Polaris - I've now added over 250w of LED power to the standard LED headlights - when all switched on it's like a supernova!

Well I've bought a couple of 'super white' bulbs from an auto dealer on e bay (£7 delivered) and will fit one on Saturday and try them out....I'll do a before/after picture to see what the improvements are; even if there is a slight improvement I haven't spent a load of dosh :D

20161218_1302281_zpsy6mak91l.jpg

An MoT tester got a bit arsey with me about the standard headlight on my 'Berg - it was bog standard and working exactly as Mr Husaberg intended. God only knows how he would have reacted if the headlight had been modified in any way!

I think that I'd tend to go with Wreford/Andres suggestion and add some cheap LEDs from eBay. But make sure they are cheap as, when you fall off and smash them, I don't want to see you in tears!

Alternatively, just follow me in the Polaris - I've now added over 250w of LED power to the standard LED headlights - when all switched on it's like a supernova!

'May the light of the lord shine upon thee' :D

Fitted the new headlight bulb today, and TBH, it hasn't made a huge difference.....just a more of a white light .....photo shows original bulb in the bottom picture and the new bulb in the top picture....

1976dcd538e1f3f1cfd4ce86968f738c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BA20D=600 lumens. How about over 6000 lumens with both high and low beam?

Picking up some parts later so will post up pics when it's assembled.

Back
Top Bottom