BMW GS 650 F ´00 (engine is cutting out while riding)

zaza

Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, greetings from Spain.

I have bought a BMW F 650 ´00 (second hand) and I have problems with it.

The engine is cutting out at idle or even riding (very dangerous). It´s like if you switch off the key from ON to OFF, but the clock is working. However, you have no lights, no rpm, no signals, no power. When you wait some seconds, energy come again you can switch on the bike normally. Imagine that you received a PEM, it´s like that.

For example, from my garage to mechanic (1,5 km), the bike switched off NINE TIMES!!!!

Yesterday, I left the motorbike at mechanic and he told me that a cable from the ignition key was broken and touched, creating a shortcircuit. However, after receiving the bike, problems appear again. Today, mechanic is going to check all cables from ignition key.

Has anyone experience about this problem?
Sorry for my english :beerjug:

A common fault is the wiring is known to chafe around the headstock. Does it happen if you turn the bars from lock to lock? Have a look here - http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/WiringRepair.html

Th ignition barrel connections in the base are also prone to wear on older bikes.

Another very basic check is to make sure the battery terminals are tight, as loose connections can cause all sorts of running issues.

..... another very basic check is to make sure the battery terminals are tight, as loose connections can cause all sorts of running issues.

That would be my first thoughts :thumb

Had a guy 1200 off the ferry with exactly the same symptoms, suggested the battery terminals, "No" he said, "They've been checked, they're tight!"

I checked them and they weren't :rob

They need to be c l e a n and t i g h t :D

Welcome to all things UKGSer Zaza. No problems with your English, please be assured its much better than my Spanish :thumb

:beerjug:

Hi again,

The motorbike has been at mechanic from the last thursday and today he called me.

The mechanic said that the motorbike was out of gas (no fuel), so for that reason, the engine is cutting out (when I left the motorbike, gas led panel was on), however I have my doubt about that. Ok, I understand if you are out of gas, the motorbike begins to decrease velocity until it stops, but how it´s possible that all electricity goes out?, like if you push ON to OFF. I don´t understand that.
Besides, he said me that the injector fuel was empty of gas, some air enters, and the motorbike stopped.

I have a Cbf 125 with fuel injection and NEVER happened something like that, including when the bike was riding at very low fuel.

It´s that a kidding or what? Maybe it´s time to move to another mechanic?

Running out of petrol wouldn't cause loss of electrics zaza :eek:

Try another mechanic ... and ask him to check the battery terminals are tight!

That´s what I thought. One thing is to be out of gas, and another thing it´s your motorbike switch off while you are riding with no reason.

Battery terminals look like fine.

But I don´t understand, if you dont know the issue, tell me the truth. Tomorrow I´ll recover the motorbike and I am going to visit another mechanic. :-(

That´s what I thought. One thing is to be out of gas, and another thing it´s your motorbike switch off while you are riding with no reason.

Battery terminals look like fine.

But I don´t understand, if you dont know the issue, tell me the truth. Tomorrow I´ll recover the motorbike and I am going to visit another mechanic. :-(

They may look fine but are they tight?

Yes, they are tights. I bought battery terminals grease too, but the problem goes on :-(.

In some hours I´ll go to the mechanic. Then, I will ask if it´s the same that the motorbike switch off completely, with no lights, no panel, no RPM (down to 0) (in my case) or if it´s only an engine stops, like when you have the idle to low and near to a traffic light, the RPM goes down and stops the engine.

In my opinion, they are different things.

I'm no expert but it sounds like you need to do a throttle body sync as my GS had the same symptoms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm no expert but it sounds like you need to do a throttle body sync as my GS had the same symptoms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will cause rough running if not set, but not loss of electrics!

Bike cutting out while riding

You may find that the Throttle Idle actuator valve needs a good soak in Carb Cleaning fluid. Lift off the airbox attached to the oil tank and its a black fitting with an electrical block connector attached. Undo both the screws(careful not to drop them into the abyss) Pull it out of the housing and its should be a nice clean brass plunger , but it wont be, it'll be black with shite & carbon, clean it till it shines, do the same to the throttle body as the oil mist from the motor is channeled down here, also worth a mention, that if its been overfilled with oil, that also goes straight down the orifice, hence the black gunge. Replace the item and ancillaries and that should do the trick. The bike I bought had a similar problem, last owner had the alarm completely removed and several new side stand switches fitted and sold it for peanuts as it was financially screwing him.

Engine cutting out while riding.

I had a similar problem on my F650gs twin last year.

The engine would cut out when coming to a stop, either coasting or braking. It would cut out in traffic when stationary which was very annoying and dangerous.

I tried all the things suggested by our learned members of this forum and even mechanics but to no avail.

In November I gave the bike its annual service and I fitted new Iridium spark plugs, hey presto! No more issues with engine cutting out.

Might be worth a go.

Good luck :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom