Brake issue

pbboxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, looking for advice please.
A friend of mine has a 2005 RT. Had no previous issues at all but yesterday rode out and about 5 miles down the road, red triangle came on and he lost braking power (suspect servo issues)

He stopped, restarted few minutes later ans within a few miles the same happened

Ive advised to get the codes read but are you guys aware of likely causes please?

Hi, looking for advice please.
A friend of mine has a 2005 RT. Had no previous issues at all but yesterday rode out and about 5 miles down the road, red triangle came on and he lost braking power (suspect servo issues)

He stopped, restarted few minutes later ans within a few miles the same happened

Ive advised to get the codes read but are you guys aware of likely causes please?

Look at the battery first, with a multi meter, in a good state it will show 14vt, if its down to 12vt its knackered and will show ABS fault

After the battery, I believe the most common fault is the servo. Which I think you can now get a re con unit from a company in Germany.

If it is going to residual braking I suspect that the Fluid changes have not been carried out in accordance with the schedule

But you are right the codes need read anyone with a GS911 could do this easily

I suspect the servo but a difference in reading between sensors (Rear wheel furred with particles) can also cause a residual braking event

Basically it turns off the power assistance because its afraid you will lock a wheel and fall off on your arse with full power braking

Against having only residual brakes but not actually being able to stop (There's logic in there somewhere! NOT !!!)
If its "high pressure rear circuit" it seems to be the most common failure and its better to De ABS it than to risk riding on with a faulty unit

Thanks guys

He took the bike to Jeffries and they have informed him it is abs pump failure. I find this strange as the symptoms are more aligned to a servo not working, from my understanding.

I am really genuinely surprised at this. I bought the bike in March from on here and ran it fir nearly 2k miles without issue other than the battery running very low from standing. I sold the bike recently and it started, ran and went to the mot and back without any brake issues....in fact I never had a brake issue with it.

I am going to help the chap resolve it but it doesn't stack up to me

Are you aware of abs pumps being a common issue on these?

Ehm pardon the phrase but seriously "No Schit Sherlock!"

Are you aware of abs pumps being a common issue on these?

Most common failure apart from Final Drives
and definitely the scariest

There are Several "paths" you could follow but seriously if its the Servo assisted system and Definitely not the later ABS system??? (which if it turns out to be the case contact Motoscott on here he has a ride in and ride out ( a few hours later of course) service) I would just remove the servo system!

Ok, not vastly experienced in what the issues are.

Do these symptoms sound correct for pump failure?

Jeffries have apparently suggested removing abs system. Is it worth me looking for a replacement pump or are these crazy money?

Edit: thanks for the advice, re-read your reply!

My Advice find a good local independent Or look up MotoScott and ask for his opinion

Do these symptoms sound correct for pump failure?

TO be honest mate that is like me asking you how long a bit of string is!

Jeffries SHOULD have told the fault reason

It does not come up on screen ... "Eh Up Lads n Lasses! thee's ABS poomp is Fooked!"

There is a reason

i.e. Pressure too high rear circuit or front circuit

Speed sensor not showing etc etc

That info would be reet helpfooll tha knows!

Theres an indépendant BMW bike workshop in York who is well thought of for these sort of jobs.

Back
Top Bottom